Orpington

One thread for each breed. Threads are started by a moderator - add information about each breed, and contact us to add another.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Orpington

Postby ladyplumber » 15 Jul 2012, 17:20

Welcome to the forum tillyhfd ! :wave:
1 BlackRock 2 Speckledys 1 Black Brahma 3 Light Sussex 1 Auracana 1 (noisy) Silver Laced Wyandotte 4 Marans x Cream Legbar
4 Barnvelder x Cream Legbar 1 Blue Splash Orpington 2 Chocolate Orpington 5 Gold Laced Orpington
ladyplumber

Liked in: 212 posts

Postby efwellywoman » 15 Jul 2012, 23:08

Hi there tillyhfd !
:toothy2:
Welsummers, Vorwerks, Orpingtons in (taking a deep breath....)black-buff-buff columbian-crele -partridge & red, two totally indolent equines, two occasionally useful(ish) German Shepherds, one non feral feral cat (who is NOT going to live indoors however pitifully he might sit with his nose pressed against the window - OK I've lost, he's got his own cushion now....) and a partridge in a pear tree.....nope, that's just the Vorwerks tree climbing again...oh, and not forgetting the O(ld man of the)H(ils) and the Offsprung.
efwellywoman
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 12 posts

Postby MrsMopp » 16 Jul 2012, 08:58

Welcome :grin: What pretty birds :grin:

As far as showing is concerned, both GL and SL are non-standard colours; so you would have to find a non-standard class to put them in (there aren't very many of these :( ). As far as breeding is concerned you'd be best off putting the GL hen to a GL cockeral, and the SL to a SL. These patterns are still being worked on in orpingtons as really their profuse fluff isn't the easiest place to try to 'fix' the pattern too! I would say your GL girl has the better lacing, but she isn't particularly 'typey' (which means her shape isn't as good as it could be) although it is always really hard to tell from a photo. Her topline isn't quite right - she seems to have quite a long neck in comparison to her cushion and tail; you should be able to see a U shape down her neck, across her back, and up her tail. And in an ideal world her lacing would go across into her black underfluff - but getting this right is very difficult indeed :grin:

The SL seems to be more typey, and the lacing is starting into the fluff :grin: However, the lacing is quite weak down her front and especially under her chin. You are looking for even widths of bands of black around each feather. They both seem to have good faces, combs and wattles, and wing carriage, and I presume the correct colour legs (I don't keep these colours so am not 100% sure).

Everybody says you should take type over pattern - its easier to correct the feather, rather than the body shape - so if you were restricted to one cockeral, then I would get a SL.

Sorry for the long post, hope it is a bit helpful anyway :lol:
MrsMopp
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 33 posts

Postby tillyhfd » 16 Jul 2012, 09:50

Hi everone thank you for the welcome. Thank you MrsMopp for your post it was very interesting to have an opinion on them, if a little depressing :(, when you say they could only go in a non-standard class would that include 'any other colour' or does that class still mean the standard colours? sorry so many questions :grin:
They still look pretty whatever, mouching round the garden, Ive got a bit addicted only started off with a couple of ex-battery hen no have a mix bunch of hybreds, 2 blue laced wyndottes, my orpingtons and some OEG!
Thanks again

Carolyn x
tillyhfd
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 7 posts

Postby MrsMopp » 18 Jul 2012, 16:14

Hi again - I just happened to notice you've posted a pic of the GL on another site....and hey presto she is a lot more orpy-like =D> Photos can be very deceiving; I think she must have just had her head out for a stretch on here and that flattened her back off :grin: Don't be put off by my remarks, now we know she has the right topline as well as good lacing, she is much more promising. And if you could only have one cockeral, I'd now get a GL :grin:

However, to answer your question, I'm afraid she does have to go into a non-standard class, she would still be passed over if you put her in an AOC (any other colour) class. However, you could enter her anyway, particularly if its a small show, the judge might take pity on you and assess her, but in any case you can always ask the judge afterwards what he/she thinks of the strengths/weaknesses of your hen. Most judges are happy to chat especially to encourage newcomers! If she did well, you could think about one of the big winter shows. Although these are the 'creme de la creme' its so hard to find NS classes (fingers x there is one for orps) that I think you are justified in trying your luck there; it would be one of the few places you'd ever see other GL birds in the show ring so you could compare them with yours.
MrsMopp
Chick
Chick

Postby tillyhfd » 18 Jul 2012, 18:28

Thank you Mrsmopp, thats quite encouraging think I might have a go in a show just for a bit of fun and as you say to get some good advice, thanks again for your feedback.

Carolyn x
tillyhfd
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 7 posts

Postby dipstic » 20 Feb 2013, 18:20

These are our newest addition to our flock. Lovely big girls, but not appreciated by the six existing ladies yet. Run is divided and they have their own house for a while, but trying some supervised integration around the garden. A couple of battles where we had to step in but early days yet.
dipstic
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 1 post

Postby MrsMopp » 20 Feb 2013, 18:56

Lovely mix of colours:grin: Are they LF then? They look like bantams in the photo! They've still got a bit of growing to do yet either way, thanks for sharing them :grin:
MrsMopp
Chick
Chick

Postby dipstic » 20 Feb 2013, 19:04

Maybe the picture is deceptive, but they are large fowl - very large! Only 8 months old but already as big as our two year old girls.
dipstic
Chick
Chick

Postby ladyplumber » 20 Feb 2013, 19:06

Very pretty :grin:
1 BlackRock 2 Speckledys 1 Black Brahma 3 Light Sussex 1 Auracana 1 (noisy) Silver Laced Wyandotte 4 Marans x Cream Legbar
4 Barnvelder x Cream Legbar 1 Blue Splash Orpington 2 Chocolate Orpington 5 Gold Laced Orpington
ladyplumber

Liked in: 212 posts

Postby efwellywoman » 20 Feb 2013, 19:43

Lovely girls, thanks for sharing their photo. :grin:
I wish my runs looked like yours!
:toothy2:
Welsummers, Vorwerks, Orpingtons in (taking a deep breath....)black-buff-buff columbian-crele -partridge & red, two totally indolent equines, two occasionally useful(ish) German Shepherds, one non feral feral cat (who is NOT going to live indoors however pitifully he might sit with his nose pressed against the window - OK I've lost, he's got his own cushion now....) and a partridge in a pear tree.....nope, that's just the Vorwerks tree climbing again...oh, and not forgetting the O(ld man of the)H(ils) and the Offsprung.
efwellywoman
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 12 posts

Postby dipstic » 20 Feb 2013, 21:22

Here's our run. Hopefully once the girls are friends we can get rid of the smaller house. (Which my husband had to knock up in two days - he also made the field shelter). We use hardwood chips meant for playgrounds, which don't rot down, but we still change them twice a year. We had a lot of flooding in the run last year but the chips held their own. Note the decoy kestrel and owl guarding the feeders. We get hundreds of starlings in the winter who were emptying their feeders in a day - since we put the decoys out - they don't come near. Highly recommended.
dipstic
Chick
Chick

Postby MrsMopp » 21 Feb 2013, 10:14

OK so now we are all jealous :lol: :lol: :lol: Thats a lovely set up you have =D> And I can see your girls are large :lol:
MrsMopp
Chick
Chick

Postby dipstic » 21 Feb 2013, 16:36

Thanks for the nice comments. I suppose they are a bit spoilt :grin:
dipstic
Chick
Chick

Postby Clarissa » 26 May 2013, 09:09

Hi I'm new here,live in portsmouth have two hens leg horn and a blue.had ex batts now gone to chicken heaven but had a great year first.have yearned for the gold laced orpington (two please) but do you think I can find any? I have emailed two breeders and had no answer at all,phoned left messages to no avail. At a loss now.... have revamped the coop extended run and my two girls look very lost in there now. Any ideas? :-k
Clarissa

PreviousNext

Return to Breeds