Deformed Eggs

Moderator: Moderators

Deformed Eggs

Postby Isabelle » 30 Apr 2011, 11:14

One of my hybrids has been laying deformed eggs, see below (hopefully!) I don't know whether this is something I should be worried about and if she may have some problem internally that could be causing this? All of her recent eggs have been like this and they seem to be getting worse. The actual shell is hard and the egg inside is unaffected. Any thoughts?

Isabelle

Liked in: 1 post

Re: Deformed Eggs

Postby CP » 30 Apr 2011, 11:26

Wow! That's one of the worst cases I've seen! Don't be too shocked though as deformed eggs can happen for various reasons.

Read all about egg problems on this site, which is very informative. ;)

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/ourbooks/ ... -handbook/
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero
CP

Liked in: 167 posts

Postby Isabelle » 30 Apr 2011, 14:50

The site recommended above suggests that it is a misshapen egg, and it states possible causes as immaturity, a defective shell gland, a disease, stress or overcrowding. The only two possible causes my hen could have is the defective shell gland or a disease. Does anyone know of how I would tell if my roughly 3 year hybrid has an infection or bronchitis? Thank you
Isabelle

Postby Lindsay » 30 Apr 2011, 19:37

I have no knowledge at all on the subject, but looking a those eggs I wondered if it is possible that she has a growth in her oviduct, or something pressing inwards to cause a narrowing of the tube? The malformation seems to be in a ring around the widest part of the egg, and if it was held up on its way along, the shell would continue to build up until it was forced through. Only a guess though.
Lindsay
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 85 posts

Postby tweedy » 30 Apr 2011, 20:14

Normally caused by the bird being disturbed or stress.
tweedy
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby Henwife » 01 May 2011, 08:44

Personally I wouldn't worry about it on the principle that the hen's not bothered either. The only reason you never get these oddments in a supermarket box is that they are broken open to be sold to the catering trade.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.
Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 302 posts

Postby Isabelle » 01 May 2011, 09:25

I don't think that she can be stressed, she is free range and very much near the top of the pecking order, and these eggs have continued for a while. Does anyone know how I would check for a growth or similar as suggested by Lindsay? Could this be health treatening? I am not concerned by the eggs as they are perfectly normal inside, but more for the wellbeing of the hen.
Isabelle

Postby Degraff » 17 Sep 2017, 07:33

Isabelle wrote:I don't think that she can be stressed, she is free range and very much near the top of the pecking order, and these eggs have continued for a while. Does anyone know how I would check for a growth or similar as suggested by Lindsay? Could this be health treatening? I am not concerned by the eggs as they are perfectly normal inside, but more for the wellbeing of the hen.

Hi Isabelle, I'm getting eggs like this too. Can you remember how it ended up going? Did yours start laying normal eggs again?
Degraff

Liked in: 0 post

Return to Eggs and Growers