Old English Game

One thread for each breed. Threads are started by a moderator - add information about each breed, and contact us to add another.

Moderator: Moderators

stephen
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Old English Game

Post by stephen » 30 Sep 2005, 17:28

This thread is for Old English Game
Stephen

Ash

old english game

Post by Ash » 30 Sep 2005, 19:55

thanks for the new section for old English game ,if any one out there has any old English game i'd be interested in talking to them as i am just starting to breed a few standard oeg's for my self.look forward too hearing from you all!

Attila The Hen

Re: old english game

Post by Attila The Hen » 03 Oct 2005, 12:38

Ash wrote:thanks for the new section for old English game ,if any one out there has any old English game i'd be interested in talking to them as i am just starting to breed a few standard oeg's for my self.look forward too hearing from you all!

Hi Ash,

I have Wheaten OEG birds; they are extremely feisty hens, and dominate the rest of my flocks. Noticeably 'wilder' than the other breeds, and have a tendency to make secret nests in the undergrowth when they go broody, which none of my other breeds do.

Very long-lived, and productive egg-wise into old age; or at least, mine are. Not sure if this is a breed characteristic.

Cheers,

Attila

Bernie

Old English Male

Post by Bernie » 19 Oct 2005, 19:03

Is there anybody out there in Lincs England who has an Old English Game Male i could buy please. I have 4 Females and would like to breed them and go into showing. I have joined the old english game club and left messages there so hoping the more i post the more response i may get.
thanks in advance
bernie
:D

Ashley

Post by Ashley » 26 Oct 2005, 22:42

Hiya Ash ,
I keep OEG , i have 6 hens and 1 cock bird , i havent as of yet bred from them as i got them later in the season .

Ashley

bullet

OEG'S

Post by bullet » 20 Dec 2005, 20:36

hi I'm new to keeping chicken we have four bantams at the moment but i will be getting some wheaten or some red blacks if that's right. after going to a place to have a look at some he had loads of oeg's from wheaten, bronze backs, duck wings and red blacks all i think had been from prize wining birds. there must of been about 100 different types there in clueding wyanedotts I'll be spending my wages there soon :lol: i think the place was called pf poultry. cheers bullet

fenwoman

Post by fenwoman » 21 Dec 2005, 14:00

I keep oeg bantams. I have red pyle, partridge and splash. Contrary to what others have said I find them to be friendly little birds. One of my cockerels happily runs around the bantam paddock and takes no notice of the little belgian/dutch cockerel who lives loose.
This year I sold several as pets for children and have had reports of one of the children even being found asleep on the sofa with the little game cock alseep beside her.
I love my little oeg and considering I have always said I never wanted game birds, I am now well and truly hooked on them and my modern games.

fenwoman

Post by fenwoman » 12 May 2006, 22:13

Here we are, a photo of my lovely little old English game bantam rumpless.

traditionalbritishfowlco

Post by traditionalbritishfowlco » 29 May 2006, 20:01

my mum got a couple of these and at first I was a bit iffy about them, their shape was a bit weird to me so i wasn't all that impressed. As soon as they were out of the ark and into a run however i saw them in a completely new light! They really came out of their shells and the cockerel looked amazing strutting about! They are really friendly things too so I've hatched a couple myself! (there'll be weekly pics and weights on my site soon) I'm a total convert. Mum's hens seem to be productive too as a bonus! yay OEG....

Clucky

Post by Clucky » 18 Mar 2007, 15:38

Question: what is the difference between the Carlisle and the Oxford :D

traditionalbritishfowlco

Post by traditionalbritishfowlco » 18 Mar 2007, 16:53

well as far as i understand it the oxford retains the traditional fighting type and the carlisle is a more stylised show-only type - its a lot stockier and squatter and the tail isnt as full :)

buster07

old english game bantam

Post by buster07 » 15 Jan 2008, 19:10

Hi is there any one that could help me. I live in south east london and have 2 oeg bantam hens that i hatched 4 months ago, so i am in need of an oeg bantam cockerel. Please email me if you live close by and have one for sale.

bevsmith20

Post by bevsmith20 » 05 Mar 2008, 22:53

Hi i,m new to this site,does anyone in the derby/notts area have any oe min game blue pullets or hens for sale,

vandreo

Old English Game

Post by vandreo » 15 Mar 2008, 16:36

I have just aquired (this morning) a oeg cockrel & hen, they look to me like they have not been looked after too well (combs dry & pale pink, ripped feathers, old scars & diahorrea) i got them at a poultry auction for £5 for the pair as i felt sorry for them. The hen in particular is very flighty and nervous but after we managed to catch she enjoyed the cuddle! They are both eating & drinking like they have never seen food before too.

Does anyone have any advice for me on how to get these gorgeous birds back in good condition??

CP

Post by CP » 15 Mar 2008, 19:38

I would worm them first, then treat with lice/mite powder just to be on the safe side. Keep separated from your other birds if you have any. :wink:

Feed normal layers pellets which contain all the nutrients etc. that they need.

Put ACV (apple cider vinegar) in their water at 2% for 1 week in 4. Use plastic containers not galvanised.

See how they are after a few days & see if they're improving or not.

Well done for rescuing them but be prepared for them to take a while to return to good condition.

Good luck. :wink: