egg production and melting snow!

Moderator: Moderators

Chris Kurzfeld
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

egg production and melting snow!

Post by Chris Kurzfeld » 13 Feb 2009, 10:49

My girls have kept us, and friends and neighbours, in eggs all winter - out of 40 laying chooks we have been getting between 12 - 20 eggs a day. Now i know they will have a rest now and then but I assumed that all 40 were laying but at different times! Well, now I'm not so sure - since the snow, and their refusal to leave the coops - egg production has gone right off - 3 - 6 a day!!!!!!!!! (snow has almost all gone and they have ventured out again). Was speaking to a friend who has kept chooks most of his life and he said that it is the snow melting that is causing them not to lay not the actual snow itself :? , never heard of this before - is this just old wives tale or not?
Chris

love me, love my 4 dogs, 3 cats, over 100 chickens (but don't tell OH) and 7 sheep - oops, almost forgot the 2 tanks of fish!

I live in my own little world but it's ok - they know me here!

Duckie

Re: egg production and melting snow!

Post by Duckie » 13 Feb 2009, 12:37

wouldn't it be because they didn;t go out much so there was 'less' daylight and they've slowed down? Theres a lot of melting snow (and falling water) here and the girls haven't gone on strike as yet....

Tia Maria
Pullet
Pullet

Post by Tia Maria » 13 Feb 2009, 13:39

Mine have slowed right down this week - I had more eggs during all the snow and the cold snap. Since my garden has been 'swept' clean of all the bright crisp snow to reveal a muddy gooey mess- less eggs!!
A mixed LF flock of 2 Lavender Araucanas, 3 Barnevelders (1 double laced and 2 blue), 1 Blackrock, 3 Cuckoo Marans, 1, 1 White Star, 2 Silver Campine, 1 Blue Marans, 1 Black Copper Marans & 1 Marans x Araucana (lays green eggs).

And 4 dogs, 4 ferrets and 1 Harris Hawk

stuartc
Chick
Chick

Post by stuartc » 13 Feb 2009, 14:43

Could it be that last week they were clearing the eggs 'in the system'. This week we're seeing the effects of them staying in more last week and slowing down? :-k
A mix of brahma, sussex, maran, orpington, sasso and cross-breeds thereof.

Coaster

Post by Coaster » 14 Feb 2009, 07:08

Snow or No Snow my girls wont stay in the hut and each lays me an egg every morning :-)