Silkies

One thread for each breed. Threads are started by a moderator - add information about each breed, and contact us to add another.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Silkies

Postby em76 » 19 Jul 2011, 21:19

Mini started laying again about a week after her first broody spell.
owned by 2 Aracauna's, 1 RIR, 2 Welsummers, 3 Silkies, 9 cats and 1 dog!
em76
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Taboo71 » 03 Aug 2011, 17:05

Are these true silkies? I bought them as day old chicks with the hen, they are now 18 weeks old and some seem really large, also I noticed a couple only have four toes :( , aren't they supposed to have five?

Also does anyone know what colour the "chick" in the 2nd photo is? It's white x gold/red, thanks in advance
Taboo71

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Woodburner » 06 Aug 2011, 12:06

Lorna wrote:My silkie went broody so we gave her fertile eggs of which 2 hatched, she started laying again 6 weeks after the chicks hatched but went broody again after only 3 weeks of laying. She still has her chicks with her.
Lorna

That's pretty typical of silkies.

Taboo, they look ok to me, a bit leggy perhaps, but cockerels do seem to stand a bit higher than the hens. Four toes is not right although the back two can be a bit variable. e.g. V or Y shaped sometimes to the point of being one toe almost right to the end with just the tips with the nails being separate. I don't know at what point it would count as a 'fault'.
Woodburner

Postby JuliaPeacock » 15 Aug 2011, 11:14

I want to buy some Silkies for my new coup. Anyone in the High Peak area have any to sell? Hens only.
I would love to hear from you,

Julia
JuliaPeacock

Postby NewClucker » 26 Aug 2011, 13:55

Hi everyone, can anyone sex my silkie cross please. He/She is 12 weeks old

http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j32 ... 090300.jpg

http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j32 ... 090306.jpg

Many Thanks
Lee :help:
NewClucker
Chick
Chick

Postby kated » 26 Aug 2011, 14:50

By stance and headgear probably male - but notoriously difficult to sex.
kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 82 posts

Postby NewClucker » 26 Aug 2011, 15:01

Hi, Theres difference of opinion on this one lol.! Others are saying female as there is no sign of wattles.!

Ive heard that silkies are one of the hardest to sex.

Many Thanks
Lee
NewClucker
Chick
Chick

Postby M00R3Y » 28 Aug 2011, 15:31

Hi everyone,

I have 4 18 week old black silkies, but I cant decide if their boys or girls.

I thought 3 of them were girls as they had nice rounded powder puff crests on their heads, and one a boy as it had quite a swept back crest,
but since then the 3 that i thought were girls have gained quite loose wattles and the guy hasnt gained any at all.

none of them crow yet, but someone has started to lay.

the three with the pompom crests squat down as they do when a cockerel treads when you go to stroke them on their backs, but the other one doesnt.

can any shed some light as to whether their boys or girls?

Thanks
Tom
M00R3Y

Postby Tia Maria » 03 Oct 2011, 10:41

I have 2 little white Silkies (at last) to go in with my gold Silkie that Tweedy gave me :grin: :grin: I am so pleased

I am also getting a Frizzle Cockerel (he's only 6 weeks at the moment) that will go in with them =D> =D>
A mixed LF flock of 2 Lavender Araucanas, 3 Barnevelders (1 double laced and 2 blue), 1 Blackrock, 3 Cuckoo Marans, 1, 1 White Star, 2 Silver Campine, 1 Blue Marans, 1 Black Copper Marans & 1 Marans x Araucana (lays green eggs).

And 4 dogs, 4 ferrets and 1 Harris Hawk
Tia Maria
Pullet
Pullet

Postby Captain Carrot » 19 Mar 2012, 08:52

Hi all.

My silkies are coming up to 11 weeks old. I'm trying to sex them but there isn't much to go on.

Some of them are developing fuller tail feathers, can I assume that these could be cocks? they've all got roughly the same sized wattles and combs. I may have to upload some pics.
Altsteirer, Bielefelders, Welsummer bantams, Silkies and Muscovy ducks (sold a load of them :) )
Captain Carrot
Pullet
Pullet

Postby Gilly C » 19 Mar 2012, 09:52

even though I have kept them for 12 years I am still hopeless at sexing but then usually only do 1 hatch a year sometimes 2 and under a broody so not many and I have got it wrong so many times, the breeder I used in UK gave up with them as not cost effective, also the meat does not appeal to me I have been told it tastes good but blue skin and black bones is enough to put me off ! here I can buy them at the garden centre quite pricey but takingin feed costs and waiting 6 months for eggs maybe more maybe near enough the same ;)
Gilly C
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 8 posts

Postby jonewchick » 19 Mar 2012, 13:12

Captain Carrot wrote:Hi all.

My silkies are coming up to 11 weeks old. I'm trying to sex them but there isn't much to go on.

Some of them are developing fuller tail feathers, can I assume that these could be cocks? they've all got roughly the same sized wattles and combs. I may have to upload some pics.

Looking at your pics in other post you have some potential cockerels there, you can try to look for longer single feathers coming out of their crest. If you put more close up pics I'll try to guess - I like doing it especially with silkies! :lol:
jonewchick

Postby Captain Carrot » 19 Mar 2012, 22:35

jonewchick wrote:
Captain Carrot wrote:Hi all.

Looking at your pics in other post you have some potential cockerels there, you can try to look for longer single feathers coming out of their crest. If you put more close up pics I'll try to guess - I like doing it especially with silkies! :lol:

from my point of view I have 4 cocks and 3 pullets. There may be a prize for most right gueses.
Altsteirer, Bielefelders, Welsummer bantams, Silkies and Muscovy ducks (sold a load of them :) )
Captain Carrot
Pullet
Pullet

Large Standard Silkie Hatching Eggs Needed

Postby AChickChick » 07 Apr 2012, 17:59

I'm looking for hatching eggs from LARGE Standard size bearded Silkies (preferably buff or golden color). Would anyone be willing to sell me some? The size of the Silkie is key; I''m specifically looking for the larger size Silkies. Thanks, all! :)
AChickChick

Postby airyfairy » 06 Jun 2012, 20:50

Hi, does anyone know of a Breeder / for sale Silkies in the Buckinghamshire / Bedfordshire area. I lost my cockerel and 1 silky hen to old age :( and am looking to get some more. Just can't find anyone who sells them. Thank you very much.
Sauce (Rhode Island Red) - Pickle (Golden Silkie) - Basil (cockerel), Snowdrop and Daisy (White Silkies), plus Lucy Locket (JR Terrier), Louis Feruke (cat), Melody (American Quarter Horse) and Pye (Gypsy Cob pony)
airyfairy
Chick
Chick

PreviousNext

Return to Breeds