Say hi to any newcomers, or say hi to everyone and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

Postby lou ez er » 16 Sep 2015, 14:57

Hi peeps.
My name is Jayne.
We got our very first chickens last Sunday. :grin: wonder if anyone on here could give me a few pointers on a couple of subjects please.
I have been clearing the larger Poop out of the coop daily, and just sprinkling a little more wood shavings here and there to keep it topped up. The girls mess on the perch mainly and since day two the nest boxes have been clean so I have just let that be.Please can someone advise me what cleaner I should use? as I plan to give it a good clean weekly.
There are so many products out there I am getting confused :roll: The second question is will my girls eventually take themselves off to bed, I have been popping them in through the pop hole just before the light fades. This is only because I want to clear the run of food /poop and stuff. Thanks.
lou ez er

Liked in: 0 post

Re: Newbie

Postby drfish » 16 Sep 2015, 17:03

Hi and welcome,

Just a basic sanitiser will do the job, Dettol, Diluted bleach, anything with lavender in (deters creepy crawlies).

The trick is to keep alternating your cleaning solutions so bacteria doesn't become resistant to it.

In my opinion, don't go too OTT with cleaning. They are livestock, and really don't care that much if there's a bit of poop in there. I'm a firm believer in dirt building immunity. Obviously, it's a fine balance between OCD cleaning, and wallowing in filth.

Ignore all the fancy off the shelf tonics, potions and such. They're mostly rubbish, and will serve no purpose other than to lighten your bank balance. Stick to the basics. And that especially goes for alleged 'Red Mite' killers. Use Diatom and Ant Powder as a preventative, and if you do get Red Mite (which you inevitably will at some point), don't waste money and time on over the counter remedies, just buy some Ficam-W off e-bay or elsewhere on the web.

And finally, leave them be at night time. If they haven't gone in by the time it's dark, man handle them, but they will figure out to do it themselves. In winter you're hard pushed to get the lazy gits to come out :mrgreen:
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

2 people like this post.
drfish

Liked in: 704 posts
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Postby ladyplumber » 18 Sep 2015, 12:23

Hi Jayne and welcome to the forum. :wave:

Echo the above comments .... sound advice
1 BlackRock 2 Speckledys 1 Black Brahma 3 Light Sussex 1 Auracana 1 (noisy) Silver Laced Wyandotte 4 Marans x Cream Legbar
4 Barnvelder x Cream Legbar 1 Blue Splash Orpington 2 Chocolate Orpington 5 Gold Laced Orpington
ladyplumber

Liked in: 212 posts

Postby CP » 19 Sep 2015, 01:43

Welcome to the forum. :)
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero
CP

Liked in: 166 posts

Return to Introductions and Welcomes