Cream Legbars

One thread for each breed. Threads are started by a moderator - add information about each breed, and contact us to add another.

Moderator: Moderators

Natchosdad
Chick
Chick

Re: Cream Legbars

Post by Natchosdad » 08 Mar 2013, 19:33

soufle wrote:...Are you getting your birds locally ? I read all the comments on here and other fora including Facebook so was apprehensive about the quality of the birds I might find. They were as I expected .The breeder said they were breed standard ,I believe a few are but the others may leave a lot to be desired.However the eggs are lovely and even the little dark bird who appears to have a dodgy lineage is a delight.
Yes I dropped an email to Sue (Darkbrowneggs) and to my surprise she had some that I could have ... I thought I'd have to hatch them and wait till july or august for eggs so bonus! Yes there is quite a few "Strains" out there some of them look hardly anything like the breed standard at all. I guess the introduction of the cotswold's has had an effect in both demand - more people want blue eggs (like me :D) and supply, some folks will know anything out that looks right ... Human nature I guess.

I've had 'bars before but they were Welbars - lovely looking birds and If I couldn't get what I thought was decent looking Cr Legbars I may well have gone for some Rhodebars - the cockerels look stunning. failing that it would have been Marans I guess but I love my 'bars.

The colour of the shell can be effected by other things apart from breeding - the number they lay for one - higher producers tend to lay paler eggs - well, they do with Marans and Welbars - so I assume CLB's are the same.

Still I can't wait for my first home grown poached egg for breakfast \:D/
Nick
North Warwickshire

soufle
Chick
Chick

Post by soufle » 09 Mar 2013, 15:42

Hi Nick, I had two with my bacon this morning.Lovely. The only down side of very fresh eggs is that if you wantthem hard boiled you can't get the shells off.!!
Those 'bars' all look nice ,I was looking at some pics of brown leghorns too the other day and they are very pretty as well.
The chooks are miserable today, its not stopped raining for nearly 24hrs and now its turning to frozen rain. Ive put lots of straw down again both inside and outside.
Roll on spring.
Barbara

Natchosdad
Chick
Chick

Post by Natchosdad » 10 Mar 2013, 09:37

Well nipped over and picked them up yesterday and they're in my neighbours spare pen at the moment till we (well my son really) get chance to finish ours off ... wonder if they've left me a pressie yet ... :mrgreen:
Nick
North Warwickshire

soufle
Chick
Chick

Post by soufle » 10 Mar 2013, 11:55

haha , you couldnt wait any longer ?
I was quite impressed to get 5 eggs the day after the 'big move' , then a couple of days they went down and have been gradually building up again.
Did you source any brown leghorn eggs ? I see there are some on e bay .One lot looks interesting ...well, tempting . Ive read that they might be a bit flighty ,do you know if they are any more flighty than the CLB s ?
Barbara

soufle
Chick
Chick

Post by soufle » 18 Mar 2013, 12:47

hello, I read somewhere recently that eggs hatched in April should produce pullets which start to lay in Autumn and lay through the winter. I hope I am understanding this correctly.Can anyone comment if this is for hybrids and will work for CLBs too or will they just not lay until spring ?
thanks

Wilt
Pullet
Pullet

Post by Wilt » 18 Mar 2013, 13:28

They will usually have a break in laying during the shortest daylight hour day's unless given artificial light.
Chickens, are also food for the soul!

http://www.coachhousecochins.com

soufle
Chick
Chick

Post by soufle » 18 Mar 2013, 18:40

hello Wilt, thanks for your response. Does artificial light have the same negative impact on health as in humans in the disruption of the circadian rhythm ?
thanks

Wilt
Pullet
Pullet

Post by Wilt » 18 Mar 2013, 19:12

Well if given light 24/7 it probably will effect them detrimentally. I way battery and barn chickens do this is to use timers on the lights to keep the average daylight hours between 12 and 14.

What should be taken into consideration when thinking about keeping them laying, is each hen is imprinted with a certain amount of eggs when she is hatched. When these are layed that is it you have a pet chicken that is layed out.

Battery and barn layer hens are gotten rid of after 12 to 18 months for this reason. Artificial light and heat see's them lay year round nearly daily. So are all but spent after 12-18 months.

I have kepr ex batts and the longest lived was just over 2 years after rescue, but she stopped laying 9-10 months after getting her. So I am talking in general rather than exceptional circumstances.

HTH :)
Chickens, are also food for the soul!

http://www.coachhousecochins.com

soufle
Chick
Chick

Post by soufle » 18 Mar 2013, 22:29

Hello Wilt, yes, I expect it depends on what your goals are and if your egg laying endeavours are commercial or merely a hobby. For me its the latter so I'm thinking that extending daylight wont be the way I go. As you say, they only have the potential for so many eggs .
thanks

Natchosdad
Chick
Chick

Post by Natchosdad » 18 Mar 2013, 22:32

soufle wrote:haha , you couldnt wait any longer ?
I was quite impressed to get 5 eggs the day after the 'big move' , then a couple of days they went down and have been gradually building up again.
Did you source any brown leghorn eggs ? I see there are some on e bay .One lot looks interesting ...well, tempting . Ive read that they might be a bit flighty ,do you know if they are any more flighty than the CLB s ?
Barbara
Hi Barbara,

Sorry for not replying I missed this thread some how. Yes I got some Bantam Brown Leghorn eggs eventually - tried about 4 or 5 folks with no success. They are currently sitting in the incubator so hopefully ... They ones I've seen so far have been about the same as CLB's, which shouldn't be a surprise as they were bred from them in the first place, that said My cockerel (Gregory Peck) is a err whats the word ... feisty, no Psychotic sod! HE actually came in the coop today from outside to attack me :mrgreen: I guess he's only protecting his girls ... he not afraid of green wellies either :cheers: we're going to have to have a serious talking I think ! ](*,)
Nick
North Warwickshire

soufle
Chick
Chick

Post by soufle » 18 Mar 2013, 23:46

Hi Nick, oo I wouldnt want to meet him . The CLB cockerel which I bought with my hens was described as # a bit feisty' but so far has been a gentleman . he gets bit upset if I pick one of the harem up but dosnt really do anything.
I havnt yet bit the bullet about the electric fencing , the pic posted by Wilt has me a bit twitchy. Ive been having bad dreams about escped chickens.Seems its been on hubby's mind too .Today was the day that we were goiing to put skids on the chicken house so we could move it and its run but the welder died so ,its now back to the drawing board. May have to bite the bullet and try the electric fencing . We have some extra long posts and am thinking that we could extend the wire by a strand higher up.

craiggillibrand
Chick
Chick

Post by craiggillibrand » 19 Mar 2013, 00:47

soufle wrote:hello, I read somewhere recently that eggs hatched in April should produce pullets which start to lay in Autumn and lay through the winter. I hope I am understanding this correctly.Can anyone comment if this is for hybrids and will work for CLBs too or will they just not lay until spring ?
thanks
My cream leg bars started laying on the 29th of december and are now doing pretty much an egg a day each
3 lemon millefleur sablepoot, pair serama, 5 pekins, 1 jack russel terrorist, large fish tank, 1 leopard gecko, 2 kids, oh and the wife

Natchosdad
Chick
Chick

Post by Natchosdad » 19 Mar 2013, 09:16

Good luck with the fence Soufle ... it should do the trick, Mine are in a pen with 5ft high wire and a roof as we live on the edge of the village and have got foxes and moggies to contend with. I don't mind fiesty and he's only young (Last years breeding) so think moody teenager with hormones :bounce:

They sound like good layers craiggillibrand - know where to come for outcrosses now :mrgreen: , I had another one of mine start yesterday (It was about pigeon sized :lol: ) so thats 4 out of 4 laying now but they've only been with me just over a week so I'm happy.
Nick
North Warwickshire

Lindsay
Hen
Hen

Post by Lindsay » 19 Mar 2013, 09:24

Natchosdad wrote: My cockerel (Gregory Peck) is a err whats the word ... feisty, no Psychotic sod! HE actually came in the coop today from outside to attack me :mrgreen: I guess he's only protecting his girls ... he not afraid of green wellies either :cheers: we're going to have to have a serious talking I think ! ](*,)
Umm ... you need to be careful with that one. A cock that attacks humans can be a danger to a young child.

soufle
Chick
Chick

Post by soufle » 19 Mar 2013, 11:41

thats pretty good going Craiggillibrand , I hope mine are as good.lNumbers seem to be a bit eratic , 9 being the best day.I think another started laying yesterday as I had one very small one.The biggest Ive had (which was weighed )was 68 gms .
Barbara