Swine flu alert

Forum specifically for discussion and information relating to avian flu and other diseases affecting all farm livestock.

Moderator: Moderators

Swine flu alert

Postby CP » 26 Apr 2009, 10:37

Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero
CP

Liked in: 167 posts

Re: Swine flu alert

Postby cookie88 » 26 Apr 2009, 11:26

its not good at all.
cookie88

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Lisleoise » 26 Apr 2009, 13:21

I just read that there is a possible case in France too: from the BBC "In France, a top health official told Le Parisien newspaper there were unconfirmed suspicions that two individuals who had just returned from Mexico may be carrying the virus" :(
Lisleoise

Postby Tarka » 26 Apr 2009, 15:42

So many so called epidemics are cropping up each and every year now , i may be naive but this time im not going to lose any sleep .
Tarka

Postby Elyssian » 26 Apr 2009, 22:07

Tarka wrote:So many so called epidemics are cropping up each and every year now , i may be naive but this time im not going to lose any sleep .

That isn't naive, I don't even think it's cynical, just sensible. The press have had a field day with Avian Influenza, SARS and 'Mad Cow Disease' in the recent past, it sell papers, but until there are genuine signs of an epidemic or pandemic I'm refusing to worry.
Elyssian

Postby Isotope » 26 Apr 2009, 22:44

I'm not worried, because I agree the press can/do over-sensationalise things often - but I am reconisdering whether we will be taking our 1 year old daughter to Mexico this September, despite having been saving *very* hard, for the trip of a lifetime to see the Mayan ruins, for over a year now :cry:
Isotope

Postby CP » 26 Apr 2009, 22:50

If you haven't already booked the flight, I'd be inclined to wait a while longer to see what may happen. You don't want to put her or yourselves in any unecessary danger.

I also agree that the press often make mountains out of molehills & I'm not worried at the moment, but you never know..... :|
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero
CP

Liked in: 167 posts

Postby Isotope » 26 Apr 2009, 22:55

Yes, that's exactly what I'm doing :-) I had started looking at flights, but thankfully hadn't booked (although I was on the verge!)

Guess I'll wait a month and see how things pan out. You're right, having the baby makes all the difference. In the past, we would've gone unless there was specific foreign office advice against it. Now, I will be so much more cautious, but I still don't want to fall prey to scaremongering. I just hope I can get accurate information on which to base a final decision :?
Isotope

Postby Itsybitsy » 26 Apr 2009, 23:18

Isotope wrote:the trip of a lifetime to see the Mayan ruins, for over a year now :cry:

The Mayan ruins will still be there next year and the year after and your daughter will be older then to see them...........

Itsybitsy
Itsybitsy

Postby Isotope » 26 Apr 2009, 23:23

I know, you're right. I will look on the bright side :)
Isotope

Postby Lisleoise » 27 Apr 2009, 06:11

Itsybitsy wrote:
Isotope wrote:the trip of a lifetime to see the Mayan ruins, for over a year now :cry:

The Mayan ruins will still be there next year and the year after and your daughter will be older then to see them...........

Itsybitsy

I agree, your daughter will not apreciate them at all at that tender age. Wait until after she is five at least if she is going to have any lasting memories of the visit, after all it's one of those 'once-in-a-lifetime' sort of trips isn't it. And in five years Swine Flu will have been forgotten about or we'll all be past caring anyway.
Lisleoise

Postby Isotope » 27 Apr 2009, 08:13

Gosh, you're making me feel selfish for thinking to go!

I had to make a decision - without going into the ins-and-outs - a life change may very well mean that from next March when my work contract ends I get to spend time at home with my daughter (Yay!) but the flip-side is there'll be no more opportunities to save for holidays to Mexico! I don't mind, I don't think you necessarily need to have expensive holidays to have a good time, and I would love to be at home with Maija. But I did want to go out with a bang, as it were. With the best of intentions, if I tried to save the money I have this year for another year, I expect bills/life would prevent me. I also hope that my daughter would get *something* from the trip even if she couldn't remember it at a later date. She seems to have enjoyed "walking" (in a backpack) in Brittany , climbing Pen y Fan in Wales and visiting lots of family in Ireland.

But things'll work out how they work out.

If I *do* go, I hope my daughter won't resent me for taking her there when she was too young to appreciate it. Believe me, that did cross my mind!
Isotope

Postby Matildanz » 27 Apr 2009, 12:04

Isotope - can you put your savings into an account that you can't get to easily so it's there when you are ready to go? How frustrating to have saved so hard and then this crops up!

Here in NZ, we have had 10 confirmed cases of this flu in students up North who have just come home from Mexico. Unfortunately one of the students went out the day after arriving home and played soccer so everyone is hoping no one else has been infected.

I'm not getting too stressed about the whole outbreak thing until we are informed that there is something to worry about. Sars and the Bird Flu didn't really affect us too much given our remoteness. Here's hoping this is the case this time.
Matildanz

Postby Matildanz » 27 Apr 2009, 12:14

Have just heard on the late news that there are also 'suspected' cases of Swine flu in Otago (as far from the 10 students as can possibly be!) and also the Nelson area (right in the middle). However....... before I start to panic, it's coming into the flu season with cold days then hot days which stuffs everyone up at the best of times, so it'll be life as usual until it's confirmed.
Matildanz

Postby Big D » 27 Apr 2009, 17:53

According to the Daily Express in the cafe today "up to 120 million could die"

Scare mongering? Naaaaaa.......not the Express #-o [-X
Big D

Next

Return to Avian Flu & Farm Livestock Diseases