Orpington

One thread for each breed. Threads are started by a moderator - add information about each breed, and contact us to add another.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Orpington

Postby creamcrackered » 27 Jun 2011, 17:16

Just seen the 2 I think are boys fighting, neckfeathers up and jumping at each other. Trouble is if they are boys I'll have to re-home them :(
creamcrackered

Liked in: 1 post

Postby chocyorp » 22 Sep 2011, 20:46

I have a chocolate orpington bantam trio. I just wondered if lots of people on here keep these? They are a lovely breed. I also have a large breed slash orpington, I have had her about 10 weeks and she has not laid an egg but she looks lovely!
chocyorp

Postby happyshens » 22 Sep 2011, 21:20

I don't keep them but always can't help admire the fluff on them, especially the blues
happyshens

Postby lukeross » 23 Sep 2011, 10:36

They are lovely balls of fluff, well until it rains! Of the two blacks I have, one has a red leg ring so I can tell them apart. That's the theory, but you often can't see their legs as the undercarriage hides them.
lukeross
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby chocyorp » 23 Sep 2011, 12:14

That should be splash orpington!!!

They do look a bit sorry for themselves in the rain. Are your blacks bantams? I think the chocolate ones are being bred in large foul now, I would love to get my hands on some of them.
chocyorp

Postby lukeross » 23 Sep 2011, 13:16

Mine are LF, so they look pretty big (though it's all feather).
lukeross
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby efwellywoman » 13 Feb 2012, 20:33

Flags, banners and loud cheers from Mid Wales!!!!!
Two of my Buff Columbian Orps have started laying.
Sorry chaps....I just get a bit excitable when it looks like spring.....
Welsummers, Vorwerks, Orpingtons in (taking a deep breath....)black-buff-buff columbian-crele -partridge & red, two totally indolent equines, two occasionally useful(ish) German Shepherds, one non feral feral cat (who is NOT going to live indoors however pitifully he might sit with his nose pressed against the window - OK I've lost, he's got his own cushion now....) and a partridge in a pear tree.....nope, that's just the Vorwerks tree climbing again...oh, and not forgetting the O(ld man of the)H(ils) and the Offsprung.
efwellywoman
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 12 posts

Postby bucilla » 11 Mar 2012, 12:50

i hatched 4 gold laced orphington bantams in july last year 3 girls and one boy i had hoped i could keep him but he got to loaud so hes living on a farm now lol love my girls there so funny and cute
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k166/ ... 3862_n.jpg
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k166/ ... 8179_n.jpg

i have 6 silver laced bantams in my inky due to hatch on tuesday :D cant wait
bucilla

Postby bucilla » 11 Mar 2012, 12:58

this is a pic of my lad before he went
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k166/ ... 3254_n.jpg
bucilla

Postby yorkshire duck » 29 May 2012, 12:00

I love my orps, they are such friendly, beautifull birds. The pictures of different coloured orps are all loveley, I'd love to have some lavender or gold laced, they are truely gorgeous, but our bog standard buffs are all gorgeous as well, we've just hatched chicks under broodies & in the incubator so its buttless cuties everywhere here !
Chickens, ducks, geese, horses, dogs, cats & anything else that turns up on our doorstep won't be turned away.
yorkshire duck
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 8 posts

Postby Laine » 01 Jun 2012, 11:47

Any orp people know what colour this little lady is?? She is my liveries hen. she has a young blue splash boy she is selling and will be selling the hen too but doesnt know what to advertise her as!

This is the boy

Laine

Postby MrsMopp » 01 Jun 2012, 21:13

She isn't a standard colour - she looks like a mismarked silver birchen. The collar is right but the body should be a solid colour over the back and tail.
MrsMopp
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 33 posts

Orpington

Postby Laine » 01 Jun 2012, 23:13

Someone has told her black mottled?? I have no idea!!! Will tell her what you have suggested. Thank you

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?suw1rl
Laine

Postby MrsMopp » 02 Jun 2012, 17:22

She isn't mottled - that would be more random white splodges (technical term!) at the ends of her feathers. She has got a bit of what looks like silver lacing, but a real SL bird would have it all over. I believe (but am not sure) that birchen is bred from SL or GL birds, but the idea is to get rid of most of the lacing except on the breast :grin:
MrsMopp
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 33 posts

Postby tillyhfd » 15 Jul 2012, 11:29

Hi this is my first post thought i'd show you my girls, any comments on if they are any good for showing? I havent got a cockerel for them yet any advice on what colour to get im try to get a grip on genetics but spelling it right is as good as it gets :grin:

Carolyn x
tillyhfd
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 7 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Breeds