Weak chicken with breathing problems and now our cockeral

Forum specifically for discussion and information relating to avian flu and other diseases affecting all farm livestock.

Moderator: Moderators

Weak chicken with breathing problems and now our cockeral

Postby jasonmiddleton » 05 Aug 2014, 22:00

We went away this weekend and came back to a 13 week old Pekin Bantum with breathing problems and weight loss. That was Sunday evening and she died on Monday. Today our two year old Peking Cockeral is not happy. He's looking a little thin, although he weighs 1kg. He has spent most of today in the house.

We've given him some oregano and garlic this evening, but wondered what else we could do to help him.

We don't know what it is, but we're worried we will loose him and the rest of our flock.

Any help and advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
jasonmiddleton
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 1 post

Re: Weak chicken with breathing problems and now our cockera

Postby ladyplumber » 05 Aug 2014, 22:17

There are a number of ailments this could be but first of all, have you checked the coop for redmite ?

It seems 2014 is a particularly good year for them, and anaemia caused by these blood sucking monsters can show as a respiratory problem due to lack of oxygen circulating
1 BlackRock 2 Speckledys 1 Black Brahma 3 Light Sussex 1 Auracana 1 (noisy) Silver Laced Wyandotte 4 Marans x Cream Legbar
4 Barnvelder x Cream Legbar 1 Blue Splash Orpington 2 Chocolate Orpington 5 Gold Laced Orpington
ladyplumber

Liked in: 212 posts

Postby jasonmiddleton » 05 Aug 2014, 22:27

We do have redmite and I clean out the coop on Monday to kill as many as possible. The chicken that died is in a different coop from the cockeral and in a different area. She had only been there for one week.
jasonmiddleton
Chick
Chick

Postby jasonmiddleton » 05 Aug 2014, 22:59

I've just checked the main coop and it's crawling with red mite. I had a real go at them yesterday and I thought I'd killed most of them, obviously not!

The coop that the chicken died in yesterday looks ok, so I'm a little puzzled.
jasonmiddleton
Chick
Chick

Postby ladyplumber » 06 Aug 2014, 00:04

If there are no chickens kept in the first coop now, they'll be hiding in the cracks and crevices waiting to pounce. If you can afford it, get hold of some Ficam W. Otherwise, liberally shake ant powder (containing Permethrin) everywhere - even on the floor under the coops.

Good luck
1 BlackRock 2 Speckledys 1 Black Brahma 3 Light Sussex 1 Auracana 1 (noisy) Silver Laced Wyandotte 4 Marans x Cream Legbar
4 Barnvelder x Cream Legbar 1 Blue Splash Orpington 2 Chocolate Orpington 5 Gold Laced Orpington
ladyplumber

Liked in: 212 posts

Postby jasonmiddleton » 06 Aug 2014, 23:23

I've changed the coop floor shavings for sand and dusted lice powder around the edges. The chickens are all tucked up asleep on the floor with no mites able to get near them. Those that do also have mite powder on the chickens to contend with. Meal worms, rice and spinich during the day has also helped them get some energy. Fingers crossed it works ok.
jasonmiddleton
Chick
Chick

Return to Avian Flu & Farm Livestock Diseases