Sexing Cream Legbar chicks

Moderator: Moderators

penguindo

Sexing Cream Legbar chicks

Post by penguindo » 19 Jun 2011, 20:21

Ok so I'm sure this gets asked a million times on here but how do I sex cream legbar chicks?

Is it black spot means a girl and white means a boy.....OR is it just light colour means boy and darker is a girl??

I only have 1 legbar chick so got nothing to compare it to apart from leghorn chicks....its dark compared to them!

Hope someone can enlighten me.

Thankyou :)

Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Re: Sexing Cream Legbar chicks

Post by Henwife » 19 Jun 2011, 21:45

Dark for dame and pale for male (thank you Mojo). If it looks like a brown leghorn chick, then it's female; a clear brown stripe from beak to bum. Males are smokey and ill defined. Ignore headspots, both sexes can have them.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.

Lindsay
Hen
Hen

Post by Lindsay » 19 Jun 2011, 23:20

Here is photo of my (sort of) Legbars - it is quite easy to tell the difference between males and females once you have something to compare them with.
Chicks.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

penguindo

Post by penguindo » 20 Jun 2011, 09:27

Thankyou :) It's a little boy. Anyone in search of a legbar cockeral for breeding? Hehe

kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by kated » 20 Jun 2011, 19:06

penguindo wrote:Thankyou :) It's a little boy. Anyone in search of a legbar cockeral for breeding? Hehe
Yes but not this year. Daughter in Cumbria wants one but it must be top notch and she can't take one until next year so that may not suit you.

penguindo

Post by penguindo » 22 Jun 2011, 10:32

I can wait until then...he should be top notch, i paid enough for the egg! I'm down in gloucestershire though. Bit of a distance.

kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by kated » 22 Jun 2011, 12:12

penguindo wrote:I can wait until then...he should be top notch, i paid enough for the egg! I'm down in gloucestershire though. Bit of a distance.
Understood.

tyncat
Chick
Chick

Post by tyncat » 24 Jun 2011, 22:19

Lindsay wrote:Here is photo of my (sort of) Legbars - it is quite easy to tell the difference between males and females once you have something to compare them with.
Chicks.JPG

Excuse me for being thick, I have 6 eggs 1 day into incubation, may I ask that you say which chicks in the pic are the girls, thanks ... thicko lol

:fish

Lindsay
Hen
Hen

Post by Lindsay » 24 Jun 2011, 23:39

Not thick! My fault - I should have said.

The two in front which are paler with no strong markings are boys. The three in a sort of a line behind them are girls. The photo isn't terribly clear - it is more obvious in real life. Once you know which is which, they are easy to tell apart :)

tyncat
Chick
Chick

Post by tyncat » 24 Jun 2011, 23:53

got you, I think, lets hope so or I'll be sending cockerals through to you in a few months time lol

Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by Henwife » 25 Jun 2011, 07:14

If there are any that hatch that you're unsure about, consider them cocks and cull. If a pullet isn't clearly marked at hatch and you keep and breed from her, or even wose, sell her eggs for hatching, you'll be adding to the poor quality CLBs that are available.

Good cocks are almost a case of hen's teeth. Of the 52 male CLBs hatched this year, only two have been worth growing on, and both of those are sold.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.

andoy

Post by andoy » 25 Jun 2011, 07:21

Henwife, just out of curiosity what sort of age do you know if the CLB males are any good (or when you make main selection)?

Lindsay
Hen
Hen

Post by Lindsay » 25 Jun 2011, 07:47

And what are your criteria?

billythekid

Post by billythekid » 04 Jan 2015, 22:47

Legbar20chicks200061.jpg
tyncat wrote:
Lindsay wrote:Here is photo of my (sort of) Legbars - it is quite easy to tell the difference between males and females once you have something to compare them with.
Chicks.JPG

Excuse me for being thick, I have 6 eggs 1 day into incubation, may I ask that you say which chicks in the pic are the girls, thanks ... thicko lol

:fish
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.