Infection transfer?

Forum specifically for discussion and information relating to avian flu and other diseases affecting all farm livestock.

Moderator: Moderators

Infection transfer?

Postby laffinfowl » 27 May 2011, 15:11

Is there any chance of chickens getting any sort of infection from being put in a shed which had previously housed sheep,shed in question probably would not have been cleaned very well or disinfected either? :-k
laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 197 posts

Re: Infection transfer?

Postby Captain Carrot » 27 May 2011, 21:12

I dunno, would you want to risk it though? I wouldn't put my chcikens in a shed that wasn't cleaned out first.
Altsteirer, Bielefelders, Welsummer bantams, Silkies and Muscovy ducks (sold a load of them :) )
Captain Carrot
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 0 post

Postby laffinfowl » 27 May 2011, 22:18

Probably did,nt explain that very well,someone i know used the shed in question and unfortunately lost a couple of birds a very short time later.I was just wondering was it a coincidence or could there have been some sort of cross infection from the sheep.
I use Virkon S myself on every coop when growers move on to bigger ones with chicks following up and for brooders in between batches of chicks. :thumbright:
laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Postby Henwife » 28 May 2011, 07:16

Coincidence. Chicken aren't premature babies and too much hygine isn't a good thing. There speaks an oldie with scant regard for cleanliness!
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.
Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 302 posts

Postby goatlady » 29 May 2011, 07:13

A vet once told me (when I asked about keeping chickens and goats on the same piece of land) that chickens and ruminants don't share parasites and such like, and so there was little danger in such an arrangement. I now keep Brahmas in a shed that used to house my goats - although I did clean and disinfect it first.
goatlady
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 30 posts

Postby laffinfowl » 29 May 2011, 11:34

Thank you people,i think i,ve managed to find out what the problem was,rather than there being an issue with the sheep having previously being housed in the shed,it was probaly a respitory illness that done for them as the shed seriously lacked adequate ventilation which has now been rectified,thanks again :thumbright:
laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Return to Avian Flu & Farm Livestock Diseases