Bluebelle Hybrid

One thread for each breed. Threads are started by a moderator - add information about each breed, and contact us to add another.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Bluebelle Hybrid

Postby Phill » 02 Dec 2009, 13:08

My bluebeles

Phill

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Jules348 » 05 Apr 2010, 12:58

Hi,

My Blue Belles arrived yesterday "Dilly and Dolly", was originally going to go for Light Sussex, as I am a beginner.

But when I went to the breeders to take a look I just couldn't resist these girls :grin: . They have been roosting all day today, maybe as it is quite wet and windy, is this usual :?:

They are only 19 weeks old, and thought this maybe as they are not quite ready to lay yet :-k .

Many Thanks

Jules
Jules348

Postby leggybirdfromessex » 05 Apr 2010, 13:17

I'v got one two, although I was told it was a freench grey by the lady who sold her to me! Strangley enough I call her Bluebell :) . She has a fantastic temp. deffinetley the top hen. She is always the 1st out in the mornings and 1st at the back door trying to come in. Think sh started laying about 1 wk after we had her. Lovely mid brown.
leggybirdfromessex

Postby tweedy » 05 Apr 2010, 13:17

Wet and windy yes :lol: seriously though they will need a few days to settle.
tweedy
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby Isotope » 05 Apr 2010, 14:28

Give them a few days to settle in, they'll take a short time to get used to their new surroundings but will be acting like they own the place soon enough :) Hard to say how long you'll have to wait till you get eggs, but don't be surprised if it's in the region of a few weeks.

I've got a bluebelle, I think they're beautiful birds.
Isotope

Postby Jules348 » 05 Apr 2010, 14:37

Thanks everyone,

"Will suck it and see" as they say, but only 10 minutes ago they were pecking around in their run.

They are really red around their faces, even more so then when I tucked them in last night.

So, I really don't know what they will be up to next. ;)

Jules
Jules348

Postby Phill » 12 Apr 2010, 09:34

Mine remaining bluebele is completely nuts! well and truely barking hates strangers and runs away when you approach but loves food and its the only time she will come up to me o.0

had lots of problems with my bluebels sadly lost one yesterday >.>

they lay the biggest eggs out of all my hens lovely dark brown with speckles.

my remaining hen is a bit sad now she was pinning for her lost companion this morning.

anywho a red faced hen is a very happy hen indeed!
Phill

Postby Jules348 » 26 Apr 2010, 09:14

Hi Everyone,

First egg layed yesterday =D> , shell very soft, but told not to worry new starters are usually that way, good size though for the first one.

Sure I will be over ridden with eggs for my baking soon :grin: .

Over the last couple of weeks, I have taken to picking them up (getting them used to being handled), and they are so placid, so pleased I bought these girls. They are not afraid of a few cuddles at all.

Jules
Jules348

Postby trikelady » 12 May 2010, 15:58

As i said I'm new to Chicken keeping and i have brought some of these eggs !!!!!! any idea what i might hatch. The cock looks like a Dorking x to my unskilled eye. Or have they developed a Bluebell bred ?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWNX:IT
trikelady

Postby Funny Farm » 08 Jun 2010, 13:55

I have one bluebelle who is 22 weeks old and she has laid her first egg today :grin:
She is huge and I was expecting a normal to large size egg but its slightly smaller than my sussex bantam egg,is this size normal or will they get bigger.
Funny Farm

Postby Jules348 » 08 Jun 2010, 18:54

Hi, :grin:

Believe me they do get bigger, my two are about 27 weeks now, they laid very small eggs to begin with, but my one "Dilly" laid about 5 double yolkers in one week, not sure whether this is normal, but they have definitely got bigger since their first lay.

Have faith [-o< , I believe they will get bigger.

Jules
Jules348

Postby benboy » 18 Jun 2010, 23:10

My Bluebell has lots of russet red on her neck. She is stunning, however, she is not very friendly and is very bossy. Definitely top of pecking order. She bullies one of my Barnevelders. I expect the red comes from Rhode Island Red? I was told they are a RIR X Maran. Is this correct?
benboy

Postby Jules348 » 19 Jun 2010, 07:59

Hi,

Blimey she is rather red isn't she, yes they are usually Rhode Island Reds x Cuckoo Maran, so I have been told. I have two but they are much Bluer than that. Must be the Rhode Island Red Gene, LOL
Jules348

Postby benboy » 19 Jun 2010, 18:09

Yes Jules its to match her firey nature. I think she is very handsome though. The rest of her body is grey/blue/brown. The others in the pen where i got her from had darker heads.

I thought that a RIR X Cuckoo Maran gave a Speckledy. ??
benboy

Postby benboy » 29 Jul 2010, 00:12

benboy

PreviousNext

Return to Breeds