Orpington

One thread for each breed. Threads are started by a moderator - add information about each breed, and contact us to add another.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Orpington

Postby efwellywoman » 26 May 2013, 15:27

Hi Clarissa and a big welcome to PKF :wave:
Re Gold laced Orps, like everyone else I sold out of 2012 hatched stock very early this year (by early April), but am currently in the middle of this years hatching and can do Gold laced from Middleton & Boyd bloodlines, for collection from 8 weeks (unsexed) to 6months (sexed) - Because of rocketing feed costs, I now hatch to order rather than just producing assorted chicks ad hoc

The only trouble is that I'm in Wales.......a bit of a long way from Portsmouth......
Gold laced hatching eggs any good to you? :sunny:
Welsummers, Vorwerks, Orpingtons in (taking a deep breath....)black-buff-buff columbian-crele -partridge & red, two totally indolent equines, two occasionally useful(ish) German Shepherds, one non feral feral cat (who is NOT going to live indoors however pitifully he might sit with his nose pressed against the window - OK I've lost, he's got his own cushion now....) and a partridge in a pear tree.....nope, that's just the Vorwerks tree climbing again...oh, and not forgetting the O(ld man of the)H(ils) and the Offsprung.
efwellywoman
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 12 posts

Postby Clarissa » 26 May 2013, 16:50

OOOOHHHH thats my dream but as I dont have an incubator AND the fact that knowing my luck I would end up with all boys!! and then what??? I heard back from Ringwood orps today and he says I can have two at end of July at 12 weeks!!! SO excited!! How sad am I......... Nearly finished coop today as it was sunny, its been inspected by Joan and Raylene (leghorn and blue) they didn't seem impressed............... :cheers:
Clarissa

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Natchosdad » 27 May 2013, 00:38

dipstic wrote:...we can get rid of the smaller house. (Which my husband had to knock up in two days - he also made the field shelter). ...

He wouldn't like to come and knock up 3 or 4 for me would he :slurp :naughty
Nick
North Warwickshire
Natchosdad
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 15 posts

Postby MrsMopp » 27 May 2013, 08:43

Have you tried Priscilla Middleton direct? She is in Kent. Otherwise there are online listings of breeders usually arranged by county, or try the back of Practical Poultry magazine. You might be lucky and find one on pre-loved, but that is more of a lottery.
MrsMopp
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 33 posts

Postby Clarissa » 28 May 2013, 07:43

Chateau coop is now four feet off the ground which makes more space to walk about for girls, but will the Orpington's be able to walk up a ramp ok? My current two hens are lightweight and are running up it ?
Clarissa

Postby efwellywoman » 28 May 2013, 12:20

Most of my coops are also around three footish off the ground (to give dry space underneath for hangng feeders etc) and the Orps don't have any problem at all - even the super heavy old boys flap up easily - they do tend to go straight up without using the carefully prepared ramps though :roll:
The girls quite often perch on the roofs (rooves?) for a good natter in the evening as well and will fly straight up, though to look at them you'd think they would have all the lift off ability of the average cushion..... :lol:
Welsummers, Vorwerks, Orpingtons in (taking a deep breath....)black-buff-buff columbian-crele -partridge & red, two totally indolent equines, two occasionally useful(ish) German Shepherds, one non feral feral cat (who is NOT going to live indoors however pitifully he might sit with his nose pressed against the window - OK I've lost, he's got his own cushion now....) and a partridge in a pear tree.....nope, that's just the Vorwerks tree climbing again...oh, and not forgetting the O(ld man of the)H(ils) and the Offsprung.
efwellywoman
Chick
Chick

Postby Clarissa » 29 May 2013, 07:19

That's a relief I shall be finished next weekend and then it's just wait till end of July to get my girls,hope they integrate ok,I will be able to have them running next to each other but separate if it gets nasty , it's the leghorn she can be bit of a moo sometimes,the blue is a gentle girl. Gosh it's ages till July.......bummer.
Clarissa

Postby Natchosdad » 29 May 2013, 09:36

it's only two hatchings in an incubator :lol:
Nick
North Warwickshire
Natchosdad
Chick
Chick

Postby Clarissa » 29 May 2013, 11:03

Bet they are cute at 4 weeks...wonder if he would send photos............... :-k
Clarissa

Postby Natchosdad » 29 May 2013, 11:13

they're all cute at that age

Nick
North Warwickshire
Natchosdad
Chick
Chick

Postby Clarissa » 29 May 2013, 11:14

can you sex them at that age? if so why cant I have them now and keep them in the house??? :bounce: ?
Clarissa

Postby Stevieblue » 22 Nov 2013, 08:37

Here are my two Orpingtons. Er.....Well I would show you all if I could work out how to insert pictures.
1 x Blue Orpington, 1 x Buff Orpington, 1 x Light Sussex, 1 x Cream Legbar, 1 x Bluebell, 1 x Maran Cuivree, 1 x Brown Nick. 1 x White Star, 1 x Speckledy, 1 x Welsummer, 1 x Copper Black Maran and 1 x Speckled Sussex. And I was only ever gonna get two or three. How on earth did I end up with twelve?. Ah well.
Stevieblue
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby drfish » 22 Nov 2013, 10:24

Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.
drfish

Liked in: 704 posts
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Re: Buff Columbian Orpingtons

Postby efwellywoman » 24 Jul 2014, 01:18

Evenin all.
Due to the imminent loss of my labour force who's disappearing off to Uni in September, I've been cutting down on my bird numbers and deciding which Orp. colour groups to continue with. The issue that I've come up against is that I seem to be the only person around who is keeping a breeding group of Buff Columbian Orps - As it's a bit concerning to think that this colour form might be lost if anything happened to my birds, I'm really hoping that this isn't the case and that there are lots more unknown breeding stock out there that I simply don't know about….

I've tried contacting the Orpington club but not even received an acknowledgement of emails let alone a reply, and I know that Essex Orpingtons have Blue Buff Cols, but that's not quite the same thing as the pure coloured Buff Cols, so I just wondered if there was anyone else out there breeding them? Or even anyone interested in doing so……
All information gratefully received

DSC_0132.jpg
DSC_0115.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
efwellywoman
Chick
Chick

Postby jasonmiddleton » 30 Jul 2014, 17:42

Wow. You have some fine looking Orpingtons. I've never seen that colour before anywhere. You might be able to help me. We have our first Orpington, who's about 12 weeks old. I'm concerned that the pop hole we have might be too small when she's fully grown as the hole is 25cm high and 20cn wide. How large to they get and what sized pop hole would you suggest?
jasonmiddleton
Chick
Chick

Previous

Return to Breeds