Jersey Giants

One thread for each breed. Threads are started by a moderator - add information about each breed, and contact us to add another.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Jersey Giants

Postby CP » 27 May 2009, 09:54

I haven't got JG's but AFAIK you can eat any bird but obviously some are better than others. ;)
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero
CP

Liked in: 171 posts

Postby Hilarysmum » 13 Jun 2009, 09:45

Thanks are Jerseys one of the better eating ones? I ask because we have brahmas and Jerseys, and for the life of me I cant bring myself to eat a brahma.
Hilarysmum

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Gem@carraghs » 14 Jun 2009, 19:09

hi, ive just bought 4 jersey giant day olds, (3 black,1blue)
what other bird? would they be similar in size too? would they be similar in size to a turkey hen perhaps?
ive never seen any Jersey Giant's in the flesh and all the pics ive seen have been of a lone bird!!

thanks gem
Gem@carraghs

Postby newby » 29 Jul 2009, 09:16

Gallois, how are you doing with your JG's can you put some pictures on please.
newby

Postby Prunio » 23 Aug 2009, 18:48

The information on JGs is really interesting; I have just bought a large coop (10'x8') with the intention of getting a few JGs, preferably blue, so if anyone has any hatching eggs this far on in the season, please let me know
Prunio

Postby mal » 25 Aug 2009, 13:51

It's nice to see somebody else has Jerseys!! They don't seem very popular. I have 4 at the moment but I'm hoping to add more soon. I have 3 black and 1 Splash. I'm hoping to add another blood line to them soon!

mal

Postby lisajcurry » 17 Jan 2010, 15:16

Hi, very recently successfully hatched 4 JG eggs which were bought as black. Have no previous experience of the breed - can anyone advise whether it is normal to have significant white wing feathers at 8 weeks old. All 4 (2 only 4 weeks and 2 at 8 weeks old )have had quite a lot of white feathers since growing their feathers. We thought they would be all black - concerned that the seller has not sold me pure bred black JGs.
Thanks.
Lisa.
lisajcurry

Postby Francophowl » 17 Jan 2010, 16:36

Hi, Black breeds including Jersey Giants quite often have some white wing feathers when young. We keep JG's and Croad Langshans and they have both had white feathering at that age. As interbreeding of Black, Blue and Spash in JG's is the norm I suppose it's even more likely in them.
Regards Peter
lisajcurry wrote:Hi, very recently successfully hatched 4 JG eggs which were bought as black. Have no previous experience of the breed - can anyone advise whether it is normal to have significant white wing feathers at 8 weeks old. All 4 (2 only 4 weeks and 2 at 8 weeks old )have had quite a lot of white feathers since growing their feathers. We thought they would be all black - concerned that the seller has not sold me pure bred black JGs.
Thanks.
Lisa.
Francophowl

Postby penny_black » 19 Jan 2010, 16:40

Hi im looking for some jersey giant hatching eggs. anyone in the north devon area have any? or anyone who is willing to post. (would rather collect as i think the postal service around here is rubbish.) postman doesn't arrive untill after 3.30pm on a good day!! any colours are fine, please pm if you can help. many thanks.

i do have eggs to swap if i have anything you like. :grin:
penny_black

Postby Phill » 21 Jan 2010, 10:21

How could you eat a Jersy or a Brahma? Their worth more to sell then to eat, some go for like £45 a bird o.0

Would you really eat a bird worth £45?

Why not go with hybrids for eating? All chickens taste the same since their the same no matter what their breed Bluebeles are pretty large and cost half as much.
Phill

Postby Francophowl » 21 Jan 2010, 10:37

It depends on how many you have and what market you have for selling them doesn't it? We have all sorts of cocks that we end up eating including Croad Langshans and Brahmas because there is only a limited market for them. Unfortunately it's not very often you get more hens than cocks. I'm sure as our stock of Jerseys increases that there will be a surplus of those too.
Phill wrote:How could you eat a Jersy or a Brahma? Their worth more to sell then to eat, some go for like £45 a bird o.0

Would you really eat a bird worth £45?

Why not go with hybrids for eating? All chickens taste the same since their the same no matter what their breed Bluebeles are pretty large and cost half as much.
Francophowl

Postby Phill » 21 Jan 2010, 11:28

I guess cockerals tend to be worthless in comparison to hens despite being the prettier, its a shame their so noisey.
Phill

Postby girlracer265 » 21 Jan 2010, 12:45

we have some black jersey giants but we haven't seperated them into breeding pens yet so no eggs available yet :oops:
they are such a placid bird and so pretty but i am not a huge fan of the youngsters ( they look like dinosaurs at around 5 - 6 weeks :lol:
girlracer265

Postby Hen-Gen » 21 Jan 2010, 13:10

Eight years ago I bought a blue JG cockerel for a breeding project which is ongoing to this day. He was a very well mannered bird, both to his hens and to me. None of his hens acquired the characteristic bald patch from too much treading yet fertility was high.
Irrespective of cost though I would say that JGs are a slow maturing breed and not ideal for eating for that reason. He continued to grow well into his second year. His daughters from some Light Sussex hens made impressive layers and his sons would probably have made good eating. I still have his descendants (six generations on) from a mating to some Welsummers but these, of course, now have all the vices of this most truculent breed.
If you have nothing
Give it away
Hen-Gen
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 117 posts

Postby Francophowl » 21 Jan 2010, 13:35

Hi Phil
Picking up on your other point about "all chickens taste the same" I would say try the old breeds, they definitely have a stronger taste! Croad Langshans taste more like Guinea Fowl than chicken, so much tastier than any modern laying breed.
Phill wrote:I guess cockerals tend to be worthless in comparison to hens despite being the prettier, its a shame their so noisey.
Francophowl

PreviousNext

Return to Breeds