hi to everyone

Say hi to any newcomers, or say hi to everyone and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

hi to everyone

Postby oowee1 » 06 Jan 2015, 21:19

Hi All
At last the chicken house comes. Well i have to collect it in the morning from Milton Keynes and then back down to the Mendips (just south of Bristol).
Anyone got any suggestion of local suppliers of chickens and all the bits and pieces i need?
Regards
Grant

MamaOwl likes this post.
oowee1
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 5 posts

Re: hi to everyone

Postby ladyplumber » 06 Jan 2015, 22:45

Hi oowee 1 and welcome to our forum :wave:

Sorry, but I can't suggest any chicken breeders local to you, but I'm sure someone else will be along soon to suggest somewhere.

As for bits and pieces, I've found that feeders and drinkers etc are cheaper online than in stores (Ebay or Farmandpetplace), and for example bales of dust extracted shavings for the coop, are far and away cheaper from an equestrian supplier than from pet shops (eg Pets at home) :thumbright:
1 BlackRock 2 Speckledys 1 Black Brahma 3 Light Sussex 1 Auracana 1 (noisy) Silver Laced Wyandotte 4 Marans x Cream Legbar
4 Barnvelder x Cream Legbar 1 Blue Splash Orpington 2 Chocolate Orpington 5 Gold Laced Orpington

MamaOwl likes this post.
ladyplumber

Liked in: 212 posts

Postby CP » 07 Jan 2015, 02:41

Welcome to the forum oowee 1. :)
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero
CP

Liked in: 166 posts

Postby Moriarty » 07 Jan 2015, 07:20

hey there oowee, great name! Can't offer any recommendations of suppliers but enjoy your chickens, you will find keeping them very addictive!
my chooks: Sage&Onion, Roger the randy cockerel, Squawkbox, Bonnie 'N' Clyde, Pancakes, Custard, Omelette & EggNog. Plus four garden cats and another half dozen feral ones that I feed. And a nursery of pipistrelle bats in the verandah roof ..
Moriarty

Liked in: 212 posts

Postby organic chick » 07 Jan 2015, 10:45

Welcome !! :cheers:

A friend of mine suggests trying here although he thinks they may only open for a few hours per day in the winter so suggests you check first.

http://www.charlottespoultry.com

As far as equipment is concerned we went for the rat proof treadle feeders. Expensive yes, but there is never any feed wasted. There is also a wealth of information on these pages if you have a delve around. It certainly helped me when we set up 18 months ago, and never be afraid to ask!! Someone always jumps in with suggestions. Also make sure you get advice re number of hens for your coop. Manufacturers are always too optimistic!!

Look forward to watching your space as it were.
Penny and Freckles - the WArren Girls'
Star and Flopsy (the latter of the floppy comb) both members of the White Star Faction.
Fedora and Florence the Cream Legbars
Emily (see Emily lay) and Erica the Light Sussex babes
1 current husband aka the structural engineer
1 large organic allotment
The Lady Isabella Pickford-Fiennes, a feline of distinction and excellent mouser
organic chick
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 124 posts

Postby somchuck » 12 Jan 2015, 13:55

This is one I have thought of visiting, don't know what they are like.
http://bristolpoultry.co.uk - for hens in Tickenham

I get feed from Mole Valley or Tinknell Fuels both have several branches

(If you find a good supply of chickens let us know I want araucanas)
somchuck
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 0 post

Postby subruss » 18 Jan 2015, 22:49

welcome aboard :thumbright: start asking those questions :grin:
subruss

Liked in: 354 posts

Return to Introductions and Welcomes