PLEASE HELP chickens and duck have died

Forum specifically for discussion and information relating to avian flu and other diseases affecting all farm livestock.

Moderator: Moderators

PLEASE HELP chickens and duck have died

Postby bella1982 » 03 May 2009, 14:12

Hi,
I have posted this in another section but I am really worried so wanted to try in this sectionm hope that is ok.

Very sadly yesterday morning my father in law discovered 4 of our 5 chickens had suddenly died overnight.

I haven't seen them but from what he has said there doesn't appear to be any sign of something managing to get in and attacking them and they are all in tack.

Does anyone have any ideas what might have caused it?

The remaining chicken and 3 ducks that share the coop all seemed fine but this morning one of the ducks was dead and again no sign of it being attacked so I am now really worried as to what it is.

Should we call a vet?

Sound silly but could it be birdflu / swine flu?

Do we have to tell anyone? Should I be worried about eating the eggs they have produced?

Not really sure what to do so any advice would be wonderful or if anyone shed any light on this.

Many Thanks

ps we live in SW France
bella1982

Liked in: 1 post

Re: PLEASE HELP chickens and duck have died

Postby Henwife » 03 May 2009, 17:57

Have the chicken shown any signs of sneezing or general malaise - sitting about looking unhappy, just not being quite 'right' when you look them over? Have you checked both them and their house very thoroughly for mites and lice - always worth assuming the worst and treating anyway? When were they last wormed.?Is their house well ventilated? Since they're not pigs it won't be 'swine flu' and with no obvious symptoms neither will it be chicken flu. Have a look at the defra website to re-assure yourself - their photos are not pretty.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.
Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 302 posts

Postby MaisytheDobe » 03 May 2009, 21:54

Henwife wrote:Have the chicken shown any signs of sneezing or general malaise - sitting about looking unhappy, just not being quite 'right' when you look them over? Have you checked both them and their house very thoroughly for mites and lice - always worth assuming the worst and treating anyway? When were they last wormed.?Is their house well ventilated? Since they're not pigs it won't be 'swine flu' and with no obvious symptoms neither will it be chicken flu. Have a look at the defra website to re-assure yourself - their photos are not pretty.

Quite right the photos aren't pretty, but it leaves you in no doubt!
MaisytheDobe
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Welsh Duck » 08 May 2009, 11:51

Have they gone and eaten something they shouldn't of?
For all the troubles in the world, I turn to ducks...

Breeder of White & Apricot Call Ducks.
Partridge Wyandotte Bantams
Welsh Duck
Hen
Hen

Postby Woodburner » 20 Oct 2009, 18:29

Avocado is lethal to chickens even in quite small quantities, don't know about ducks though.
Woodburner

Postby katebright » 12 Jan 2010, 05:32

I was reading an article on bird flu the other day. I found some very interesting facts there. Just have a look at it.

http://www.caring.com/news/new-weapon-m ... e-bird-flu
katebright

Postby Lily » 12 Jan 2010, 11:35

Check the water, could be botulism perhaps? Just a thought.

My goose found a container full of stagent water, very nearly lost her. Vet said it was some sort of gastro infection caused by the water, it was a fight to get her back to full health.

Hope you find the cause, good luck.
Human beings are the only creatures on earth that allow their children to come back home."
Lily
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 20 posts

Postby Lily » 15 Jan 2010, 14:19

Any more deaths Bella?
Hope everything is ok now.
Human beings are the only creatures on earth that allow their children to come back home."
Lily
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 20 posts

Return to Avian Flu & Farm Livestock Diseases