Bird Flu !

Forum specifically for discussion and information relating to avian flu and other diseases affecting all farm livestock.

Moderator: Moderators

Bird Flu !

Postby laffinfowl » 31 Mar 2012, 13:07

An instance of Bird Flu is being dealt with by the Department of Agriculture in the South of Ireland,so far they know it is the less virulent H5 strain rather than the H5N1 version.
It was discovered in a small number of pheasants belonging to a local gun club,hopefully it,s been contained and will not move any further,fingers crossed. 8-[
laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 197 posts

Re: Bird Flu !

Postby Lindsay » 31 Mar 2012, 14:15

Are you close to the outbreak, Laffin?
Lindsay
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 85 posts

Postby laffinfowl » 31 Mar 2012, 16:56

Probably be about 50 miles as the crow flies,i think they caught it fairly quick and they have a one mile exclusion zone around the location so hopefully it,s been contained but you never know.
laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Postby chuck1 » 31 Mar 2012, 22:31

Lets hope fast action has contained it. Difficult though as there's not much more mobile than birds.
chuck1

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Lindsay » 01 Apr 2012, 08:45

Fingers crossed.
Lindsay
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 85 posts

Postby CP » 02 Apr 2012, 12:40

Hopefully this is just speculation & won't happen. [-o<

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/olympics-raise ... 06658.html
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero
CP

Liked in: 166 posts

Postby laffinfowl » 02 Apr 2012, 16:00

Hopefully not CP.Maybe just another chance for the vac producers to sell millions more shots.
Update on the Irish situation is it has been confirmed that the pheasants were imported from the UK but contracted the infection here,it is the less virulent strain and tests on a broiler flock in close proximity have proved negative so hopefully it has been contained,further tests are being carried out on birds from the same consignment in another location so hopefully they will come to the same conclusion.I suppose if they were as i assume penned then their contact with wild birds will have been minimal which is a plus,so we wait and hope :-k
laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Postby flory-lorry-lawrence » 16 May 2012, 14:46

Hi,I am new to the whole chicken keeping thing and bird flu is a HUGE fear of mine.......i know on the news last year they said that farmers should innoculate their chickens against the bird flu,i was just wondering if that is something that anyone has had done or is it aimed at large grouped chickens etc and not household pets? Our chicken is free range and running around the garden and didnt know if this is something i need to read into more.Thanks for any advice :)
flory-lorry-lawrence

Postby laffinfowl » 17 May 2012, 21:19

Yes Shell you are right in thinking vaccinations would be more to do with big commercial poultry producers,as far as i know part of their regulation includes vaccination of their birds.The cost would be prohibitive for small breeders and back yard keepers and there is no guarantee that the birds won,t get what they are vaccinated against and some diseases they are vaccinated against will actually make them carriers of that disease for life,Mareks being the main one.
Even though bird flu is a concern to everyone that keeps poultry i would,nt let it spoil your enjoyment of your birds,if there ever is a major outbreak then the Dept of Ag will publish guidelines for all poultry keepers of how to minimise the risk of your birds contracting it.
laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Postby flory-lorry-lawrence » 18 May 2012, 14:36

laffinfowl wrote:Yes Shell you are right in thinking vaccinations would be more to do with big commercial poultry producers,as far as i know part of their regulation includes vaccination of their birds.The cost would be prohibitive for small breeders and back yard keepers and there is no guarantee that the birds won,t get what they are vaccinated against and some diseases they are vaccinated against will actually make them carriers of that disease for life,Mareks being the main one.
Even though bird flu is a concern to everyone that keeps poultry i would,nt let it spoil your enjoyment of your birds,if there ever is a major outbreak then the Dept of Ag will publish guidelines for all poultry keepers of how to minimise the risk of your birds contracting it.

Thankyou very much for the information :) So there are no general vaccines etc that chickens are meants to have? I have been told about the need to be wormed and read a little on red mites,is there anything i should look out for?
flory-lorry-lawrence

Return to Avian Flu & Farm Livestock Diseases