Avian Pox & Trichmonosis....

Forum specifically for discussion and information relating to avian flu and other diseases affecting all farm livestock.

Moderator: Moderators

Avian Pox & Trichmonosis....

Postby celestina » 19 Aug 2011, 10:29

I have had at least 12 young green finches die in the last couple of weeks. It's very sad as they were almost to maturity. I have also been seeing tits with growths on their bodies.

Avian malaria... I do appologise... yes evidence of this is now in the UK... :(

I am incubator ready and will obviously cover everything when they are ready to go out...I am guessing chickens would be suseptable to it too?

Update: I rang the RSPB this morning. The tits with the growth is Avian Pox. The Greenfinches – Trichmonosis (a parasitic infection that mainly focuses on Greenfinches). These conditions will also spread to chickens. Advice: stop feeding the wild birds for a week or so, so they disperse. When feeding again regularly disinfect all bird feeders and change drinking water daily.

Hope this helps just in case anyone else has noticed the problem in their garden :(

I am really sorry, I didn't check your posts and changed the post after having rung the RSPB.
Last edited by celestina on 19 Aug 2011, 11:15, edited 3 times in total.
celestina

Liked in: 1 post

Re: Avian Malaria?

Postby Flamingosauce » 19 Aug 2011, 10:40

At the risk of sounding entirely stupid, I thought that was a tropical illness? I would imagine it can affect all birds that have not built up a resistance to it.
Flamingosauce

Postby tweedy » 19 Aug 2011, 10:45

It seems green finches are especially susceptible to it but info for poultry is limited although they can get it but its not always a killer apparently. Sorry cant help you much. Be interesting to know though.
tweedy
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby andoy » 19 Aug 2011, 10:49

I'm more familiar with human malaria than the avian version, so had to look it up...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avian_malaria

It seems to be on the rise according to this news article... http://www.medindia.net/news/Tropical-D ... 9288-1.htm
andoy

Postby andoy » 19 Aug 2011, 10:58

Only thing I would suggest for cage birds is mosquito netting around their cages. Would stop transmission from birds that already have it to others that haven't been infected. Infected birds can share same cage/aviary, but as long as mosquitoes are kept away, then hopefully you can control it from spreading. May not be possible to control in chickens, but I suspect chickens may be a lot more resilient to it.
andoy

Re: Avian Pox & Trichmonosis....

Postby andoy » 19 Aug 2011, 11:16

have to taken the dead birds to a vet to check that this is the case? Might be worth it, in case it is something else lurking in your flock.
andoy

Postby Flamingosauce » 19 Aug 2011, 11:17

Thanks for the update, hope things improve quickly. :)
Flamingosauce

Postby tweedy » 19 Aug 2011, 11:21

Oh avian pox thats different.
tweedy
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Postby CP » 19 Aug 2011, 11:24

Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero
CP

Liked in: 166 posts

Postby laffinfowl » 19 Aug 2011, 16:54

Right i,m totally confused here(or maybe just thick) but where did or does Avian Malaria come in here,the original post was to do with Avian pox and Trichmonosis,can,t understand how it changed to Avian Malaria. :?
laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 197 posts

Postby tweedy » 19 Aug 2011, 17:30

The original post title was avian malaria, here lies the confusion :lol:
tweedy
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Postby Henwife » 19 Aug 2011, 19:45

I had a Nudie with Fowl pox either last year or the year before, and very decorative she looked too, as I sprayed her purple at regular intervals until it cleared up. None of the rest were affected.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.
Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 302 posts

Postby laffinfowl » 19 Aug 2011, 21:51

No,you,ve lost me,the first one is POX the next four are Malaria and then switches back to Pox,probably best to ignore the title,have,nt had that much Vino yet,anyway hope i don,t catch either. :lol:
laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Postby andoy » 20 Aug 2011, 08:45

laffinfowl wrote:No,you,ve lost me,the first one is POX the next four are Malaria and then switches back to Pox,probably best to ignore the title,have,nt had that much Vino yet,anyway hope i don,t catch either. :lol:

The OP thought her finches died from Avian Malaria initially. Then edited her post after a number of us commented about Malaria to say she now thinks it's Avian Pox. :lol:

I tend to edit my posts purely for spelling and grammatical errors. Editing a post completely can confuse people and you loose all context. People can reply using the quote feature (as I have just now), but then that gets a bit tiresome after a while.
andoy

Postby laffinfowl » 20 Aug 2011, 09:58

Ah right,cheers Andy,got you now.
I think............... :^o
laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Next

Return to Avian Flu & Farm Livestock Diseases