Its raining blackbirds!

Forum specifically for discussion and information relating to avian flu and other diseases affecting all farm livestock.

Moderator: Moderators

Its raining blackbirds!

Postby laffinfowl » 03 Jan 2011, 10:46

News report on Sky,a small town in Arkansas is baffled after about a thousand dead Blackbirds rained from the sky on New Years eve,very strange scenes of white suited and masked men collecting them in white buckets to be taken away for tests to be done on the birds. :scratch:
laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 197 posts

Re: Its raining blackbirds!

Postby CP » 03 Jan 2011, 11:15

Strange....that sort of scene was featured in a film I'm sure....can't remember which one now though. :scratch:

I wonder what the test outcome will show?
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero
CP

Liked in: 167 posts

Postby xxchicketyboooxx » 03 Jan 2011, 18:26

Any updates on what they ve found?? x
xxchicketyboooxx

Liked in: 1 post

Postby DB08 » 03 Jan 2011, 18:32

CP wrote:Strange....that sort of scene was featured in a film I'm sure....can't remember which one now though. :scratch:

Raining frogs? If so, Magnolia. :)
DB08
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 0 post

Postby laffinfowl » 03 Jan 2011, 18:37

Have,nt heard anything else on it but at a guess i,d say the flock probably flew into a storm cloud or even the start of a twister ,i think that part of the States is notorious for tornados and freaky weather, at least you would hope it was something like that and not some more sinister. :-k
laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Postby Magpie » 03 Jan 2011, 21:16

I think the story has undergone some expansion by the press :roll:

The report going through ornithological circles is of c. 100 birds that had been killed by lightning.
Magpie

Postby laffinfowl » 03 Jan 2011, 22:53

Was watching a few videos earlier Magpie of some usa news programmes and i know what you saying about the press liking to sensationalise things but i must say looked like a lot more than 100 birds to me,one guy alone found 40 on his lawn and there were quite a few drums full of birds that had been collected,also reports of thousands of dead fish in a nearby river. :-k
laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Postby NannyP » 04 Jan 2011, 13:54

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jan/04/fireworks-arkansas-blackbird-deaths

New year fireworks appear to be behind the mysterious fall of thousands of blackbirds from the sky on to a small Arkansas town.

Revellers in Beebe were enjoying midnight fireworks on New Year's Eve when they noticed that dead birds rather than sparks were raining down on them.

The red-winged blackbirds fell on to rooftops, pavements and fields. One struck a woman walking her dog. Another hit a police car.

Birds were "littering the streets, the yards, the driveways, everywhere", said Robby King, a county wildlife officer in Beebe, a community of 5,000 people north-east of Little Rock. "It was hard to drive down the street in some places without running over them."

More than 3,000 birds tumbled to the ground. Scientists said yesterday that fireworks appeared to have frightened the birds into such a frenzy that they crashed into homes, cars and each other. Some may have flown straight into the ground.

In the above article, it states that Blackbirds have poor eyesight. We all know that chickens get stuck in the dark.
However, having experienced 4 NYE firework displays on Bideford Bridge in North Devon, where 1000's of starlings roost during the winter, I am not sure this is the answer. In my experience, the starlings are woken at midnight, fly from their roost in panic, but there are never reports of them being found dead as they couldn't manage the flying in the dark? I used to worry about them poor things, and of course would have been furious if they came to harm or died, but somehow, this didn't appear to happen.
Do starlings have better eyesight than blackbirds?

Coincidently, we used to get to watch amazing displays during Autumn sunsets of these birds as they performed in the skies before deciding to roost.

http://www.gbwildlife.co.uk/post/November-Starling-Displays.aspx
NannyP

Liked in: 246 posts

Postby kated » 04 Jan 2011, 14:30

Agree with NannyP - don't think they got a fright Birds are genetically primed to be frightened, get over it quick and carry on as before. Now there are reports of huge quantities of fish dying in a nearby river. Think we may never be told. :angryfire:
kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 82 posts

Postby julieszoo » 04 Jan 2011, 14:42

I thought toxin of some sort, probably airbourne initially as birds have such sensitive respiratory systems (remember canaries used to be taken down mines to act as early warning systems). Will be interesting to see if the cause is ever discovered. I wondered about a spillage of effluent from a farm, if animal faeces had been stored then released there would be high levels of ammonia.
julieszoo

Postby milkmaid » 04 Jan 2011, 17:42

this has happened before strangly in aussie and usa in 2007

the strangeness continues
there were 100.0000 fish found dead in a river 200 km away day before it happened
but primary reports seem to think it was caused by blunt force trauma
suz
rose comb white dorking nut
milkmaid
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Liked in: 12 posts

Postby laffinfowl » 04 Jan 2011, 18:29

And the blunt force trauma was received from hitting.............we will read next a low flying UFO. :-k
laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Postby CP » 04 Jan 2011, 19:39

It's aliens I tell you....aliens!! :alien: :lol:

The 'film' I thought I'd seen a similar thing in wasn't a film but a USA TV series on last year called 'Flashforward'. They had an incident of birds falling dead in a certain area. ;)
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero
CP

Liked in: 167 posts

Postby laffinfowl » 04 Jan 2011, 22:53

Stunning clip Nanny P,could watch it over and over, a wonder of nature, In answer to your great question "Do starlings have better eyesight than blackbirds" They may well do but then again i,ve never seen a blackbird wearing glasses :-k
laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Postby NannyP » 04 Jan 2011, 23:09

It was a fantastic sight, as the sun went down...over the old bridge in Bideford. I was lucky to see it, as we were only there 18 months.
NannyP

Liked in: 246 posts

Next

Return to Avian Flu & Farm Livestock Diseases