Old English Game

One thread for each breed. Threads are started by a moderator - add information about each breed, and contact us to add another.

Moderator: Moderators

oliver

Re: Old English Game

Post by oliver » 02 Mar 2009, 14:48

How agressive are OEG? Could I keep an OEG hen with a mixed flock of buff orpingtons, araucanas, welsummers and ex-batts?

harrypannell1

Post by harrypannell1 » 02 Mar 2009, 19:30

oliver wrote:How agressive are OEG? Could I keep an OEG hen with a mixed flock of buff orpingtons, araucanas, welsummers and ex-batts?

North Briton

Post by North Briton » 03 Mar 2009, 16:54

Hi,Guys,....I'm new here..Breed OEG Whitehackles...have done for 30yrs...member and judge of Oxford OEGFclub...keep just a couple of doz. birds...willing to answer questions on game fowl..

LauraMH

Post by LauraMH » 19 Mar 2009, 01:02

I have a pair of OEG Bantams I got last month. They are so cute and yet so stocky! I wasn't aware as to how stocky even the bantams are! They are soooo chunky!

Have to say I am a huge fan of combs on birds and seriously couldn't ever dub for looks. Just how I am, I know it is done, just not in my house tho, but then again, I can't remove dew claws on puppies, I'm just too soft as some would say.

I got them for £15 the pair as the hen had damaged her comb.

Here's a picture of them on the day I got them, will get new pictures tomorrow.

Pyxel
Chick
Chick

Post by Pyxel » 19 Mar 2009, 04:08

Nice birds but I think he'd look better with a hair cut! :lol:

CP

Post by CP » 19 Mar 2009, 09:37

Naahh! He looks more gorgeous with his comb! :grin: I'm with Laura on that one. ;)
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero

LauraMH

Post by LauraMH » 19 Mar 2009, 13:20

Not a chance!!!!!!! He's supper sexy with his comb on lol and he's keeping it lol

I think I'll end up keeping any chicks hatched for fear someone would cut them up lol

Would far rather keep them, eat extra cockerals myself lol

I'm a softie like that. No reason to dub in these times, cock fighting is illegal after all.

CP

Post by CP » 19 Mar 2009, 13:36

Absolutely! :grin:
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero

chickenman28

Re:

Post by chickenman28 » 10 Apr 2009, 23:32

beautiful birds, vandreo - - - looks like they're of the Carisle line? give them a couple of months more to see the better part of them

i'm into poulty, too --- but don't have the area yet . . .

vandreo wrote:Thanks CP i have wormed them & doused them in louse powder, i think they may have worms as they are eating like fury and not producing nice poo! They are slowly getting used to being handled & not as flighty as they was. Have attached a picture as they are just gorgeous birds albeit a bit bedraggled. I have called them Gomez & Morticia lol

Image[/img]

tweedy
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by tweedy » 14 May 2009, 19:49

Ive kept OEG's for years ( bantams ) now and i highly recommend them, they can et very tame and have plenty of character. You get the odd feisty cock for sure. I'm actually looking for new stock, want to try a new colour, i got blacks at the moment. If any of you good people got any for sale or hatching eggs. I'm in wiltshire. cheers tweedy

LauraMH

Post by LauraMH » 17 May 2009, 22:25

My new trio of OEG Bantams.

Male is a gold Duckwing and the 2 hens are Spangled.

tweedy
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by tweedy » 18 May 2009, 10:30

there looking good laura, have you bred from them?

LauraMH

Post by LauraMH » 18 May 2009, 19:37

tweedy wrote:there looking good laura, have you bred from them?

I have a couple of eggs incubating at the moment from them. Will be keeping the chicks myself and have a cock booked for a friend who just fell in love with them.

chickens rock your sox

Post by chickens rock your sox » 24 May 2009, 21:47

my english game have yet to lay an egg this year, is this particular to the breed or is it not normal.I know a few people that have them and all their hens are laying every day. I used to have 3 hens and a cock but now I only have two hens and A borrowed cock. I'm eager to hatch eggs from them to get the cock back to his owner as soon as possible because he has won a lot of shows and I'm afraid of something happening to him

harrypannell1

Post by harrypannell1 » 24 May 2009, 21:49

chickens rock your sox wrote:my english game have yet to lay an egg this year, is this particular to the breed or is it not normal.I know a few people that have them and all their hens are laying every day. I used to have 3 hens and a cock but now I only have two hens and A borrowed cock. I'm eager to hatch eggs from them to get the cock back to his owner as soon as possible because he has won a lot of shows and I'm afraid of something happening to him

may be the housing ?