eggs not being laid in nestboxes!

Moderator: Moderators

birdmanofpentrecwrt

eggs not being laid in nestboxes!

Post by birdmanofpentrecwrt » 10 Feb 2009, 12:50

Hi there everyone (I'm a newbie). I've got some laying birds, about a third of which aren't laying in the nest boxes but are laying where they perch at night. Luckily I have dropping boards so I don't get many cracked eggs but I do get a lot of dirty ones. What can I do to change their behaviour? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Diane
Hen
Hen

Re: eggs not being laid in nestboxes!

Post by Diane » 10 Feb 2009, 19:19

Are they new birds which have just started to lay? Maybe they just haven't got the hang of things yet. Another thought is - is the nestbox dark enough for them to lay in during the day? They like a really dark private nestbox.
Also, put a couple of pot eggs - or golf balls, in the nestbox to give them a hint :?
Check the nestbox and henhouse for red mite too.

birdmanofpentrecwrt

Post by birdmanofpentrecwrt » 10 Feb 2009, 21:26

they've been laying about 2 months now so they're not really beginners and i'm a bit worried i'll never cure them of the habit!

vanessa

Post by vanessa » 11 Feb 2009, 21:53

Is there any way of removing the perches during the daytime for a few days? Might help, making them HAVE to find somewhere else to lay?

birdmanofpentrecwrt

Post by birdmanofpentrecwrt » 13 Feb 2009, 21:15

thanks for both of your comments guys, i appreciate your help :-)
i do remove the perches during the day but i find that they tend to have already laid the eggs by about 7.30am. i think the nest boxes are pretty dark as most of the hens lay in there, there's just these few that don't.
i've been watching them in the morning since my first post and i actually think the problem is the hens that are on the rear perches: they can't get past the hens on the front perches to get to the nest boxes. so i'm trying to encourage them to get down from the perches earlier by turning on a light at about 6 and i'm testing out a bit of mesh between the perch and the droppings board - the eggs don't drop through the mesh but the poo does! hopefully that'll work.

crazypianolady
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by crazypianolady » 13 Feb 2009, 23:15

Is there space for another nesting box near the rear perches? A cardboard box would do.

:-)

selina

Post by selina » 16 Feb 2009, 22:13

My little lovelys lay all over the garden, found 11 under a bush the other day, they do lay in the nest boxes too.
The joy of free range!