Orpington

One thread for each breed. Threads are started by a moderator - add information about each breed, and contact us to add another.

Moderator: Moderators

storminstaffs

Re: Orpington

Post by storminstaffs » 17 Dec 2010, 20:09

we've tried before and failed

efwellywoman
Chick
Chick

Post by efwellywoman » 17 Dec 2010, 20:18

Not easy the first time, (I couldn't do it until I'd got a decent airgun and was able to be sure that I could do it quickly and with minimal stress .....to both the bird & me!)
Hope you can find good homes for them - do you have an active freecycle network where you are? People often seem to find homes for spare birds that way round here.
Welsummers, Vorwerks, Orpingtons in (taking a deep breath....)black-buff-buff columbian-crele -partridge & red, two totally indolent equines, two occasionally useful(ish) German Shepherds, one non feral feral cat (who is NOT going to live indoors however pitifully he might sit with his nose pressed against the window - OK I've lost, he's got his own cushion now....) and a partridge in a pear tree.....nope, that's just the Vorwerks tree climbing again...oh, and not forgetting the O(ld man of the)H(ils) and the Offsprung.

storminstaffs

Post by storminstaffs » 19 Dec 2010, 20:05

Normally use adtrader or preloved

Birdxman
Chick
Chick

Post by Birdxman » 16 Feb 2011, 20:00

Hen-Gen wrote:Yes, Birdxman, in Orps Lemon Cuckoo is buff with the barring gene added. The males always look more dramatic than the females because the barring gene is sex linked which means hens can only have one copy of the gene whereas cockerels can have two. And it has a sort of additive effect.
If you cross a Lemon Cuckoo ♂ to Buff ♀'s this will give you more Lemon Cuckoos. This mating also helps to eradicate/reduce the grey cuckoo tail feathers that one often sees in LCs.
Hen-Gen
Would this produce 100% Lemon Cuckoo's? (Using a LC Boy to Buff Girls) or is it 50% LC and 50% Buff?
If its not 100% LC, is it sex linked i.e.all the LC will be girls and Buffs boys?
Thanks--your explanations are easier for me to understand

Hen-Gen
Hen
Hen

Post by Hen-Gen » 18 Feb 2011, 14:59

Hi Birdxman,
If the Lemon Cuckoo male that you use is true breeding for his colour then he will carry two copies of the barring gene. This means that if he is mated to some buff females then all his offspring will inherit one copy of the barring gene and so will be Lemon Cuckoo. However in the case of his sons because they only have one copy of the barring gene they will not be as well defined as their father and, if bred from, would only produce 50% of either sex as Lemon Cuckoo, the other 50% being Buff.
So the above tells you that if your present male only has one copy of this gene then only half his offspring come Lemon Cuckoo.
Though the barring gene is sex linked you do not need to worry about this if you are using a Lemon Cuckoo male. It only becomes an issue if you do Buff Male X Lemon Cuckoo female, this mating giving Lemon Cuckoo sons and Buff daughters.
If you have nothing
Give it away

heneypenny

Post by heneypenny » 24 Mar 2011, 11:45

Trish...my buff . She is a lovely girl, but rather erm...dim... :lol:

MrsMopp
Chick
Chick

Post by MrsMopp » 25 Mar 2011, 16:42

I love the furrowed brow - she looks a bit brahma like with that expression :grin:

heneypenny

Post by heneypenny » 25 Mar 2011, 17:21

:? Oh no....do you think she is a cross?

MrsMopp
Chick
Chick

Post by MrsMopp » 25 Mar 2011, 18:14

No. She's a lovely big orpington 8) I've noticed the beetle brow look on a few buffs, you don't seem to get it on other colours.

efwellywoman
Chick
Chick

Post by efwellywoman » 25 Mar 2011, 18:42

She looks lovely to me too -
I've got a Pownall Buff with a very similar expression - I'd always presumed it implied deep intellectual capabilities in an Orp, you know, like being able to recognise the breakfast bucket or knowing what to do with a worm....... :grin:
Welsummers, Vorwerks, Orpingtons in (taking a deep breath....)black-buff-buff columbian-crele -partridge & red, two totally indolent equines, two occasionally useful(ish) German Shepherds, one non feral feral cat (who is NOT going to live indoors however pitifully he might sit with his nose pressed against the window - OK I've lost, he's got his own cushion now....) and a partridge in a pear tree.....nope, that's just the Vorwerks tree climbing again...oh, and not forgetting the O(ld man of the)H(ils) and the Offsprung.

heneypenny

Post by heneypenny » 25 Mar 2011, 20:52

Phew!....thought id been had then.....my speciality is ex-batts and there is no mistaking them :? .....but bright she isnt... :grin:

efwellywoman
Chick
Chick

Post by efwellywoman » 25 Mar 2011, 21:07

No doubt about it then, true Buff she is!
(I do love them really......) :grin:

heneypenny

Post by heneypenny » 25 Mar 2011, 22:16

Me too...she is ace :grin: ...the way she runs across the garden.....good for the soul she is ;)

creamcrackered

Post by creamcrackered » 27 Jun 2011, 15:48

Hi everyone.

I bought 3 chicks aged 8 weeks a while back, they are now 19 weeks and 2 of them have bigger wattles and combs than the other one. they are slightly sturdieras well. I have a feeling that they are boys but they haven't crowed ye, and i'm hoping that they are all girls and one is just a late developer :grin:

Does anyone now when I can expect them to crow or lay eggs?

MrsMopp
Chick
Chick

Post by MrsMopp » 27 Jun 2011, 15:55

Very roughly speaking around the 6 month mark for laying; could be sooner or later but if it hasn't happened by EO Sept then you will probably have to wait till next year.

Hard to say on the crow front but probably around the same time the girl comes into lay. The dominant male will be likely to shout first and mate with the hen. The other one may keep quiet, trying to pretend he's a girl. Or not. :grin: Either way, assuming you do have 2 boys and one girl you will need more hens; she will be worn out otherwise.