Jersey Giants

One thread for each breed. Threads are started by a moderator - add information about each breed, and contact us to add another.

Moderator: Moderators

Jersey Giants

Postby Ex Moderator » 09 Nov 2005, 15:36

This thread is for Jersey Giants.
Ex Moderator

Liked in: 1 post

Postby aliceb » 09 Nov 2005, 16:04

I have got 3 jersey giants. a gorgeous splash cockeral called Booster the Rooster, and 2 black hens called Bella and Fizz (that's the sort of thing which happens when you allow a five year old to name the chickens, they get named after flippin Tweenies!!). They were all hatched from different lines at the beginning of June and so have just turned 5 months old. No eggs as yet and to be honest i'm not really expecting any now until next spring. Booster is definately the top man, he spend most of his days herding his girlies about and making sure they know who's boss. He's a real charachter, one of the first lessons I learnt with him was not to try to clean out the chickens whilst wearing open toed shoes after painting on gold nail varnish. Blummin thing wouldn't leave my toes alone! Anyway nuff waffle, I will take the camera home tonight to take some up to date photos of them.
aliceb

J G's

Postby Mr Cholmondley-Warner » 12 Nov 2005, 04:56

We have 2 white cockerels 1 black 1 splash 1 blue and 5 white hens 4 splash hens and 2 blue hens.They are really super birds and I will certainly be breeding more of them next year.The splash we have are the best both for spectacular marking and size of bird.The splash cockerel is close to 16 lbs already and he is not 12 months old yet.
They have a great temperament except our pure white one who is an absolute *$£**"$ to the hens he services and he is fiesty attacking the turkeys who are very much bigger than him.
I will be breeding from him next year purely for his pure colour but if he is no good he will have an appointment with the Rayburn I am sure he will be very tasty
rich
"May I become at all times, both now and forever
A protector for those without protection
A guide for those who have lost their way
A ship for those with oceans to cross
A bridge for those with rivers to cross
A sanctuary for those in danger
A lamp for those without light
A place of refuge for those who lack shelter
And a servant to all in need." - Bodhisattva heart of compassion.
http://www.buddhanet.net/
Mr Cholmondley-Warner
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 0 post

Postby aliceb » 14 Nov 2005, 09:35

I would really love a splash hen and a blue hen. if you breed any for sale next year would you sell me a couple pleeeeese!
aliceb

Postby Nisi » 15 Nov 2005, 10:02

I would also love a splash and a blue so could you let me know as well !
Nisi

Postby Mr Cholmondley-Warner » 17 Nov 2005, 02:55

I will be breeding from them in the early spring so will let you both know when I have some youngsters.
Glad someone else likes them, they are a proper chicken, big, meaty,lay well and usually placid (though our one white cockerel is a psycho) and put these wimpy bantam size 'large fowl' to shame :D

rich
"May I become at all times, both now and forever
A protector for those without protection
A guide for those who have lost their way
A ship for those with oceans to cross
A bridge for those with rivers to cross
A sanctuary for those in danger
A lamp for those without light
A place of refuge for those who lack shelter
And a servant to all in need." - Bodhisattva heart of compassion.
http://www.buddhanet.net/
Mr Cholmondley-Warner
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 0 post

Postby aliceb » 17 Nov 2005, 09:19

yeah!!! :hello1: :hello1: :hello1: :hello1: :hello1: thankyou!!!!!
aliceb

Postby Nisi » 17 Nov 2005, 20:39

:smilebox:

Can't wait for spring !
Nisi

Spring is springing!! :lol:

Postby MGWoman » 03 Jan 2006, 22:58

Will you be selling hatching eggs soon for your JG's people?

If you are how much and when?

Aly
MGWoman

jersey Giants

Postby D4wdec » 14 Jan 2006, 21:26

hi , im looking to aquire at least a pair of Blue Jesrey giant hens as soon as poss .... but they have to be blue ... i had a magnificent blue cockrel .. but alas Mr Fox had his wicked way with him ... as i have Gavins son ... i sadly dont need a cockrel, but am desperate for a pair of blue hens ... many thanks
D4wdec

Re: J G's

Postby Francophowl » 01 Mar 2008, 13:38

poultry poofs wrote:We have 2 white cockerels 1 black 1 splash 1 blue and 5 white hens 4 splash hens and 2 blue hens.They are really super birds and I will certainly be breeding more of them next year.The splash we have are the best both for spectacular marking and size of bird.The splash cockerel is close to 16 lbs already and he is not 12 months old yet.
They have a great temperament except our pure white one who is an absolute *$£**"$ to the hens he services and he is fiesty attacking the turkeys who are very much bigger than him.
I will be breeding from him next year purely for his pure colour but if he is no good he will have an appointment with the Rayburn I am sure he will be very tasty
rich

Hi, Do you have any eggs for sale from your JG's? Particularly the Blue and Splash. I live in France and they are virtually unknown here. Would you be willing to send them? I have just had two dozen eggs arrive in poly boxes and in perfect condition so they should arrive OK
Regards Peter
Francophowl

Jersey Giant

Postby Tia Maria » 13 Oct 2008, 16:04

Hi what do blue JG's look like? and Splash's for that matter I have a young (5 month ish) whit jersey Giant hen/cockerel - not sure which yet. I am interested in whatever I can learn about JG. Mine - Gordon - is a real character, confident and funny. When will I be able to tell its sex? when will it lay/crow? anything else you can tell me?
A mixed LF flock of 2 Lavender Araucanas, 3 Barnevelders (1 double laced and 2 blue), 1 Blackrock, 3 Cuckoo Marans, 1, 1 White Star, 2 Silver Campine, 1 Blue Marans, 1 Black Copper Marans & 1 Marans x Araucana (lays green eggs).

And 4 dogs, 4 ferrets and 1 Harris Hawk
Tia Maria
Pullet
Pullet

Postby JC » 14 Oct 2008, 21:29

How big are they at full size? Same size as orpingtons? How long does it take for them to become full size?
JC

Postby Tia Maria » 15 Oct 2008, 07:43

Thank you, very informative
A mixed LF flock of 2 Lavender Araucanas, 3 Barnevelders (1 double laced and 2 blue), 1 Blackrock, 3 Cuckoo Marans, 1, 1 White Star, 2 Silver Campine, 1 Blue Marans, 1 Black Copper Marans & 1 Marans x Araucana (lays green eggs).

And 4 dogs, 4 ferrets and 1 Harris Hawk
Tia Maria
Pullet
Pullet

Next

Return to Breeds