sebrights

One thread for each breed. Threads are started by a moderator - add information about each breed, and contact us to add another.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Elly » 31 May 2008, 10:57

On a recent visit to Banham Zoo I saw these beautiful little chickens and cockerels running around. I instantly fell in love with them, even though the cockerels were making a right old racket :lol:

Now I need to know more about them. I want to add some bantam/small pure breed chickens to my collection, but want to make the right choice. They wont be used for meat and eggs are a bonus. Questions:
How friendy are they?
Are they regular layers?
Can the free range?
How hardy to English weather are they (seems odd to ask as they are a english breed I believe) ?
How easy is it to sex chicks?
Does anyone know of a breeder in the Norfolk/surrounding area?

Thanks for any help
Keep smilin
Elly
Elly

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Tahir » 02 Jul 2008, 21:43

Elly wrote:On a recent visit to Banham Zoo I saw these beautiful little chickens and cockerels running around. I instantly fell in love with them, even though the cockerels were making a right old racket :lol:

Now I need to know more about them. I want to add some bantam/small pure breed chickens to my collection, but want to make the right choice. They wont be used for meat and eggs are a bonus. Questions:
How friendy are they? they can be quite flighty, but if you spend time with them they will get more freindly
Are they regular layers? they aren't that good layers like most bantams, but there eggs are very tasty :wink:
Can the free range? I let my trio free range when ever possible, they need a lot of exercise.
How hardy to English weather are they (seems odd to ask as they are a english breed I believe) ? I wouldn't know because i live in australia were it is fairly warm all year round, but they see very hardy
How easy is it to sex chicks? I use wing feather sexing on day olds, but i'm sure as they get older you can notice the size difference in their combs and wattles
Does anyone know of a breeder in the Norfolk/surrounding area? No

Thanks for any help
Keep smilin
Elly
Tahir

Postby Tahir » 02 Jul 2008, 21:45

here is a great example of a golden sebright hen, this girl came first and champion in class against 20 other sebrights, including the judges which had 4 birds entered :wink:

Tahir

Re: sebrights

Postby nigel » 14 Mar 2009, 16:54

just seen some of these for sale - i've never seen gold/white sebrights before, it's apparently a new colour in Sweden, i kind of like it.
People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they never use
-Kirkegaard
nigel
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 51 posts

Postby SkyChild » 26 Mar 2009, 12:29

That's a beautiful colour - so unusual!
These little lovelies have just been added to my "wanted" list. When will it stop?!
SkyChild
Chick
Chick

Postby SkyChild » 30 Apr 2009, 13:13

Hey there, just wondered. Sebrights - true bantams right?

Has anyone ever tried to breed a large fowl version? I know they'd be crosses at first, but thought maybe I could give it a go.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
SkyChild
Chick
Chick

Postby westcork » 12 Jan 2010, 15:39

I am trying to locate a breeder of quality Sebright bantams. Based in Ireland I would need to purchase hatching eggs. If anyone can help or advise I would be grateful. I have tried contacting the Sebright Club both by email and phone but no reply. Does anyone have up to date contact details. Many thanks !
westcork

Postby truebantamman » 05 Apr 2010, 17:52

brill birds i have not got this breed but are good friends with a breeder, briliant show birds and pets :meoww
truebantamman

Postby petchickens » 09 Jan 2011, 00:06

BEAUTIFUL little birds =P~
petchickens

Postby Bradders » 28 Feb 2011, 20:01

I have been thinking of getting a trio of sebrights, but i am not quite sure how loud the cockerals are. And if they will be ok to be kept in a residential area, and also which is the best colour to get.
Bradders

Postby pluckingpullet » 07 Jul 2011, 13:55

hi i'm trying to locate silver and gold sebright breeders in the southwest (devon) as i am very new to keeping and breeding these beautiful birds :) and only have a pair of silvers at the moment and some gold and silver eggs coming witch i would like to put underneath my oeg hens (oxfords and banties) oeg's are fantastic broodies they have raised oeg bantie chicks before will sebright chicks be ok under a same size hen or a slightly larger hen?
pluckingpullet

Postby tabsjelu » 22 Sep 2011, 13:25

Such strange beautiful looking birds. When I first saw them in a magazine their eyes kind of freaked me out abit as they look all black. But wouldnt mind getting some in the future. What are their characters like compared to other breeds?
tabsjelu

Postby pluckingpullet » 22 Sep 2011, 19:06

i have a few now and they seem really really placid with my oeg oxfords and banties ,wyandottes ,guinea fowl and so on they are really easy i have found and really brighten up my chicken house :)
pluckingpullet

Postby tabsjelu » 23 Sep 2011, 10:41

SkyChild wrote:That's a beautiful colour - so unusual!
These little lovelies have just been added to my "wanted" list. When will it stop?!

Haha I have one of those lists!
tabsjelu

Postby tabsjelu » 23 Sep 2011, 10:43

pluckingpullet wrote:i have a few now and they seem really really placid with my oeg oxfords and banties ,wyandottes ,guinea fowl and so on they are really easy i have found and really brighten up my chicken house :)

Thanks I was hoping someone would say they were placid. I dont mind speedy flying chickens but want to avoid typically aggressive breeds.
tabsjelu

PreviousNext

Return to Breeds