Brahmas

One thread for each breed. Threads are started by a moderator - add information about each breed, and contact us to add another.

Moderator: Moderators

Lindsay
Hen
Hen

Re: Brahmas

Post by Lindsay » 10 Nov 2010, 00:59

goatlady wrote:
You do realise that this is the slippery slope, don't you? Once you've got one Brahma, you just have to keep on getting more. :grin:
Look - I've just spent the last few days telling myself that I have enough hens!! But I just know I'm not going to be able to resist ... :lol:

Never have I known a hen that anyone can walk up to and pick up. And who seems to enjoy it. She doesn't quite snuggle, but she's not far off. I am surprised though at how light she is for her size. I have a young Limousine close to her in age, but a little bigger, and she is a solid lump.

goatlady
Pullet
Pullet

Post by goatlady » 10 Nov 2010, 07:19

You can justify to yourself getting more Brahmas as follows: since they are very poor layers, you will need plenty of them to provide enough eggs! :lol:
The other justification, of course, is that they look so lovely.

Chris Kurzfeld
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by Chris Kurzfeld » 10 Nov 2010, 11:03

Bred some late this year for someone who wanted some - got 2 pullets and 2 cockerels - now they don't want them! So the girls will be added to my flock - can never have enough of these beauties :grin: . The big blue cockerel is going the freezer I'm afraid and his blue mate will also go in the flock - no-one wants them so I have no choice :(
Chris

love me, love my 4 dogs, 3 cats, over 100 chickens (but don't tell OH) and 7 sheep - oops, almost forgot the 2 tanks of fish!

I live in my own little world but it's ok - they know me here!

goatlady
Pullet
Pullet

Post by goatlady » 10 Nov 2010, 11:10

That's disgraceful! (People going back on their word, I mean, not the fact that you will have to eat some of the boys - that's a sad inevitability when you hatch your own.)

petchickens

Post by petchickens » 15 Nov 2010, 22:06

goatlady wrote:That's disgraceful! (People going back on their word, I mean, not the fact that you will have to eat some of the boys - that's a sad inevitability when you hatch your own.)
i know its disgraceful that some one could do that :-''' ...ohh wait ill have them by saturday :grin: the other people lost out on these pair and iv gained 2 beautiful brahmas

Wilt
Pullet
Pullet

Post by Wilt » 16 Nov 2010, 09:43

Beautiful???? They've got heads like Klingons!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: [-X :thumbright:
Chickens, are also food for the soul!

http://www.coachhousecochins.com

petchickens

Post by petchickens » 16 Nov 2010, 13:38

Wilt wrote:Beautiful???? They've got heads like Klingons!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: [-X :thumbright:
hahah i think there very nice looking am i right in saying the cochin is just a bigger pekin :scratch: nice birds tho

Wilt
Pullet
Pullet

Post by Wilt » 16 Nov 2010, 17:41

petchickens wrote:
Wilt wrote:Beautiful???? They've got heads like Klingons!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: [-X :thumbright:
hahah i think there very nice looking am i right in saying the cochin is just a bigger pekin :scratch: nice birds tho
:lol: :lol: :P ;) Or the other way round! But don't tell the Pekin lobby! They say they are true bantams so have no large fowl equivalent. And pigs might fly I would say.

Don't get me wrong I kept Brahmas in 5 colours for probably 7 years or so, I just found the cochin better looking and better temperament, and layed more eggs. Here are the darks I had.

petchickens

Post by petchickens » 16 Nov 2010, 19:47

nice brahmas ...dont you think tho the colours and build of the brahma cockerels are alot better then the cochin

and is crossing the brahma x cochin a commen thing ?

Wilt
Pullet
Pullet

Post by Wilt » 17 Nov 2010, 09:12

petchickens wrote:nice brahmas ...dont you think tho the colours and build of the brahma cockerels are alot better then the cochin

and is crossing the brahma x cochin a commen thing ?
It's all down to personal taste, and it would be terrible if there were only one type of chicken that we all kept. But no I don't think the build of the Brahma is superior to that of the Cochin. However I do like this silver partridge that Brahma people call dark, but find the Colombian that Brahma people call light (Why don't they call them by their proper names instead of causing confusion) quite boring. I am a few years into creating a silver partridge Cochin, I will get some pictures of the cockerels.

To my eye this has better stature and presence.
Than this. But it takes all-sorts (Bassets are best) All I am saying is, having kept both for some years, I now keep Cochins of many colours.

I don't want to appear blinkered, and to show this I have been helping with the production of a new Brahma colour, like this
You can see more on here; http://www.thepoultrygarden.com/phpbb/v ... 15&t=11552

pepsi
Chick
Chick

Post by pepsi » 17 Nov 2010, 09:32

:salute: :love4: :love4:
Large Fowl Brahmas in gold, dark, blue, black, splash, lemon pyle, Blue Partridge, buff columbian, blue buff columbian and white.
Bantam brahmas in gold, lemon and isabellas
and our bantam silkies

http://www.oakwoodbrahmas.com

Wilt
Pullet
Pullet

Post by Wilt » 17 Nov 2010, 10:41

pepsi wrote::salute: :love4: :love4:

Sadly (for me) The prototype brahma is looking better in these early stages than the prototype cochin. :crybaby: :crybaby:

petchickens

Post by petchickens » 17 Nov 2010, 11:06

they are very nice wilt very nice indeed and i think the 'dark' brahmas look amazing so do the blues and buff i dont like the light sussex colours ..dont know why but there colour like you said 'boring' ....why is blue x gold so wrong in breeding ?? people always say its a nono :scratch:

petchickens

Post by petchickens » 17 Nov 2010, 11:17

:P :P silver laced and gold laced =P~ =P~

Wilt
Pullet
Pullet

Post by Wilt » 17 Nov 2010, 12:06

They are okay with the Pattern gene in sufficient copy's to organise the colours away from each other. Otherwise they can become irregular patched birds. In general terms blue is best on the E allele (Black) and Gold colours like buff are on eWh (wheaten) Though the E is dominant to the eWh the eWh will still seep through on a self coloured black or blue bird ruining it for show purposes.

Like laced wyandotte's have both and look fantastic, but Pg pattern gene organises the way the colours appear on each (most) feather(s)