Vorwerk

One thread for each breed. Threads are started by a moderator - add information about each breed, and contact us to add another.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Vorwerk

Postby efwellywoman » 30 Jun 2009, 23:56

They're LF - and those gorgeous chicks keep reminding me of mini penguins...

They're doing really well so far - lovely combination of business & curiosity with a calm confidence. Will post some pics at the weekend.
The pullets seem really keen on flying though....went to check on them this afternoon and found them sitting on a branch,ten foot up in the old holly tree in their pen. Hmm. Still if it keeps them happy who am I to argue .....
They did come down pretty sharpish for their tea though....

Am I right in thinking that the colour definition should be set by the third set of feathers? The pullets are already looking pretty good without any black feather tipping on the body, but their hackles could do with being better defined.
Am quite besotted - even the old man's gone soft over the chicks! :bounce:
Welsummers, Vorwerks, Orpingtons in (taking a deep breath....)black-buff-buff columbian-crele -partridge & red, two totally indolent equines, two occasionally useful(ish) German Shepherds, one non feral feral cat (who is NOT going to live indoors however pitifully he might sit with his nose pressed against the window - OK I've lost, he's got his own cushion now....) and a partridge in a pear tree.....nope, that's just the Vorwerks tree climbing again...oh, and not forgetting the O(ld man of the)H(ils) and the Offsprung.
efwellywoman
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 12 posts

Postby Magpie » 01 Jul 2009, 21:24

My broody bantam Vorwerk hatched 3 chicks this week, abandoned the 4th when it was just pipping... She seems to be doing all the right things so far :-)

Vorwerk are like Lakenvelders but quicker, the first couple of sets of feathers look a bit of a mess and they should be properly marked by about 12-14 weeks if my first couple of years hatches are anything to go by. Lakenvelders can still improve in their second season as long as they are kept out of the sun.
Magpie

Liked in: 1 post

Postby CP » 02 Jul 2009, 01:02

=D> =D> Pics?
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero
CP

Liked in: 171 posts

Postby Magpie » 06 Jul 2009, 22:16

Here you go - she wasn't being helpful and I only had my phone camera but you get the idea :-)

Magpie

Postby surrey bird » 08 Jul 2009, 18:20

Just put 6 eggs in the incubator, from Ebay so been posted, dont know what will happen, usualy like to collect eggs in person. I take it if I get any out I could have fun at night time getting them down from the trees, being as we live in woodland!!!!!!
surrey bird
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 0 post

Postby efwellywoman » 08 Jul 2009, 23:45

LOVELY PICS!!!
Here's a couple of my latest bunch, and broody two (Rose) is now in action on another clutch...

Elizabeth (Speckledy x Maran) with her first hatched Vorwerk.

Planning the escape route......

Plus Welsummer & Light Sussex friends & relations

They're all gorgeous, but this one is looking particularly promising......
Am definitely besotted!
efwellywoman
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 12 posts

Postby CP » 09 Jul 2009, 00:30

They're really beautiful. :grin:
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero
CP

Liked in: 171 posts

Postby Matthew Waller » 03 Apr 2010, 20:06

hello im new and i was wondering does anyone have any vorwerk bantams or large fowl trios for sale in lancashire, mersyside or near by those areas?

thanks very much

Matthew
Matthew Waller

Postby jemma » 26 Apr 2010, 11:48

looking to purchase three Vorwerk Hens anyone know of any breeders in the sussex area
jemma

Postby Big D » 28 Apr 2010, 23:06

This is my Vorwerk. Lovely hen although a bit to soft so the other girls tend to bully her.
I'm hopeful that i'll be able to show her after her next moult as her black has remained where it is supposed to.

Big D

Postby bantambob » 29 Apr 2010, 20:36

A Vorwerk chick & grower

bob
bantambob
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby Henwoman » 11 May 2010, 18:44

I have five Vorwerk chicks who are nearly seven weeks now. I bought them in at nearly four weeks and they are really growing fast.

How do I post a photo please?
Henwoman

Postby Greggorio » 12 Feb 2011, 13:11

Does anyone have any hatching eggs or likely to (bantam, not LF) If so what colours do you have? I'd only want pure breeds so i could guarantee the colour. Just trying to sort out a list of eggs from who for when I'm over at the start of april.

Thanks
Greggorio

Postby ChocOrp » 16 Jun 2011, 08:32

Hi everyone, I've recently bought some vorwerk eggs of the Internet and ive been looking at the colour of the chicks, well we had our first one hatch yesterday and it was like a RIR chick, yellow, do I have the wrong birds because all the vorwerk chicks I've seen are black with a yellow head, any help would be much appreciated, Matthew.
ChocOrp

Postby DrRob72 » 22 Sep 2011, 23:29

Hi,
We are looking for some Vorwerk Bantam hatching eggs if anyone knows a breeder who sells them.
We are in South Somerset but can travel if someone does not wish to post them.

Any help or advice would be greatly received.

Kind Regards
Rob & Sarah

South West Poultry.
DrRob72

PreviousNext

Return to Breeds