Marsh Daisys

One thread for each breed. Threads are started by a moderator - add information about each breed, and contact us to add another.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Marsh Daisys

Postby power poultry » 05 Feb 2010, 20:43

This Year breeding pens

power poultry

Liked in: 1 post

Postby bantambob » 06 Feb 2010, 00:52

Nice looking birds good luck with
your breeding season

bob
bantambob
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 2 posts

Re: marshies

Postby Gypsy07 » 26 Mar 2010, 13:28

Mr Cholmondley-Warner wrote:Perhaps you could tell me the secret you have as its took us 3 years to track down sources of proper marsh Daisy's. Most are exceptionally poor specimens no more Marsh Daisy than I am.I know of about 4 decent flocks in the country.

Hi, I'm hoping you or somebody else here might be able to clear something up for me. I'm confused about Marsh Daisies' earlobe colour. I have a large and fairly comprehensive chicken bible that says their earlobes should be a combination of red and white, but always more red than white. But from what I've read on the forum here, it looks like that isn't right. Should their earlobes be completely white? I really can't find any definitive description online...

I'm very keen to acquire some 'proper' Marsh Daisies. I am currently incubating 10 MD eggs that I bought online as I couldn't find any flocks near me (Glasgow) but I suspect they may not be entirely kosher. Would you perhaps be willing to point me in the direction of the decent flocks you know of? I keep my birds just as a hobby, not for showing or profit, but I don't want to breed from poor examples and thus contribute to the decline of genuine Marsh Daisies...

Thanks in advance for any help or advice anyonencan give me :-)
Gypsy07

Re: marshies

Postby bantambob » 26 Mar 2010, 15:59

Gypsy07 wrote:
Hi, I'm hoping you or somebody else here might be able to clear something up for me. I'm confused about Marsh Daisies' earlobe colour. I have a large and fairly comprehensive chicken bible that says their earlobes should be a combination of red and white, but always more red than white. But from what I've read on the forum here, it looks like that isn't right. Should their earlobes be completely white? I really can't find any definitive description online...
I'm very keen to acquire some 'proper' Marsh Daisies. I am currently incubating 10 MD eggs that I bought online as I couldn't find any flocks near me (Glasgow) but I suspect they may not be entirely kosher. Would you perhaps be willing to point me in the direction of the decent flocks you know of? I keep my birds just as a hobby, not for showing or profit, but I don't want to breed from poor examples and thus contribute to the decline of genuine Marsh Daisies...
Thanks in advance for any help or advice anyonencan give me :-)

The ear lobe colour for Marsh Daisies is White altough it is acceptble to show them with at least one third White ,
I am a member of the "Marsh Daisy Breeders Group" which is doing a census/survey on Marsh Daisies
which are kept by members of The Rare Poultry Society once this is complete i will be able to give more
information on sources for "proper " Marsh Daisies

bob
bantambob
Chick
Chick

Postby Gypsy07 » 26 Mar 2010, 19:19

Hi Bob, and thanks for the info. I'll keep checking in here then. And once my Maybe Daisies hatch I should probably post a photo for assessment! Cheers :-)
Gypsy07

Postby daisylover » 27 Mar 2010, 11:30

Hi all

I keep Marsh Daisies too
I'm in Devon.

Interested in the Marsh Daisy Club Bob, where can I read up on it?
daisylover

Postby Gypsy07 » 18 Apr 2010, 12:02

Hi again!

Well the first two of my supposed Daisys have just hatched, and they don't have green legs. Not sure exactly how to describe the colour really. It's kinda yellowy pale orange, with light toenails too. I take it this means that they're not pure Daisys then? Cause leg colour doesn't change as they grow, not in any chick I've ever had anyway. Humph! So much for the 'totally pure and came from a flock that was closed for years blah blah blah...'

Oh well. They're very sturdy looking chicks anyway and I'll be happy to hold on to them even if they're a bit iffy. But I'm still keen to get hold of some 'proper' Daisys.

Could anyone here give me an opinion on Northmoor Rare Breeds near Doncaster? Or Youldon Waters in Devon? Or is it not the polite thing to rate breeders on a public forum? Please excuse me if I'm breaching online etiquette here!
Gypsy07

Postby bantambob » 18 Apr 2010, 15:48

daisylover wrote:Hi all

I keep Marsh Daisies too
I'm in Devon.

Interested in the Marsh Daisy Club Bob, where can I read up on it?

Sorry i missed this when posted
i have sent you a PM with contact details

bob
bantambob
Chick
Chick

Postby bantambob » 18 Apr 2010, 15:58

Gypsy07 wrote:Hi again!

Well the first two of my supposed Daisys have just hatched, and they don't have green legs. Not sure exactly how to describe the colour really. It's kinda yellowy pale orange, with light toenails too. I take it this means that they're not pure Daisys then? Cause leg colour doesn't change as they grow, not in any chick I've ever had anyway. Humph! So much for the 'totally pure and came from a flock that was closed for years blah blah blah...'

Oh well. They're very sturdy looking chicks anyway and I'll be happy to hold on to them even if they're a bit iffy. But I'm still keen to get hold of some 'proper' Daisys.

Could anyone here give me an opinion on Northmoor Rare Breeds near Doncaster? Or Youldon Waters in Devon? Or is it not the polite thing to rate breeders on a public forum? Please excuse me if I'm breaching online etiquette here!

I have hatched a lot of Daisies and believe it or not i have seen the leg colour change !!!!!
@ 2/3 weeks so hold on a while .
I will send a PM regarding the breeders mentioned

bob
I
bantambob
Chick
Chick

Postby bantambob » 18 Apr 2010, 16:10

Some of my White Marsh Daisy growers( + Dandawari + Old English Pheasant Fowl )

bob
bantambob
Chick
Chick

Postby daisylover » 18 Apr 2010, 19:15

Youldon Waters in Devon have some exceptionally nice Marsh Daisies. I was there last week and his birds are stunning and to standard. I think most of the MD's in other flocks are his birds, he has some going to the Isle of White this week.
daisylover

Postby bantambob » 29 Apr 2010, 20:43

Marsh Daisy chicks & growers & pullet

bob
bantambob
Chick
Chick

Postby trikelady » 06 May 2010, 22:57

Hi all
I have hatched 3 M.D for the first time. Are the darker ones male. Hope so as that will mean i have 2 hens and a cock that i will be looking to swop with a unrelated one.
trikelady

Postby bantambob » 07 May 2010, 07:13

trikelady wrote:Hi all
I have hatched 3 M.D for the first time. Are the darker ones male. Hope so as that will mean i have 2 hens and a cock that i will be looking to swop with a unrelated one.

Sorry to disapoint you Marsh Daisies Chicks are not sexed by colour
if when about 3/4 weeks if you post some pics. it may be possible to tell

bob
bantambob
Chick
Chick

Postby Gypsy07 » 07 May 2010, 15:41

I'm wanting to post photos of my chicks her but can't find instructions in the FAQ to help me. Do I upload them onto the site first?
Please help! *computer dunce here* D'oh...
Gypsy07

PreviousNext

Return to Breeds