Speckeldy Hens

One thread for each breed. Threads are started by a moderator - add information about each breed, and contact us to add another.

Moderator: Moderators

Priscilla!

Postby ledburylass » 27 Nov 2008, 21:04

Thought you might like to see an update photo of Priscilla!

She and Georgina (Maran Cuivee) are both settling in well! Georgina is laying the most gorgeous very dark brown shelled eggs! I think Priscilla may have layed her first egg today!!!!

This is a picture of both of them!
ledburylass

Liked in: 1 post

Re: Speckeldy Hens

Postby Donna3939 » 09 Jan 2010, 01:25

How many eggs on average do they lay? Is it true that they are quite large for a hybrid and that they're quite greedy?

Donna
Donna3939

Postby Welsh Duck » 18 Jan 2010, 17:51

I have six speckledys. They are really lovely birds. Mine are four years old now but still lay masses of eggs. I don't consider them to be greedy birds as they need the food to make the huge quantity of eggs they produce. During their first year I regularly had an egg a day from each of them.

I've had chickens for 24 years and I must admit that these are some of my favourites as they are so placid. They free range in the day and I just walk them into their shed at night. Which I can't do with any of my other chickens
For all the troubles in the world, I turn to ducks...

Breeder of White & Apricot Call Ducks.
Partridge Wyandotte Bantams
Welsh Duck
Hen
Hen

Postby petchickens » 25 Oct 2010, 21:33

how much do these birds go for? someone said £15 is to much
petchickens

Postby stevendinnage@yahoo.co.uk » 25 Sep 2011, 19:52

i got 1 for £10
i have 3 ex battry hens, 2 L. Sussex ,2 Bluebelle, 1 Speckled, 2 rhode rock and 2 white leghorns, 1 gray Orpingtons. And 2 cockrel a rhode rock and a light sussex cross Rhode rock
my diffrent pet are my golden retriever, two cats, one guinea pig and a lot of fish and my horse
stevendinnage@yahoo.co.uk
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby ChookMad » 28 Sep 2011, 08:20

Alice, my Speckeldy, has been broody 3 times now since I got her in April. She's easy to break each time, she soon gets fed up of the sin bin when she's watching the others playing around her, but is it normal for Speckeldys to be so broody?
ChookMad

Postby adam_fozz » 13 Oct 2011, 11:57

stevendinnage@yahoo.co.uk wrote:i got 1 for £10

My Speckeldy cost £12 but it was at the point of laying and a pretty good sized bird.

Out of the five different breeds I have, 'Stardust' is the most unfriendly. Don't get my wrong, she doesn't attack me or the other hens, but I cant get near her to pick her up even if I need to. Its mean to say shes a bad hen just because of this because, lets face it, running away from other animals is genetically coded for self preservation! In that respect, maybe she is the most intelligent chick!

Heres a pick of her when I got her. She is alot more mature looking now:-

Adam_Fozz
adam_fozz

Postby tweedy » 13 Oct 2011, 13:37

Hybrids are cheaper generally but not so long living. Give her time she will let you pick her up eventually, its always a good idea when you only have a few birds to handle them on a regular basis, mainly so you can check them periodically.
tweedy
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby ChookMad » 03 Nov 2011, 09:14

adam-fozz, she still looks quite young. I have found that all my hens became much more placid once they came into lay and got to know and trust me better. The young ones are always more timid. She'll get tamer with time. My speckeldy is one of the friendliest now but she was very nervous when I first got her.
ChookMad

Postby Welsh Duck » 11 Nov 2011, 20:12

my speckledys are down to three now, they are five or six years old but still lay strong in the summer, wonderful birds,I would recommend them to anyone. Started with six but predation over the years has reduced them.
For all the troubles in the world, I turn to ducks...

Breeder of White & Apricot Call Ducks.
Partridge Wyandotte Bantams
Welsh Duck
Hen
Hen

Postby joelad84 » 18 Jun 2012, 18:06

Hi Everyone, I'm new to the board so apologies if I have missed this information, but I have had 4 Speckledys hatch last night/this morning and I am wondering how I can sex them. Is there an easy way to do this?

Thanks in advance

Joe
joelad84

Postby iwilson » 21 Mar 2013, 20:19

we have just got one,
she seems to have a good nature, but i am sure we will get to know more of her personality soon :)
iwilson

Postby organic chick » 19 Aug 2015, 09:12

Well last time we increased our flock we had one Spekeldy to see what we think of them as a breed. Well, Freckles is a lovely hen, friendly, very approachable and loves to be picked up. Chatters away to me when I am cleaning in the run in a morning. Lays lovely darkish eggs. I think we shall certainly get more of them in the future.
Verdict? :thumbright:
Penny and Freckles - the WArren Girls'
Star and Flopsy (the latter of the floppy comb) both members of the White Star Faction.
Fedora and Florence the Cream Legbars
Emily (see Emily lay) and Erica the Light Sussex babes
1 current husband aka the structural engineer
1 large organic allotment
The Lady Isabella Pickford-Fiennes, a feline of distinction and excellent mouser

2 people like this post.
organic chick
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 124 posts

Previous

Return to Breeds