Dutch Bantams

One thread for each breed. Threads are started by a moderator - add information about each breed, and contact us to add another.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Dutch Bantams

Postby Magpie » 10 Dec 2010, 18:08

Some of mine hacthed in April are starting now, most will probably start in February or March now though. Hope for a nice warmish start to the year and they may start earlier :)
Magpie

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Gman » 13 Dec 2010, 22:12

Mine were laying up till the cold snap and have stopped now.
It must be their Winter break :grin:
Want early eggs next year so i hope it is an early spring.
Gman

Postby Matthew Waller » 08 Feb 2011, 23:38

jojosarah wrote:Hi MW

If you search for this topic 'Identifying breeds, a new challenge....please' you will see pics of my girls and the cockerell was a Maran, there is nothing that looks remotely like a DB.
Also the other chick is from the same five girls and cockerell mix, and the five chicks were all black with yellow or yellow with black markings. This is the first one i have seen with such striking brown markings.

This chick is so intriguing i , can't wait to see how it turns out and hoping its a girly, because it is so sweet natured and calm when handled. The bigger chick reminds me of a raptor from Jurrasic park, hee hee.

I think your gene jumping theory may be right, i hatched the hens from a mixed batch of eggs, the lady has 200+ hens running with 20 cockerells. I wanted the mix of colours, shapes and sizes and have certainly got that, i have also got myself a bit of a mystery flock. Never mind they are all healthy, good layers and with great personalities.

i know its been a very long time i havnt been on this forum for a long time due to loss of birds so i lost interest but now im back how did the odd chick turn out?:D

kind regards Matthew Waller
Matthew Waller

Postby Greggorio » 12 Feb 2011, 13:08

Does anyone have any hatching eggs or likely to. If so what colours do you have? I'd only want pure breeds so i could guarantee the colour. Just trying to sort out a list of eggs from who for when I'm over at the start of april.

Thanks
Greggorio

Postby jojosarah » 12 Feb 2011, 13:17

Matthew Waller wrote:
jojosarah wrote:Hi MW

If you search for this topic 'Identifying breeds, a new challenge....please' you will see pics of my girls and the cockerell was a Maran, there is nothing that looks remotely like a DB.
Also the other chick is from the same five girls and cockerell mix, and the five chicks were all black with yellow or yellow with black markings. This is the first one i have seen with such striking brown markings.

This chick is so intriguing i , can't wait to see how it turns out and hoping its a girly, because it is so sweet natured and calm when handled. The bigger chick reminds me of a raptor from Jurrasic park, hee hee.

I think your gene jumping theory may be right, i hatched the hens from a mixed batch of eggs, the lady has 200+ hens running with 20 cockerells. I wanted the mix of colours, shapes and sizes and have certainly got that, i have also got myself a bit of a mystery flock. Never mind they are all healthy, good layers and with great personalities.

i know its been a very long time i havnt been on this forum for a long time due to loss of birds so i lost interest but now im back how did the odd chick turn out?:D

kind regards Matthew Waller

Sorry Matthew only just saw your post, this him at 26 weeks old, his feathering is amazing. I am trying to rehome him, seems ashame to cull as he is so beautiful.

John Deere Cockerells 006.JPG

Regards Jo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jojosarah

Postby Matthew Waller » 12 Feb 2011, 19:24

hi Jo:D what is he ? hes got odd combination of colours but looks quite nice, sorry i cant helo you rehome him i dont keep large fowl and my mum doesnt want a cock. does he have a name:P? good luck with rehoming him. why not try a clitherow show?.

regards Matthew
Matthew Waller

Postby jojosarah » 13 Feb 2011, 16:16

Matthew Waller wrote:hi Jo:D what is he ? hes got odd combination of colours but looks quite nice, sorry i cant helo you rehome him i dont keep large fowl and my mum doesnt want a cock. does he have a name:P? good luck with rehoming him. why not try a clitherow show?.

regards Matthew

Hi Matthew

i have no idea what he is and where all the pretty feathers have come from, must be a throw back in his gene pool. He is one of the most unusual cocks i have ever seen for colours, especially his very pale skin on his face. I called him Tiny from the day he hatched, as he was a single hatchling and i had to borrow a 2 week old chick off my broody to keep him company, as soon as they met Tiny snuggled under Terry and they have been firm friends since. I have a home now for Tiny, he's going to have his own girl friends :grin:
jojosarah

Postby Matthew Waller » 13 Feb 2011, 23:59

awww swweet and yay finaly:D hes definetly an interesting bird. glad hes now got a new home with some lady friends. are you breeding enything this season?

Matthew
Matthew Waller

Postby jojosarah » 14 Feb 2011, 08:40

I have five, week old Pekin x Frizzle chicks in my brooder, did a test hatch in my new R-com. Just about to fill with assorted Pekins, Silver Pencilled Wyandotte Bantam, Silver Sussex Bantam and TNN x silkie(showgirls)L/F. Should be fairly interesting. :lol:
jojosarah

Postby Matthew Waller » 14 Feb 2011, 09:34

aww good i did a test run from eggs off my first hatchlings last year.the chicks didnt make it to the hatching stage:(. but i have 7 large fowl egg layers in while i wait for my modern game to start laying :P. 5 speckled and asorted layers and 2 susex eggs hope they will hatch this time. 7 eggs with none hatching has never happend to me befor. i suppose it was me constantly looking at them:P or the fact they where their first lot of continuous eggs :P. good luck with yours hope to see some pictures:D of them hatched or starting to hatch:D. i use a brinsea mini advance (for the lazy man who wants small numbers :P).

Matthew
Matthew Waller

Postby jojosarah » 14 Feb 2011, 21:53

My mum brought me a new R-com Suro King incubator for my birthday, it is excellent. I only had a 12 egg manual turn incy until then, but it was very hit and miss hatching wise, i lost Khaki Campbell duck eggs which did have viable chicks in a some point. Will have to give them another go once the incy is empty in 3 weeks.
jojosarah

Postby jaygee » 06 Jul 2011, 17:42

5 Gold Dutch Bantam chicks. One and a half weeks old at time of photo.

I hatched them in a Brinsea Mini Advance.

[FILE NOW REMOVED]
Last edited by jaygee on 13 Aug 2011, 10:47, edited 1 time in total.
jaygee
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 0 post

Postby jaygee » 13 Aug 2011, 10:44

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-UepPJIMiI

^ VIDEO OF MY GOLD DUTCH GROWERS - AGED 7 WEEKS.

They're now 8 weeks old and in two pens, separated by sex.
jaygee
Chick
Chick

Postby jaygee » 20 Aug 2011, 10:22

Here are some photos taken last weekend, when my Gold Dutch youngsters were 8 weeks old:

Cockerels

Pullets

jaygee
Chick
Chick

Postby NCOTB » 20 Aug 2011, 23:45

Very nice!
NCOTB
Pullet
Pullet