Old English Game

One thread for each breed. Threads are started by a moderator - add information about each breed, and contact us to add another.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Old English Game

Postby Cordally Chicks » 06 Nov 2010, 21:23

bless, obviously a good long living strain and a lot of tlc in Arthurs family!
Cordally Chicks

Liked in: 1 post

Postby tweedy » 06 Nov 2010, 22:22

Most of the hens are gypsy faced too. Your welcome to some eggs come spring.
tweedy
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby Cordally Chicks » 07 Nov 2010, 08:42

Excellent thankyou! looking forward to spring already! Lovely morning here :roll: we just had a hail storm, clever birds stayed inside daft keeper caught out in it!
Cordally Chicks

Postby tweedy » 07 Nov 2010, 09:20

There are still breeders of blacks about. Raining here but still mild.
tweedy
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Postby Cordally Chicks » 07 Nov 2010, 09:55

Apart from the blacks I went to see locally, not seen any. Most popular colour I have seen is the furness and red blacks. Going to try and get to the nationals at least for one day so can have a good look at the different colours. Would like to have a go at showing but never dubbed and would need to convince the birds vet to do it for me. :oops:
Cordally Chicks

Postby tweedy » 07 Nov 2010, 10:16

You dont have to dubb to show oeg although many still do. A good quality black is great to see.
tweedy
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Postby Cordally Chicks » 07 Nov 2010, 13:12

Really no dub, I joined the county club and on my trip to the first meeting Oeg's were being discussed, I asked the question can oeg be shown undubbed... I was given a lecture on the reason why they are dubbed and had I ever seen a comb with frostbite? never got the answer but frostbite goes for all combed birds ... People automatically assumed I objected, I do not, just never kept Oeg's and never dubbed before and haven't the faintest how to do it, so easy option for me is don't do it! All my mature cockerals are split up in covered pens and boards up so hopefully they won't get into the situation of fighting. I do like their combs and wattles, they are fine and red and complement their feathering, but I do like the dubbed bird they look keen and more athletic looking. If I had given the question some thought before speaking I should have asked , 'Does anyone know where I can get the birds I wish to show dubbed!' 8-[
Cordally Chicks

Postby CP » 07 Nov 2010, 13:14

Dubbing is unecessary & a cruel practice just as tail docking is in the dog world. Just my opinion. :roll:
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero
CP

Liked in: 167 posts

Postby Cordally Chicks » 07 Nov 2010, 13:41

I haven't seen an undubbed game cock at a show, wonder if anyone has had any success showing an undubbed bird?
Not wishing to offend any one who does dub as I am a newcomer to the breed just trying to understand what is needed to be done and if it is necessary as I haven't a clue except what I see and read in books, and as the standard doesn't mention that the bird must be dubbed it is confusing for the novice keeper of this breed.
Cordally Chicks

Postby tweedy » 07 Nov 2010, 13:56

Undubbed game birds tend not to do well in shows but it all depends on the judge on the day. As far as the law is concerned its an arse because you can legally dub chicks under 3 days i think dont quote me, dont know about you but ive never seen a newly hatched chick with a comb so basically its banned. I dont bother to do mine anymore but its a personal choice. For people who dont keep gamefowl its very hard to comprehend why dubbing is done at all but basically its just tradition now, that dates back to the cock fighting era.
tweedy
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Postby CP » 07 Nov 2010, 14:17

basically its just tradition now, that dates back to the cock fighting era

Exactly...outdated & unecessary. They outlawed tail docking for horses years ago & dogs can only be done, I believe, by a vet if you can find one who will do it. (I may be wrong on that one. :-k )
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero
CP

Postby tweedy » 07 Nov 2010, 15:09

Were all entitled to our opinion cp but you'll find thousands around the country that think differently. I dont dub mine as i dont show so i see no need but until someone can prove it causes harm to the bird it will probably continue amongst many breeders, having said that i do believe it is slowly dying out. As for tail docking i think you have to prove the dogs will be used for working before a vet will do it.
tweedy
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Postby CP » 07 Nov 2010, 15:51

No doubt tweedy. It takes years for these things to become the norm but hopefully it will happen eventually. [-o<
Happy in Hampshire!

CP

Postby Cordally Chicks » 07 Nov 2010, 16:51

Before I do show my oeg's have to get up to the standard with or without comb . Interesting though, the standard says single, small, upright and thin and earlobes and wattles fine, small and thin. Got the single upright and thin bit, but they not got small combs (more like upright leghorns :lol: )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cordally Chicks

Postby tweedy » 07 Nov 2010, 18:56

Thats one big comb alright :lol:
tweedy
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

PreviousNext

Return to Breeds