Marsh Daisys

One thread for each breed. Threads are started by a moderator - add information about each breed, and contact us to add another.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Marsh Daisys

Postby CP » 07 May 2010, 15:55

You either have to host them on an external site, or apply for gallery space on here. Click on the gallery link at the top of the page. ;)
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero
CP

Liked in: 171 posts

Postby trikelady » 07 May 2010, 18:27

first pic
chick md.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
trikelady

Liked in: 1 post

Postby trikelady » 07 May 2010, 18:30

there are 2 like this one which is much lighter than the last , there 3 weeks old
MD Chick.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
trikelady

Postby Gypsy07 » 08 May 2010, 22:53

Thanks for the help with posting my pics CP!

Okay, here are my two chicks at 18 days old. I'd like opinions from the enthusiasts as to how they look.
And please be honest. I won't be offended if anyone thinks they're not perfectly Daisy-ish!
I was worried at first cause they hatched out with pale pink legs, but they've greened up nicely now...

Gypsy07

Postby smiffy » 09 May 2010, 14:03

they look daisyish to me!!! :grin:
the legs do turn colour after hatch,,, i was so disapointed the 1st time i hatched daisys with yellow legs!
smiffy

Postby Gypsy07 » 10 May 2010, 14:23

smiffy wrote:they look daisyish to me!!! :grin:
the legs do turn colour after hatch,,, i was so disapointed the 1st time i hatched daisys with yellow legs!

Oh good! I've never seen a real Daisy in the flesh so I'm not sure what exactly I should be looking for in my chicks. I'm hoping to post photos as these ones develop and get confirmation from folk who know more than me that they are actually half decent examples. (Or not, as the case may be.) And yes, I freaked out a bit when they hatched with little pink toes. Cursing loudly and wailin "I've been haaaad!" etc etc... Nobody told me the green legs came later. LOL!

Are Daisys known to be particularly loud and boisterous? Just wondering cause these two are WILD. They're almost flying already which I really wasn't expecting so soon, and they're the noisiest chicks I've ever heard. Are they all like this?
Gypsy07

Postby trikelady » 10 May 2010, 16:54

Mine are halogens along with the Amrocks, there out side with a broody bantam. They fly up to the door, are on the hens perch,run like Minnie roadrunners!!!! as for picking them up !!!!! Its like fighting with my Rottie. But i do pick each one up every day, don't do anything else because that's the day gone :-'''
trikelady

Postby bantambob » 12 May 2010, 21:17

Some of my latest Daisy hatch
Wheaten Daisy Chicks

White Daisy Chicks

bob
bantambob
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby Gypsy07 » 13 May 2010, 13:27

trikelady wrote:Mine are halogens along with the Amrocks, there out side with a broody bantam. They fly up to the door, are on the hens perch,run like Minnie roadrunners!!!! as for picking them up !!!!! Its like fighting with my Rottie. But i do pick each one up every day, don't do anything else because that's the day gone :-'''

Ha. Haha. Yup, that sounds exactly like mine. They're feisty little buggers that's for sure. I like it! Can't wait to see them free ranging and flying about outside. Does anyone else here free range them? Do they come back to the coop at night or do they disappear off and roost in trees?
Gypsy07

Postby bantambob » 13 May 2010, 14:43

Gypsy07 wrote:
trikelady wrote:Mine are halogens along with the Amrocks, there out side with a broody bantam. They fly up to the door, are on the hens perch,run like Minnie roadrunners!!!! as for picking them up !!!!! Its like fighting with my Rottie. But i do pick each one up every day, don't do anything else because that's the day gone :-'''

Ha. Haha. Yup, that sounds exactly like mine. They're feisty little buggers that's for sure. I like it! Can't wait to see them free ranging and flying about outside. Does anyone else here free range them? Do they come back to the coop at night or do they disappear off and roost in trees?

I free range some of my flock of Daisies all return to their various huts /pens ect. each evening
bob
bantambob
Chick
Chick

Postby trikelady » 06 Jun 2010, 16:14

mine at 7 weeks
MD 7 weeks.JPG
MD Cockerel.JPG

sorry they not very good pictures, the devils are never still lol
trikelady

Postby alabaster cheeks » 23 Sep 2010, 18:38

i would say they are girls
the cocks are alot more colourful
imho
alabaster cheeks

Postby trikelady » 31 Oct 2010, 17:59

My are 28 weeks old today and still not laying, mind the Amrocks were born the same day and have just started laying. So fingers crossed my MD wont be long.
trikelady

Postby Gypsy07 » 17 Jan 2011, 05:33

Hello again, and a Happy New Year to everyone!

Well, since I last posted here my two chicks grew up into half decent looking cockerels. They've both got green legs, partially white earlobes and rose combs, though one's comb is 'pointier' than the other and I don't think it looks quite right. I'm also not sure what colour variant they're supposed to be. Comparing with photos online, I think they might be Wheaten, but one has a black chest. I shall post photos soon. And I have also managed to acquire a couple of hens, from a chap in Yorkshire. Again, not sure on colours, photos soon. Anyway, it looks like I've got the beginnings of a flock now!

Does anyone here keep records of egg production and breed specifically for that? Just wondering cause my hens have been laying well, ever through the winter, but the eggs are tiny. 45g average as compared with my Leghorns' 75g average. I know Leghorns were part of the original Daisy mix and I've read that in the past Daisies used to lay much bigger eggs...

Does the fluff colour of the chicks at hatching give any indication as to the colour they'll be when they feather out? Or is there no relation at all? Just wondering when I look at Bob's chick pics of assorted yellows, chipmunks and gingers...
Gypsy07

Postby bantambob » 06 Mar 2011, 10:17

The Marsh Daisy Breeders Group have put together some useful information

http://sites.google.com/site/marshdaisychickens/

bob
bantambob
Chick
Chick

PreviousNext