ATTENTION newby hatchers

Moderator: Moderators

Re: ATTENTION newby hatchers

Postby petejw76 » 16 Jan 2011, 19:29

have had a look on the net and the only place i can find this is on forums. not sure if same rules apply do they?
petejw76

Liked in: 1 post

Postby andoy » 16 Jan 2011, 19:44

petejw76 wrote:have had a look on the net and the only place i can find this is on forums. not sure if same rules apply do they?

Yes it does apply to anything replicated on the web. Including forum. If you want to refer to content that is not yours, it is best to link to it. Owner may not have a problem with it, but just thought I'd mention it as some people do get upset (I've know web sites brought down).
andoy

Postby Allister » 16 Jan 2011, 23:56

Thanks Jojosarah for the info and advice. I think I will start mid - end of Feb with 3 or 4 eggs.
Allister
Allister
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 0 post

Postby jojosarah » 17 Jan 2011, 08:49

Also remember that you want to aim for more than one to hatch at least as you would be best to avoid single hatchlings, so i usually put 5 or 6 eggs in.
jojosarah

Postby SkyChild » 17 Jan 2011, 10:28

Smileysal - lovely bird :)
SkyChild
Chick
Chick

Postby mojo » 17 Jan 2011, 12:23

and remember newbies unless you are prepared to cull excess coqs its better to start with ready sexed DAY OLDS and raise them all the fun of growing themup without the heartache of culling
Give a smile away every day to a stranger............and a hug to a friend
mojo
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Liked in: 25 posts

Postby Allister » 18 Jan 2011, 16:34

HI Mojo

I think the Day old chicks might be a better route for me. I would have a big problem if I had to put down a healthy animal. I could put one down to stop it l suffering if I had to but woudl rather go to the vet or as in the case of my very old dog had the vet come to the house which was more expensive but less stressful for the dog.
I need to get more information and hope to get lots at the Scot. Nat. on Sunday
Thanks for the advice.
Allister
Allister
Chick
Chick

Postby andoy » 18 Jan 2011, 16:42

just make sure if you are buying sexed chicks, make sure to get them from good breeder. I'm afraid some rogues do try to fob you off with a group of males :angryfire:
andoy

Postby rcleffler » 18 Jan 2011, 17:32

Henwife wrote:The easiest way for newby hatchers is a broody hen. I am a firm believer in starting there and once you know what should happen, only then use an incubator & follow Mojo's instructions until you have sufficient experience to add your own variations!

I am thinking this is the way I will start. Although this route still seems intimidating to me I think Mama Hen knows what to do best and she will probably do a much better job than me. I would be so nervous I know I would screw something up!!!
rcleffler

Postby laffinfowl » 18 Jan 2011, 18:13

You,ll be fine,hopefully you,ll get a good broody hen and she,ll do all the work go for you :thumbright: It,s more or less the same principle for broodie as incubating,less interference the better.
laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 197 posts

Postby Allister » 18 Jan 2011, 19:20

hi
My Hens are ex-batts and have laid every day since I got them in October. They are out all day and every day despite the Rain , snow and freezing weather. All they do is eat, dig and lay when do they go broodie?
Allister
Allister
Chick
Chick

Postby tweedy » 18 Jan 2011, 19:39

Not guaranteed to go broody Allister, some never do, some once and some seem to be constantly broody but generally come the warmer months.
tweedy
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby steve-mport-cumbria » 17 May 2011, 13:45

this is my 1st time trying to hatch eggs i only started keeping hens a month ago i have 1 crifel coucou 1 banty 4 ginger hybrids from egg farmer 1 large rooster
ive borrowed a poly incubator from a freind got my temp sorted and been turning every few hours i have 8 eggs in in total hoping all goes well :grin:

i too own a pair of eagle owl so making use of the roung roosters will be no problem
steve-mport-cumbria

Postby Raine777 » 26 May 2011, 06:40

Hi All!

My first hatch of Quail have just started. Only going small with a Brinsea Mini Advanced, but am so happy with the results! \:D/

We are intending to keep the males for meat and hens for eggs. We have two sets of quail at the moment, so the hens have an unrelated cock to run with.

Been up since 5:30 watching them hatch, it's so great! :bounce:

Well, 5 out of 12 so far and plenty of time yet.

Lauraine
Raine777

Postby tweedy » 26 May 2011, 07:53

Well done =D>
tweedy
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 3 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Eggs and Growers