Broody hell!

Moderator: Moderators

Woodland Hen
Pullet
Pullet

Broody hell!

Post by Woodland Hen » 20 Jun 2013, 12:54

I went away for a week....at that time one broody silver pencilled sitting on 8 sp eggs, one broody Yokohama on 12 eggs. Left the Yoko in the breeding pen and put in another nest box for the other 2 hens as everywhere else full and crossed my fingers, stupid me #-o

Came home to find all 3 Yokos in one nest box, all broody. 2 partridge Wyandottes broody and on eggs, one barred Plymouth rock broody also sat on eggs....not sure how many.

In the shed for the layers there are 3 more savaging me every time I collect eggs.

The sin bin already has 2 others in it so in total 11 broody hens and no where to put them to either hatch or de-broody. I am getting really fed up :roll:

To make matters worse the Yoko eggs obviously started to hatch last night, so this morning I found 9 chicks under the 3 hen pile up. So after a lot of shuffling I have 2 hens sharing the chicks and the remaining hen brooding the remaining eggs, and the final twist is that the Yoko chicks are not pure, I don't know how but 3 of them are black, looking like their mother had a fling with the barred Plymouth rock who was living in the next pen. :-&

So now off to borrow another dog crate from a friend, buy more chick crumbs and more chick drinkers as mine are all in use.

Note to self, ensure next time I go away that the people looking after the chooks know about broody hens and to check under any hen they find in a nest box, and remove the eggs. :thumbright:
Barred Plymouth Rocks, Silver Pencilled and Partridge Wyandottes, 24 cows, 10 sheep, 3 horses, a cat, a dog..........always knackered!

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Re: Broody hell!

Post by drfish » 20 Jun 2013, 12:57

Yeah, but would you have it any other way ;)

Sounds like fun.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

Woodland Hen
Pullet
Pullet

Post by Woodland Hen » 21 Jun 2013, 17:10

Well I would quite like more eggs at the moment....not enough for my usual customers with so many not laying. My own fault for being a softy, I should have chucked them off the eggs when I got home last week, but I have a real thing about not allowing part incubated ones to die.

The silver pencilled has hatched hers now, have seen at least 4 chicks but she hasn't got off the nest yet so don't know how many she has.

The partridge Wyandotte and barred Plymouth rock probably due next week sometime I guess, but I don't know when they started sitting.

2 more broody ones gone in the sin bin this afternoon, so I am getting there.

Then I found one of the Plymouth rocks who is in with the rhode cockerel sitting today, it's never ending.
Barred Plymouth Rocks, Silver Pencilled and Partridge Wyandottes, 24 cows, 10 sheep, 3 horses, a cat, a dog..........always knackered!

CP

Post by CP » 22 Jun 2013, 10:23

Oh dear! :lol:

We have about 6 hens trying to go broody at the moment & 20 eggs in the incubator. Not sure whether to try fostering them onto some of the broodies when they're due in a week's time. :-k
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero

NCOTB
Pullet
Pullet

Post by NCOTB » 25 Jun 2013, 02:39

Got 3 more gone broody, thats on top of the 5 on eggs & 11 with chicks, 30? chicks in brooders :-k plus just put more eggs in incy :-$

Woodland Hen
Pullet
Pullet

Post by Woodland Hen » 25 Jun 2013, 17:20

16 either with chicks or eggs!!! where do you put them all???

Only 2 more left to hatch theres now.
Chicks everywhere! and I only have 5 with chicks 2 with eggs and 1 lot in the brooder. Usining every drinker and feeder I own, plus a collection of plant sauces pinched from the geraniums.

NCOTB
Pullet
Pullet

Post by NCOTB » 26 Jun 2013, 01:47

Mine are mainly littlies so 6 (now 8) are raising chicks together in pairs, the others are in arks/hutches/large dog cage with chicks. Had 2 more hatch (2 mums) 1 lot of eggs under broody didnt hatch. More due next week I think? Ive lost track #-o

After only hatching 8 in total last year & a bad run earlier in the year, its an improvement :grin:

Lots of silkie x chicks/growers for sale!! mainly girls I think