Sex of pekin chicks

Moderator: Moderators

Shonagh
Chick
Chick

Sex of pekin chicks

Post by Shonagh » 16 Jul 2013, 00:30

Broody hen has hatched five pekin chicks almost three weeks ago and was wondering about how to tell if they are boys or girls.

There is a very noticeable difference between their wings and wondered if that's the tell.

The two lavenders have long full wings and two of the silver partridge have short wings with only a longer feather at the top. The third silver also has a long full wing.

When can you really tell?

Also wondered when the chicks can go out with the other hens. We only had the hen a couple of months before she went broody and she was just beginning to fit in. Now that she has been in the coop on eggs they seem to be back to fighting. I know she is being protective but should I keep them separate for a good few months? I can put a gate up and give them different areas of the run.

Thanks again,

Shonagh

Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Re: Sex of pekin chicks

Post by Henwife » 16 Jul 2013, 06:16

The combs and wattles of the cocks will be noticably redder than those of the pullets before they're 6 weeks old. Those that have really obvious tails at a couple of weeks are usually pullets too, but you need to have marked them as sometimes you'll get a slow featherer (I use small cable ties of different colours, replaced as the chicks grow)
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.