Silkies

One thread for each breed. Threads are started by a moderator - add information about each breed, and contact us to add another.

Moderator: Moderators

flipafeet

Re: Silkies

Post by flipafeet » 31 Jan 2011, 22:30

hi, just wondering do any of you sell silkies or do you know where in norfolk i could get one reasonably priced? I just don't seem t be able to find any! thanks

em76
Chick
Chick

Post by em76 » 01 Feb 2011, 15:00

I got myself 3 silkies on Sunday. 1 red girl who is a yr and a half and 2 White point of lay. The 2 whites are about 4 and a half months old. I have been letting them settle in before I start poking at them lol. One is smaller than the other and had a bit less hair particularly around the head but she might be a week or two younger. Chap said they are definitely hens and offered to get me a cockerel too if wanted but I live in a residential area so that's a no no.
I know they are extremely hard to sex and will worry til both lay which he said will be on 3 or 4 weeks!
If I manage to get some pics up tomorrow would you y guys give your opinions on sex?
Neither seem to have streamers that people talk about males having. One has a round crest and the smaller one not so round yet.
owned by 2 Aracauna's, 1 RIR, 2 Welsummers, 3 Silkies, 9 cats and 1 dog!

petchickens

Post by petchickens » 01 Feb 2011, 15:10

boys have more of dreds ,spikey hair and girls pompom ,afro type

the males also have purple,black waffles and a rose comb if there as old as you say then you should know whos a hen and whos a cockerel

laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Post by laffinfowl » 01 Feb 2011, 15:24

Dreds,waffles :scratch: Are we talking chickens here :?

petchickens

Post by petchickens » 01 Feb 2011, 15:37

lool i mispelt it i ment mini dreds and wattles

laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Post by laffinfowl » 01 Feb 2011, 16:15

Mini Dreds,new Rasta Silkies :scratch:

petchickens

Post by petchickens » 01 Feb 2011, 18:13

hahaha nah man ..i think silkie cockerels look like they have little dreds and the pullets afros :lol:

em76
Chick
Chick

Post by em76 » 02 Feb 2011, 22:48

I have posted up a few pics in the general misc section. If anyone could let me know if they think both are girls that would be great!

millibud
Chick
Chick

Post by millibud » 04 Feb 2011, 10:34

hi.. my friend has silkies for sale pairs and trios and hens for sale.....
colours as below she is Dersingham or I can bring them to me I'm near Fakenham
8mth old
2 black hens
1 lavender hen
1 white hen
1 lightpartridge x gold hen
4mth old
2 lavender hens
1 grey and tan hen
2 black and tan pairs
think that correct colours!
please contact me on mandiemv@yahoo.co.uk....then I can pass details on.
Mandie
Love my Brahmas,buff orps,silkies,light sussex,rhode island, cuckoo marans,pekins,polish and ex bats...collie,husky and of course OH! ;-)

millibud
Chick
Chick

Post by millibud » 04 Feb 2011, 10:40

flipafeet,

Also dark partridge boy and black hen about 16mths old...forgot to add them!!!
Love my Brahmas,buff orps,silkies,light sussex,rhode island, cuckoo marans,pekins,polish and ex bats...collie,husky and of course OH! ;-)

Tia Maria
Pullet
Pullet

Post by Tia Maria » 04 Feb 2011, 15:16

milibud

They sound lovely but you are at least 4 1/2 hours drive away from me - I drove to Boston Lincolnshire for our latest puppy (2 years old now0 but it was a very long way to drive there and back in one day!!

Too far i'm afraid :( I don't mind an hour/hour and a half maybe. Anyone nearer that that with Silkies for sale?
I live near Bath, Bristol, Salisbury, Swindon ish
A mixed LF flock of 2 Lavender Araucanas, 3 Barnevelders (1 double laced and 2 blue), 1 Blackrock, 3 Cuckoo Marans, 1, 1 White Star, 2 Silver Campine, 1 Blue Marans, 1 Black Copper Marans & 1 Marans x Araucana (lays green eggs).

And 4 dogs, 4 ferrets and 1 Harris Hawk

shella

Post by shella » 04 Feb 2011, 16:45

Tia Maria wrote:milibud

They sound lovely but you are at least 4 1/2 hours drive away from me - I drove to Boston Lincolnshire for our latest puppy (2 years old now0 but it was a very long way to drive there and back in one day!!

Too far i'm afraid :( I don't mind an hour/hour and a half maybe. Anyone nearer that that with Silkies for sale?
I live near Bath, Bristol, Salisbury, Swindon ish

i live in bath and have 3 silkies and i can get eggs. i got my eggs from ebay with 5/6 hatch rate. so if you cant get chicks i will be happy to incubate some for you. i start incubating on the 13th of feb

Tia Maria
Pullet
Pullet

Post by Tia Maria » 07 Feb 2011, 12:51

mmmmm........ Tempting

I don't have the facilities to bring up youngsters at the mo' so wouldn't be able to buy any from you until theu were a decent size and would (of course) prefer females - i know silkies are hard to sex
A mixed LF flock of 2 Lavender Araucanas, 3 Barnevelders (1 double laced and 2 blue), 1 Blackrock, 3 Cuckoo Marans, 1, 1 White Star, 2 Silver Campine, 1 Blue Marans, 1 Black Copper Marans & 1 Marans x Araucana (lays green eggs).

Tia Maria
Pullet
Pullet

Post by Tia Maria » 07 Mar 2011, 15:31

Yay!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
Thanks to Tweedy I have a Silkie - a little gold girl - very sweet, she and her Cochin cross companion almost, ever so almost, ate out of my hand - and I only got them on Saturday

I am VERY happy :P

em76
Chick
Chick

Post by em76 » 07 Mar 2011, 23:13

Yay! Congrats! :grin: