ATTENTION newby hatchers

Moderator: Moderators

mojo
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

ATTENTION newby hatchers

Post by mojo » 06 Apr 2010, 14:40

if you know the following please go to another post...HATCHING CHICKENS..always read the manuel TWICE......age of eggs doesnt effect the days counted in incubby........hatching day counting ie Day1 starts 24 hours after putting in incubby .................turning stops 18 full days of incubation......humidity is raised on day18...............try not to open incubby till first chick hatched is 12 hours old...............leave incubby running 25 full days before dumping eggs.......always read the manuel before you put away........sterilize the incubby as soon as cold after hatch finished................hope this helps as am asked the above every spring.............regards Mojo.
Give a smile away every day to a stranger............and a hug to a friend

crazypianolady
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Re: ATTENTION newby hatchers

Post by crazypianolady » 06 Apr 2010, 16:19

Maybe a moderator could make this into a 'sticky', please? :)

jaydee67
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by jaydee67 » 08 Apr 2010, 23:05

done

LauraMH

Post by LauraMH » 14 Apr 2010, 02:23

And think about what will happen to the cockerals?
They can be very hard to find homes for, specially crossbreds.

Can you bare to cull chicks? Food for thought.
If you can't cull unwanted autosexing chicks. Can you cull adult Cockerals?

It's one I see every year. 'Must go as pet' 'Not for the pot' but fact is, that is where most will end up. It is a reality.

mojo
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Post by mojo » 14 Apr 2010, 09:30

reemember if you feel you cant kill ill or unwanted birds..........buy ready sexed stock with a garante from the vender they will take back unwanted coqs...........and take ill birds to the vet straight away
Give a smile away every day to a stranger............and a hug to a friend

SkyChild
Chick
Chick

Post by SkyChild » 01 Jul 2010, 17:51

I once worked at a falconry centre, where they fed the birds of prey day old cockerels (dead of course). If there are people nearby with birds of prey, perhaps it is worth asking if they'll take your unwanted coqs. Just a suggestion.

Allister
Chick
Chick

Post by Allister » 16 Jan 2011, 17:33

Hi
I would like to try and raise a few chicks. I have been offered the loan of a basic incubator. What would be the best time to start this? The spring really starts here in April
Looking forward to going to the Scottish National next Sunday.
Allister

jojosarah

Post by jojosarah » 16 Jan 2011, 17:49

I tend to work backwards in time for how long they are going to be in the incubator = 3 weeks, brooder/under heat + 3/5 weeks (until the fluff turns into a full coat of feathers). So we are in the middle of Jan now, that would take us up til the middle of march. If you have somewhere warm to keep them after that, mine go into a rabbit hutch in the spare room, they should be ok until it's warm enough for them to go outside. It all depends on your set up and the space you have available. Keeping chicks warm enough is obviously going to cost more money now than it will in the summer, it depends on how much hatching you want to do and remember how old the last hatchlings will be going into the next winter.

smileysal

Post by smileysal » 16 Jan 2011, 17:54

SkyChild wrote:I once worked at a falconry centre, where they fed the birds of prey day old cockerels (dead of course). If there are people nearby with birds of prey, perhaps it is worth asking if they'll take your unwanted coqs. Just a suggestion.

Orrrrrrrrrrrrrr.................... get your own bird of prey like we did!!! ;) :lol:

Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by Henwife » 16 Jan 2011, 18:24

The easiest way for newby hatchers is a broody hen. I am a firm believer in starting there and once you know what should happen, only then use an incubator & follow Mojo's instructions until you have sufficient experience to add your own variations!
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.

petejw76

Post by petejw76 » 16 Jan 2011, 18:32

Last edited by petejw76 on 16 Jan 2011, 19:55, edited 1 time in total.

petejw76

Post by petejw76 » 16 Jan 2011, 18:34

this is off another forum and a method used by a number of breeders who hatch alot of birds, i am going to try it this year as have had problems with poor hatch rates but not poor fertility.

andoy

Post by andoy » 16 Jan 2011, 18:44

petejw76 wrote:this is off another forum and a method used by a number of breeders who hatch alot of birds, i am going to try it this year as have had problems with poor hatch rates but not poor fertility.

Just checking that you've asked permission to replicate that text? Useful as it is, someone may get upset if you've cut and copied text without their permission. Just a though, many people don't think about these days (copyright). :-k

Greggorio

Post by Greggorio » 16 Jan 2011, 18:52

so long as you say where it came from and who wrote it then you can copy it unless it states otherwise

andoy

Post by andoy » 16 Jan 2011, 18:58

Greggorio wrote:so long as you say where it came from and who wrote it then you can copy it unless it states otherwise

LOL... that's not how it works. That is a common misconception! http://webdesign.about.com/od/copyright/a/aa081700a.htm