Bird flu death!

Forum specifically for discussion and information relating to avian flu and other diseases affecting all farm livestock.

Moderator: Moderators

Bird flu death!

Postby laffinfowl » 31 Dec 2011, 12:15

I see on Sky news a report of the death of a man from Bird Flu in Guandong,China. 8-[
laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 197 posts

Re: Bird flu death!

Postby crazypianolady » 31 Dec 2011, 12:52

Yes, there's a report on the BBC site, too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-16372348
crazypianolady
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 142 posts

Postby darkbrowneggs » 31 Dec 2011, 13:00

OK ....this is only "googled" information but......

There have been a total of 429 cases world wide and of those there have been 262 confirmed deaths.
Source(s):
http://www.who.int/csr/disease/avian_inf

Plus
Latest official current world population estimate, for mid-year 2010, is estimated at 6,852,472,823.

I can only assume that once again the vaccine companies have a large stockpile of flu virus jabs which are now nearing their use by date :naughty
To follow my travel journal see www.thebusphoebeandme.us For lots of info on keeping and breeding Marans see www.darkbrowneggs.info
darkbrowneggs
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 32 posts

Postby andoy » 31 Dec 2011, 13:10

bird flu cases are almost yearly occurrence in east Asia though. There have been a lot of health scares there of late!
andoy

Liked in: 1 post

Postby darkbrowneggs » 31 Dec 2011, 16:12

Yes - I remember the first time all that happened and some young Chinese children died, which of course is incredibly sad.

But it turned out that the father thought the poultry were ill and decided to butcher them for household use before they actually died, which he did by cutting off their heads. The children then used the severed heads as finger puppets. :shock: in the muddy yard where ducks were also kept.

As I say that is still very, very sad, but when less that 500 people out of 6 billion have died world wide in the last 10 years or so, I often wish the media would give us the full facts and try to keep things in perspective - still I suppose then it wouldn't be "news" ;)
To follow my travel journal see www.thebusphoebeandme.us For lots of info on keeping and breeding Marans see www.darkbrowneggs.info
darkbrowneggs
Chick
Chick

Postby andoy » 31 Dec 2011, 16:45

yes, I remember the swine flu scare and run on tamiflu. I knew a few people who were in Mexico at the time.

At the end of the day, just take usual precautions of isolating and treating/culling. I do wish some people with flu would wear surgical masks like they do in places like Japan. The London tube is a good way of getting every bug going! :sad3:

I didn't read about the finger puppet thing. That is a bit shocking!
andoy

Postby stephen » 31 Dec 2011, 17:57

The face masks are only effective if you change them every hour or so. I wouldn't be surprised to see there were more measles, whooping cough or ordinary flu deaths each year than have been from bird flu ever since this all started.
Stephen
stephen
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 96 posts

Postby darkbrowneggs » 31 Dec 2011, 18:07

Yup - another quick google give me this

According to the Chief Medical Officer's publication 'Explaining Pandemic Flu'

"Ordinary flu occurs every year during the winter months in the UK. It affects 10-15% of the UK population, causing around 12,000 deaths every year."

Mind you Andoy I wouldn't fancy visiting you with a bit of a sneeze

yes, I remember the swine flu scare and run on tamiflu. I knew a few people who were in Mexico at the time.

At the end of the day, just take usual precautions of isolating and treating/culling.
:lol:
darkbrowneggs
Chick
Chick

Postby mollteezers » 31 Dec 2011, 19:38

I think you have to be living in very close contact with the birda, like they often do in Asia, to increase your chance of contracting avian flu. Mind you....I don't fancy it much myself, having had swine flu last year...:(
mollteezers

Postby CP » 22 Jan 2012, 12:13

Another report today.
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/second-bird-fl ... 12692.html

and swine flu raises it's head too...
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/two-die-h1n1-s ... 23524.html

Because of the scaremongering that went on before, I guess any flu deaths around the world will always be reported just so they can use the word *pandemic*! :shock:
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero
CP

Liked in: 171 posts

Postby darkbrowneggs » 22 Jan 2012, 13:24

Yup - got to get those stockpiles of vaccine used up before the "best before date" :grin:
darkbrowneggs
Chick
Chick

Postby josephrettig2012 » 23 Jan 2012, 16:07

Yah its really dangerous disease in winter.Actually every year happen this in this time.We should be very care full about it and will use different anti fungal and virus medicine and if we see any flue disease then we must keep the separately.Ofcourse we will keep the chicken coop neat and clean.I have a website you can visit and learn about it more also about chicken coop.
http://onechickencoop.com/
josephrettig2012

Attention Moderators !

Postby ladyplumber » 23 Jan 2012, 22:37

Pardon me for maybe barging in but has the above poster just posted to promote a website which MAY sell coops, or is it a genuine post and I'm being too suspicious ? I don't trust the link to be safe ........ ?
1 BlackRock 2 Speckledys 1 Black Brahma 3 Light Sussex 1 Auracana 1 (noisy) Silver Laced Wyandotte 4 Marans x Cream Legbar
4 Barnvelder x Cream Legbar 1 Blue Splash Orpington 2 Chocolate Orpington 5 Gold Laced Orpington
ladyplumber

Liked in: 212 posts

Postby laffinfowl » 23 Jan 2012, 23:10

:scratch:
laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 197 posts

Postby Chris Kurzfeld » 24 Jan 2012, 09:52

mollteezers wrote:I think you have to be living in very close contact with the birda, like they often do in Asia, to increase your chance of contracting avian flu. Mind you....I don't fancy it much myself, having had swine flu last year...:(

Me too - wasn't nice was it? And I had the jab!!!!!!
Chris

love me, love my 4 dogs, 3 cats, over 100 chickens (but don't tell OH) and 7 sheep - oops, almost forgot the 2 tanks of fish!

I live in my own little world but it's ok - they know me here!
Chris Kurzfeld
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 28 posts

Return to Avian Flu & Farm Livestock Diseases