Norfolk Grey

One thread for each breed. Threads are started by a moderator - add information about each breed, and contact us to add another.

Moderator: Moderators

Norfolk Grey

Postby debcat » 20 Aug 2009, 21:38

thread for Norfolk grey
we're all sane it's the rest of the world thats mad!
debcat

Liked in: 7 posts

Re: Norfolk Grey

Postby power poultry » 20 Aug 2009, 21:57

Hi Guys,

Would love to find anyone else that keeps this breed.

We started with them this year and Have our girls boyfriend coming on Friday.

Will be on his own till next year As we are hoping to take one of our pullets to the fed.

She got Best Rare Breed at the Norfolk Poultry Club show last week she just needs to fill out a bit more.She is only 23 weeks old so still some more growing to do.

We also keep in rare breeds Marsh Daisy and Andalusian

Will try at weekend to get some image on for you all

Karen
power poultry

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Ally_J » 25 Aug 2009, 12:59

A little bit of background for the Norfolk Grey, the breed was created by Mr Myhill of Norwich, under the original name of 'Black Marias', appearing at the 1920 Dairy Show for the first time. The original birds were a result of crossing the Silver Birchen Game and Duckwing Leghorns. There are both Large Fowl and Bantam versions which are standardised in one plumage colour, and are classified as a 'Heavy' breed and are rare. They are an active breed which enjoys foraging, the hen's produce tinted eggs and the cockerel's are capable of attaining a good carcass size for meat production but they do need time to mature slowly.

A picture of my Norfolk Grey hen below:

I only have the hen and hopefully a young cockerel grower who will run with her next year. I have found them fairly hard to rear so they are not a breed for the faint hearted.
Ally_J
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 0 post

Postby power poultry » 25 Aug 2009, 19:47

Still not got 5 to get images on good news is they have both come in to lay there is a image on our website of my son winning best best rare breed in show on our site.

Its in out blog but you can not see the bird that well.

Will make sure I get some time in the morning.

Just to many birds at the moment and work has gone mad to many people getting wed and wanting stuff to wear.
power poultry

Postby power poultry » 08 Sep 2009, 20:31

At last got some images

power poultry

Postby leggybirdfromessex » 06 Oct 2009, 15:51

Going on my list your pictures are of a pied suffolk, not a norfolk grey! Could you post pics of your frizzle as I'm very interested in getting a couple of bantams next year? :?:
leggybirdfromessex

Postby power poultry » 06 Oct 2009, 15:56

No there Norfolk greys for sure she has even won best rare breed at a show dont think I could do that if she is not a Norfolk Grey :lol:

Will get some images of the frizzles at the show this weekend will post some next week.

We have one going to the East of England
power poultry

Postby leggybirdfromessex » 06 Oct 2009, 16:15

My appogies!!!!!!!!! looking forward to seeing the frizzles. I'm just getting started ~ don't even haave the birds yet but hope to get them after Xmas. My sister got some ex bats. and theyb are comming on a treat now. My bigest worry is noise with the next-door neighbours. [-o< #-o
leggybirdfromessex

Postby power poultry » 06 Oct 2009, 17:18

There not to bad on noice as rule the only time hens really kick off is when there laying a egg then they all seem to join in the fun.

Will make sure I send you a couple got a busy next couple of weeks with shows. Then a break thank god till the national.
power poultry

Postby westcork » 12 Oct 2009, 21:07

Can I let these birds free range ? We have no immediate neighbours living in rural west cork. Will the birds return to their house ?
westcork

Postby power poultry » 13 Oct 2009, 12:56

This is what this breed was bred for there a great free range bird and love it mine always put them selfs to bed.

They also make a great meat bird so I have been told.
power poultry

Postby power poultry » 05 Feb 2010, 20:46

This Years Norfolk grey breeding pen I love this bird suck a great all round

power poultry

Postby Marans and Norfolks » 01 Nov 2012, 20:03

Couple of photos this years youngstock, is anyone else keeping and or showing the breed?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marans and Norfolks

Postby Marans and Norfolks » 15 Dec 2013, 09:05

new website aimed at promoting the Norfolk Grey www.norfolkgrey.com
Marans and Norfolks

Return to Breeds