How many eggs are you averaging?

Moderator: Moderators

Tia Maria
Pullet
Pullet

How many eggs are you averaging?

Post by Tia Maria » 02 Feb 2009, 16:16

I ve noticed that there are fewer wails of "when are they gonna start laying" and I was wondering how may eggs you were getting at the mo - on average?

Is it mostly from youngsters or have the 'oldies' come into lay yet?

Out of 7 hens I am getting 4 eggs most days, sometimes 5 :grin: sometimes only 2 :(

The only one not to have laid at all is the andalucian who is older than all the rest

I wonder if one day i will get an egg for every hen?
A mixed LF flock of 2 Lavender Araucanas, 3 Barnevelders (1 double laced and 2 blue), 1 Blackrock, 3 Cuckoo Marans, 1, 1 White Star, 2 Silver Campine, 1 Blue Marans, 1 Black Copper Marans & 1 Marans x Araucana (lays green eggs).

And 4 dogs, 4 ferrets and 1 Harris Hawk

witsinfr

Re: How many eggs are you averaging?

Post by witsinfr » 02 Feb 2009, 16:23

Here are my records... (today's record not finished yet, they still have time to lay more, and will do so)
Difficult to say who's doing what, we have 23 outside at the moment, they're all different ages (and gender). But our original 6 layers are all still here and I think still producing fairly well.

Numbers seem to be increasing now that it's starting to get more daylight hours.

Coaster

Post by Coaster » 02 Feb 2009, 18:22

Got 4 Warrens and 1 Silver Sussex all are laying every day even through the warrens are moulting

Lisleoise

Post by Lisleoise » 02 Feb 2009, 19:35

2 or three eggs a day from 3 layers.

Tarka

Post by Tarka » 02 Feb 2009, 23:00

6 to 7 eggs per day from 9 hens , although 2 are over 5 years old .

Gilly C
Hen
Hen

Post by Gilly C » 02 Feb 2009, 23:50

my silkies have gone right off again only getting 2-3 a day from 13 but 3 are broody !

Elly

Post by Elly » 03 Feb 2009, 09:20

4 hybrids, about 18months old, lay every day and the 2 bantam araucanas(6 months old) are laying most days as well :grin:
Keep smilin
Elly

Phill

Post by Phill » 03 Feb 2009, 09:28

I find in the past my Polish lay one each every other day so I get one egg a day from one and another from the other the next day.

No more eggs yet from the brahma's ^_^

Chris Kurzfeld
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by Chris Kurzfeld » 03 Feb 2009, 11:13

Approx 50 chooks including 2 cockerels, 1 broody mum with 2 chicks, 7 bantams and 3 youngsters too young to lay - plus 4 (3 female and 1 male) quails. Quails stopped laying last November and haven't started again yet. Brahmas have just started to lay again but quite a few of the LF have laid all winter! Was getting 12 - 16 eggs a day (with the odd day when I got only 9) but now getting 15 - 25 a day.
Chris

love me, love my 4 dogs, 3 cats, over 100 chickens (but don't tell OH) and 7 sheep - oops, almost forgot the 2 tanks of fish!

I live in my own little world but it's ok - they know me here!

Tia Maria
Pullet
Pullet

Post by Tia Maria » 03 Feb 2009, 11:21

It's interesting the differnces, i'm going to start keeping proper records (hopefully)
A mixed LF flock of 2 Lavender Araucanas, 3 Barnevelders (1 double laced and 2 blue), 1 Blackrock, 3 Cuckoo Marans, 1, 1 White Star, 2 Silver Campine, 1 Blue Marans, 1 Black Copper Marans & 1 Marans x Araucana (lays green eggs).

And 4 dogs, 4 ferrets and 1 Harris Hawk

CP

Post by CP » 03 Feb 2009, 11:43

We don't keep proper records either.
We're getting between 5-8 per day from about 32 possibly laying (not sure who is or isn't! :grin: )
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero

vanessa

Post by vanessa » 03 Feb 2009, 17:56

Phew, glad you posted before me, CP, was getting paranoid about my birds!! I'm getting about 2 a day from about 15 layers. Not enough!!! :evil: *mutters under breath "chicken soup, chicken curry, roast chicken ..."*

Chuckie Chick

Post by Chuckie Chick » 04 Feb 2009, 14:52

12 to 14 each day out of 16 birds. Well chuffed!!

Auntie Noo

Post by Auntie Noo » 04 Feb 2009, 18:19

5 hens and only 1 laying at the moment, with the occasional show from the silkie. They normally all start mid to late Feb though then I'll be drowning in them!

chook-in-eire

Post by chook-in-eire » 05 Feb 2009, 11:08

I have 34 hens of which 14 are now laying and I get about 7 eggs a day.
4 of last years pullets have not started yet and 9 girls are in their 4th, 5th or 6th laying year so I don't expect all that much from them either. But I know that in a month time I'll be inundated :mrgreen:

chook