Swine flu alert

Forum specifically for discussion and information relating to avian flu and other diseases affecting all farm livestock.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Swine flu alert

Postby milkmaid » 28 Apr 2009, 21:12

mind you the spread of this needs keeping an eye on
http://twitter.com/Veratect
woundn't normally go on here but ,even if it's not fatal it spreading fast
suz
rose comb white dorking nut
milkmaid
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Liked in: 12 posts

Postby CP » 29 Apr 2009, 09:21

Looks like we'll all be getting information about this in the post soon. :(

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20090429/tu ... 23e80.html
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero
CP

Liked in: 166 posts

Postby Elly » 29 Apr 2009, 10:14

If you are fit and healthy you would most likely be able to fight of the infection, suffering little more than a few days of aches, pains, fever etc.
It is the very young/old, those with lung conditions, poor immunity/health and immobility that are going to be most at risk.
In our house it is a real worry as we have 4 asthma sufferers, 1 with scarred lungs. As many of you know, I am wheelchair bound and my immunity is not great. If hubby gets it thats my primary carer out of action.
My hope is that the media IS making more of it to sell papers :!: It does seem as though cases outside Mexico have been milder, but maybe thats because they were healthy people to start with :?:
Oh well, Life is to short to spend all day worrying.
Have fun and enjoy each day :grin:
Keep smilin
Elly
Elly

Liked in: 1 post

Postby jreeve » 29 Apr 2009, 12:34

Unfortunately this strain is like the spanish flu, it doesnt just go to the old, young or ill. Most of the cases have been young healthy adults. Tamiflu, which needs to be given within 48hrs of showing symptoms, is the main thing that is stopping people outside of mexico dying from it. In mexico they are poorer, maybe don't have as good an immune system to start with but then they arn't getting their tamiflu in time to save them. Hopefully it will settle down over here but to be honest they should have stopped all traffic to and from mexico until they could be sure of how to prevent those people bringing it here. If that had been done when we first knew about it it wouldnt be in the UK at all. Why they are still letting people travel to mexico i have no idea. The mexican borders should have been closed at the start. The people coming back should be kept in isolation and given tamiflu. At the moment they are only pulling people off the planes at airports if they say they are showing symptoms. Thats not good enough. Everyone on that plane will have a massive chance of catching the flu from an infected person, being sat near them in a sealed tube for however many hours. The bug lives on hard surfaces for 24 hours. Everyone getting off those planes should be checked. If we had enough tamiflu for everyone then we could all relax, but we don't, we have enough for 50% of the population according to the press, and 25% according to the police and army, most of which will be dished out to service and vital personel. Maybe its better to get the flu now so there is still enough tamiflu left! The best people can do is keep out of the way of big crowds of people, use alcohol hand gel after being in public or shaking peoples hands etc, take vitc/garlic/zinc supplements, stock up on foods and water incase you do get ill, and stay in your house if you are ill. People that take it too lightly are putting everyone else at risk.
jreeve

Postby Chris Kurzfeld » 30 Apr 2009, 09:58

After so many scare stories - bird flu etc... I am not going to panic about this one - the media are very good a scare stories. I do wonder though what the NHS/government are going to do about the very young and the elderly and people that get a free flu jab every year due to a compromised immune systems/ cancer etc.... should this get out of hand? So far there only seems to be a plan to medicate health workers (which I may add is only right as they are at the forfront).
Chris

love me, love my 4 dogs, 3 cats, over 100 chickens (but don't tell OH) and 7 sheep - oops, almost forgot the 2 tanks of fish!

I live in my own little world but it's ok - they know me here!
Chris Kurzfeld
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 28 posts

Postby Elly » 30 Apr 2009, 14:48

jreeve wrote:Unfortunately this strain is like the spanish flu, it doesnt just go to the old, young or ill. Most of the cases have been young healthy adults. Tamiflu, which needs to be given within 48hrs of showing symptoms, is the main thing that is stopping people outside of mexico dying from it. In mexico they are poorer, maybe don't have as good an immune system to start with but then they arn't getting their tamiflu in time to save them. Hopefully it will settle down over here but to be honest they should have stopped all traffic to and from mexico until they could be sure of how to prevent those people bringing it here. If that had been done when we first knew about it it wouldnt be in the UK at all. Why they are still letting people travel to mexico i have no idea. The mexican borders should have been closed at the start. The people coming back should be kept in isolation and given tamiflu. At the moment they are only pulling people off the planes at airports if they say they are showing symptoms. Thats not good enough. Everyone on that plane will have a massive chance of catching the flu from an infected person, being sat near them in a sealed tube for however many hours. The bug lives on hard surfaces for 24 hours. Everyone getting off those planes should be checked. If we had enough tamiflu for everyone then we could all relax, but we don't, we have enough for 50% of the population according to the press, and 25% according to the police and army, most of which will be dished out to service and vital personel. Maybe its better to get the flu now so there is still enough tamiflu left! The best people can do is keep out of the way of big crowds of people, use alcohol hand gel after being in public or shaking peoples hands etc, take vitc/garlic/zinc supplements, stock up on foods and water incase you do get ill, and stay in your house if you are ill. People that take it too lightly are putting everyone else at risk.

Believe you me I am not taking it lightly at all and know it has killed young adults. What we dont know is the background of these people, their life styles, nutrition, sanitation and so on. Checking people as they get off planes may be of little help due to incubation periods. As for isolating Mexico, that could have a devastating affect on the country and again isolation periods mean the bug may have been spread before anyone realised what was happening.
What we dont want to do is go OTT though and end up having a super strain due to overuse of anti viral drugs. All it needs is good old common sense: If you feel ill stay away from others, dont send sick children to school, wash hands frequently, keep work surfaces clean, encourage schools, employers etc to send home anyone with signs of illness, avoid large crowds in confined spaces and most importantly dont panic.
Remember that many more people will survive this bug than die from it and newspapers love to focus on the downside of everything.
Keep smilin
Elly
Elly

Postby Auntie Katie » 30 Apr 2009, 18:33

One of the vets at work has been contacted by her mum today to say a girl from their local school has been diaganosed with it. They are just outside Paignton in Devon. Seems bizarre its gone straight from one end of the country to the other.
====== :dog:============================================================= :dog: =====
Auntie Katie
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Elly » 30 Apr 2009, 21:44

Auntie Katie wrote:One of the vets at work has been contacted by her mum today to say a girl from their local school has been diaganosed with it. They are just outside Paignton in Devon. Seems bizarre its gone straight from one end of the country to the other.

On the BBC website it said the girl has recently returned from a holiday in Mexico, so again brought back rather than caught here.
Keep smilin
Elly
Elly

Postby CP » 01 May 2009, 09:47

Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero
CP

Postby cookie88 » 16 Jun 2009, 22:42

cookie88

Postby milkmaid » 17 Jun 2009, 13:33

well cookie you'll be pleased to know that 2 of the people who where being tested
my daughter kerri has just come out negtive ;) ,we hadn't seen her anyway ,but she's clear now ;) and can come out of iccolation (sp)
suz
milkmaid
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Postby CP » 17 Jun 2009, 13:35

Phew, bet that's a relief Suz! :shock: :grin:
Happy in Hampshire!

CP

Postby milkmaid » 17 Jun 2009, 13:41

yep it is a bit, dad drove her to the doctors ,and his chest isn't the best so i was a bit worried about him ,kerri still feels rotten but it isn't flu ,i'll have to phone her and see what doctor has said ,she has been in iccolation for a week waiting for the results to come back

deb you can come over it's safe now
suz
milkmaid
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Postby debcat » 17 Jun 2009, 14:17

thank goodness for that
we're all sane it's the rest of the world thats mad!
debcat

Liked in: 7 posts

Postby cookie88 » 17 Jun 2009, 22:52

milkmaid wrote:well cookie you'll be pleased to know that 2 of the people who where being tested
my daughter kerri has just come out negtive ;) ,we hadn't seen her anyway ,but she's clear now ;) and can come out of iccolation (sp)

thats great news
cookie88

PreviousNext

Return to Avian Flu & Farm Livestock Diseases