Advice needed

Moderator: Moderators

Shonagh
Chick
Chick

Advice needed

Post by Shonagh » 11 Jun 2013, 09:10

Morning all,

I have a broody hen and we have decided to get her some eggs which should arrive tomorrow.

I am looking for any advice anyone can give as this is my first attempt.

I think there is a post regarding this but I can't seem to find it.

Should the eggs be rested when they arrive?

What is the best way to get the eggs under her?

Please tell me anything that you think is useful.

Many thanks in advance

Shonagh

gazeds
Chick
Chick

Re: Advice needed

Post by gazeds » 11 Jun 2013, 10:14

leave the egg's rest for at least 12 hour's, I lift my broody hen off the nest for a bit of food, and place the egg's in the nest, some place the egg's under them at night.

subruss

Post by subruss » 11 Jun 2013, 10:15

Resting the eggs is a personnel choice I dont bother myself as I dont see the difference between resting on the kitchen table or resting under the hen :) and the results always seem to be the same . If she is not aggressive just put the eggs next to her and she will sort them out herself if aggressive same objective but more likley to get pecked hands,unless you can get her off the nest for a short while then just place them in the nest for when she gets back. Keep her separate from the other hens as they will try and lay in her nest. have water and food near by that she can get to, for when she takes a break. Dont worry if she stay off the eggs for quite a while, some of my birds stay off the eggs for over an hour and some birds dont leave the eggs for days at a time.When she does come of the nest stand by for some really big smelly poo,s. Apart from all this just leave her to it try not to faff around checking things every 2 mins :) :thumbright:

laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Post by laffinfowl » 11 Jun 2013, 10:28

Seperate housing from the other birds is the best way to go,this can be a simple wooden box(old rabbit hutch is ideal) either kept in the run or somewhere safe from predators.
Place some dummy eggs in the box/hutch dust bedding well with louse powder and the bird will need doing too,let her settle on the dummy eggs,this will tell you whether she is serious about sitting or not.
As some at first think they want to do it and then change their minds,i usually see how they go for 2 or 3 days and if they are still sitting tight then the hatching eggs are placed under her when she has settled down for the night.
Best to just feed either straight feed wheat or mixed grain as she will be less likely to foul the eggs with droppings during incubation,food/water placed out in the run attached to the box to encourage her to come out and stretch her legs,when you see that she is coming off the eggs once a day to eat/drink and poo(which will be a large smelly lump) you should be all set and then the less you interfere with her the better.
Its up to you whether you candle the eggs(i do on day 12) or not but it does ensure that the hen is not wasting herself sitting on unviable eggs for three weeks,wait patiently for 21 days and hopefully nature will do the rest.
Chick crumb and a shallow dish for water should be provided near hatch time and she will bring them out when she thinks its time,she will also decide when any unviable eggs are not going to hatch and leave them to brood whatever chicks hatch,good luck and let us know how you get on. :thumbright:

Shonagh
Chick
Chick

Post by Shonagh » 11 Jun 2013, 10:42

This will be day three of her sitting. She was sitting on china eggs that were in the nest box. She shows every symptom listed. Clucking, plucking feathers and is desperate to get back to the nest box if we have thrown her out.

I have another coop she can stay in and I will build her an enclosed run asap.

It's all rather exciting!

laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Post by laffinfowl » 11 Jun 2013, 10:48

Shonagh wrote:This will be day three of her sitting. She was sitting on china eggs that were in the nest box. She shows every symptom listed. Clucking, plucking feathers and is desperate to get back to the nest box if we have thrown her out.

I have another coop she can stay in and I will build her an enclosed run asap.

It's all rather exciting!
Ah well then looks like she is serious about sitting,when she has settled in her new house i,d place the hatching eggs under her when she has settled down for the night,cross the fingers and hope for some chicks,good luck :thumbright:

Shonagh
Chick
Chick

Post by Shonagh » 14 Jun 2013, 18:50

Back again!

Eggs successfully under but broody hen is really not looking after herself.

I have been turfing her out the coop once a day to make sure she has has had something to eat and drink.

Is this right? Or should I leave her be? I don't even think she's pooped in days.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,

Shonagh

subruss

Post by subruss » 14 Jun 2013, 19:00

Leave her be, just have some food and water nearby that she can get if she wants, I have some birds that dont come off the eggs for days at a time and others that are off every morning so it her choice really :thumbright:

Shonagh
Chick
Chick

Post by Shonagh » 16 Jun 2013, 23:34

Thank you!

Left her alone and she has been out herself today. Massive poop left as foretold.

She's doing really well and fingers crossed for a good hatching!

Shonagh

Miss Chooks
Chick
Chick

Post by Miss Chooks » 18 Jun 2013, 16:26

How exciting! you must keep us up-dated! :-)

Shonagh
Chick
Chick

Post by Shonagh » 18 Jun 2013, 18:44

I will.

Will try and post some pics once they arrive.

And there will be many more questions to come!

Shonagh

Miss Chooks
Chick
Chick

Post by Miss Chooks » 27 Jun 2013, 15:07

How's she doing Shonagh? :-)

Shonagh
Chick
Chick

Post by Shonagh » 04 Jul 2013, 11:49

All is fabulous. Chicks have hatched yesterday. :grin:

Had a look in this morning and have seen two but she is not really keen to show them off. Quite sure there are more though. Think the ones we saw were one of each colour we put under.

Any other advice for this stage would be really helpful.

They are in a pen on shavings so I have put some oatmeal in there food.

Going to put marbles round the drinker.

Anything else I need to think about?

Can't wait to see them and very proud of my broody hen!

laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Post by laffinfowl » 04 Jul 2013, 14:21

Ah well done Shonagh and good luck with them,just make sure they are able to get in and out of the coop easily when she does bring them out as any left stranded will catch chills quickly,and shallow water holder for the first 5 or 6 days,they,ll waste a bit of crumb at the start but mama will teach them that its food and they,ll be away with it.

Miss Chooks
Chick
Chick

Post by Miss Chooks » 04 Jul 2013, 16:14

Aww so happy for you Shonagh. Post some piccies when you can :-)