Cream Legbars

One thread for each breed. Threads are started by a moderator - add information about each breed, and contact us to add another.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Cream Legbars

Postby soufle » 22 May 2013, 17:09

Hi Wilt, thats interesting as there are several other 'elements' who are advocating lighter breasts in the female and therefore very pale cocks .Since the word 'salmon' ecompasses such a wide variation what do we go for, wild alaskan red ,pink pacific, Scottish farmed ?? :lol: I have some quite pale birds and had thought that these were correcrtly coloured,I also have some with deeper salmon chests .Is it possible since the breed standard didnt include a shade card that a variation is acceptible ?
Also the neck hackles ,I have some which I would presume are 'cream' and I have some that in some lights look cream with a pale gold sheen although nowhere near as 'gold' as some I have seen in the photos. At what point does cream cease to be cream and become gold ?
Also ...you dont get off that easy :) ... Who interprets these standards and how do fads seem to develop and be taken as desired.
Also..... :) if its ok for a female to have a floppy comb and its floppy because of the crest , WHY on earth wasnt it ok for the male to have less than a straight comb . Wouldnt a straight comb mean less of a crest ?
Thats plenty to be going on with ,I dont want to cause burn out :)
soufle
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 70 posts

Postby Natchosdad » 28 May 2013, 11:35

soufle wrote:Hi Wilt, thats interesting as there are several other 'elements' who are advocating lighter breasts in the female and therefore very pale cocks .Since the word 'salmon' ecompasses such a wide variation what do we go for, wild alaskan red ,pink pacific, Scottish farmed ?? :lol: I have some quite pale birds and had thought that these were correcrtly coloured,I also have some with deeper salmon chests .Is it possible since the breed standard didnt include a shade card that a variation is acceptible ?...

I'd got for Scottish every time, little bit of lemon juice and new potatoes :slurp . If you hatched 100 pullets of a pair of birds I'm willing to bet that there would be variations in the breast colour of all of them. so the answer would be all 3 I guess although I'd steer away from any red ones :lol:

soufle wrote:...Also the neck hackles ,I have some which I would presume are 'cream' and I have some that in some lights look cream with a pale gold sheen although nowhere near as 'gold' as some I have seen in the photos. At what point does cream cease to be cream and become gold ?...

When it's undiluted :lol: :lol:

soufle wrote:... Who interprets these standards and how do fads seem to develop and be taken as desired.
Also..... :) if its ok for a female to have a floppy comb and its floppy because of the crest , WHY on earth wasnt it ok for the male to have less than a straight comb . Wouldnt a straight comb mean less of a crest ?
Thats plenty to be going on with ,I dont want to cause burn out :)

In the main, all of us when we look at our birds and make up breeding pens but also Judges at shows but most of them don't judge to the breed standard but what they think it is (what they have back at home) - not meant as a criticism of judges, just the way of the world and happens with Dogs, Canaries, Flowers and any other thing that has an "interpretable" standard ...

I find Tea helps put of burnout :naughty
Nick
North Warwickshire
Natchosdad
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 15 posts

Postby Wilt » 28 May 2013, 12:00

Nothing to disagree with there Nick, good post! From my point of view the hen closest to the camera of soufle's choice picture is just about the right shade of pink/red (pheomelanin) with as little dark blemishes as possible.

Last season I hatched 22 cockerel's and only one has made it through till now. Too many people use the auto sexing nature of this breed to it's detriment. Cockerel's have to hatched and grown on in order to select the best for breeding on. They are also offered out to others without having the chance to see if they are up to standard of being a flock cock. :thumbright:
Chickens, are also food for the soul!

http://www.coachhousecochins.com
Wilt
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 16 posts

Postby soufle » 28 May 2013, 20:27

thanks, Nick and Wilt . That was very helpful . Scottish salmon it is then. :grin:
Nick, I find a nice cup of of tea useful to prevent burnout.Might go and have one now seein as you've mentioned it.

Wilt, how long is it before you know you have a cockerel that comes up to your standards. It must be on looks alone I presume because waiting to see the progeny from 22 cocks would take oooo well, a long time. :o
I suppose a lot of people rely on people like you and buy their breeding cocks in. Will you sell me one ?? O:)
soufle
Chick
Chick

Postby Wilt » 29 May 2013, 08:06

The selection is a gradual process, the first part is to clear out any obvious faults and weakness, bent toe/s, poor leg shape and colour.As they grow there can be obvious bad doers emerging, for all sorts of reasons.

The one remaining from last season does exclude two nice birds that went as part of trio's, but I haven't had any feedback. And to be honest I was looking for the straightest comb possible once all the other areas had been seen as passable or better.

So probably about six months is easily enough, this season I was down to 3 really nice one's, but one decided he was going to be boss over the others then my wife and then me, so he went and then another showed aggressive signs and I won't pass on even the nicest looking bird with a poor attitude. This was the first time in a few seasons I have seen aggression in my CLB's, so a bit of a surprise. :thumbright:

Wilt
Pullet
Pullet

Postby soufle » 29 May 2013, 12:16

thanks Wilt, very informative.
My cock's days are numbered as he too has become aggressive. I walk around carrying a piece of plywood and prop it against my legs when I'm doing jobs. Funny thing is, when I do my weekend mega cleanout I wear a white boiler suit and a face mask.He dosnt come anywhere near me.I wonder if he thinks I'm one hell of a big white ccock.
I wont hatch anymore until next year I dont think but i will be looking to replace him at some point.
Now Ive worked out how to get pics on there'll be no stopping me.I know I should probably resize them but thats a step too far.
Back to the accounts now....deep deep sigh :( .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
soufle
Chick
Chick

Postby soufle » 18 Jun 2013, 19:59

can anyone tell me ,is it usual for the feathers of cream legbars to go paler as the year progresses ? Mine definitely have and I'm just hoping I dont have a problem of any sort.They are and have been laying very well and Ive noticed too that the legs have gone pale.However their combs still look a good red colour.
thanks
soufle
Chick
Chick

Postby Wilt » 19 Jun 2013, 09:18

Whilst in lay and during the season the legs do go paler, there are things like african marigold and micronised peas that will help with leg and yolk colour. Feathers getting paler might mean you have silver in them that expresses itself more with age, a catch and close up picture would be good.

Wilt
Pullet
Pullet

Postby soufle » 19 Jun 2013, 18:59

thanks Wilt, I'll see what I can do. Surely I can catch one of the road runners.
soufle
Chick
Chick

Postby laura15188 » 07 Sep 2013, 15:56

Hi,

We have recently got 2 cream legbars. They are about 14-15 weeks old now.. one of them has a decent crest but the other seems to not want to grow one at all! If you look VERY closely she has a tiny little feather sticking out but if you don't go looking for it, you wouldn't know it's there! The breeder said she would grow one eventually.. I know she isn't fully grown yet, but is it too late now?? And is it fairly normal?

I've attached a photo of her at approx 11 weeks old when we got them, and a recent photo of her next to the other cream legbar with her crest! I hope they will both lay blue eggs!

What do you think?

Thanks,

Laura
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
laura15188

Liked in: 1 post

Postby laffinfowl » 07 Sep 2013, 16:26

If you go back to page seventeen of this thread and have a look at both Wilts birds and some of the birds in the link Henwife posted you,ll see good examples of the breed,this will give you a good idea of how yours are developing,theres a lot of breeders of supposed CL,s putting birds out that are very pale imitations of the actual breed.
laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 197 posts

Postby eggggs » 18 Nov 2013, 17:19

I've found myself without a cream legbar cockerel, anyone happen to have a true cream legbar cock available? anywhere?
eggggs

Liked in: 0 post

Postby kated » 18 Nov 2013, 19:32

My daughter may have one spare she is in Cumbria. PM me if interested.
kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 85 posts

Postby soufle » 21 Nov 2013, 18:43

eggggs wrote:I've found myself without a cream legbar cockerel, anyone happen to have a true cream legbar cock available? anywhere?

Hi eggggs , did you locate a cock ? Where are you ?
I have one , he's quite nice coloured but comb a bit floppy ...sigh. Anyway,I'll be after an unrelated one come spring so let me know if interested.If you scroll back a bit you'll see him in a photo although he had just moulted his tail. in fact ...this is him with a tail !
soufle
Chick
Chick

Postby organic chick » 22 Apr 2014, 18:38

Our new CLB's are settling in well with the rest of the flock and are both laying the most beautiful blue eggs, so thrilled to bits on that score. Question is will they increase in size? Currently 41g. I really cannot remember if our original lot of hybrids started with eggs so small.
Penny and Freckles - the WArren Girls'
Star and Flopsy (the latter of the floppy comb) both members of the White Star Faction.
Fedora and Florence the Cream Legbars
Emily (see Emily lay) and Erica the Light Sussex babes
1 current husband aka the structural engineer
1 large organic allotment
The Lady Isabella Pickford-Fiennes, a feline of distinction and excellent mouser
organic chick
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 125 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Breeds