Marans

One thread for each breed. Threads are started by a moderator - add information about each breed, and contact us to add another.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Marans

Postby Tika77 » 09 Jan 2014, 12:28

Hi,
I've read somewhere that the eggs will only go lighter. I was also sold 'marans' but I think I've got some speckledys and my favourite girl justvlaid her first egg yesterday and it was a lot darker than yours on the picture as well.
Tika77

Liked in: 1 post

Postby wcah80 » 25 May 2014, 20:27

Are cookoo marans suposed to turn golden/brown in the summer?
I bought 5 pol pure cookoo marans at end of last year an now they must be about 10 months old but there feathers are turning a rusty colour, is this suposed to happen or are they a mix?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by wcah80 on 25 May 2014, 21:46, edited 1 time in total.
wcah80
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 0 post

Postby laffinfowl » 25 May 2014, 21:13

They look pretty good to me in the bottom pic,they do tend to get that tanned colour as the year goes on especially if they are out free ranging and its a good year for sunshine,cocks with their lighter grey feathering do tend to take on a golden colour sheen on their back feathers too. Best way to judge whether they are pure or not is firstly if they breed true and secondly what colour eggs they produce,normally a good dark brown(chocolate) colour fading as the season goes on,hens that produce good dark brown eggs all season tend not to be the best producers in a flock.
laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 197 posts

Postby wcah80 » 25 May 2014, 22:18

laffinfowl wrote:They look pretty good to me in the bottom pic,they do tend to get that tanned colour as the year goes on especially if they are out free ranging and its a good year for sunshine,cocks with their lighter grey feathering do tend to take on a golden colour sheen on their back feathers too. Best way to judge whether they are pure or not is firstly if they breed true and secondly what colour eggs they produce,normally a good dark brown(chocolate) colour fading as the season goes on,hens that produce good dark brown eggs all season tend not to be the best producers in a flock.

Oh thats ok then. Pic of eggs not as dark as i had hoped for.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wcah80
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 0 post

Postby laffinfowl » 26 May 2014, 10:12

Theres about 7 or 8 of my Marans eggs on this tray,them being the darkest ones,the rest are a mix of SS,Amrock and Cream Legbars
Image0691.jpg

Thats a fairly light colour for a Maran egg,mine tend to start the season laying very dark brown eggs and gradually taper off into a slightly darker shade than the one in the pic you posted,when people are given a choice of eggs when buying for hatching they naturally tend to buy the darkest ones available but thats not the way to go as the lighter ones will give you more productive pullets/hens in the long run.
laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 197 posts

Postby organic chick » 01 May 2015, 10:06

Still looking for one Maran for dark brown eggs and also to make a little boy very happy. I have been searching for ages to no avail. Needs to be N. Derbyshire area as cannot travel too far and hopefully in time to add to the flock on 1st July with another lot of newcomers. Not asking much am I but then I do live beyond the village of Hope!!!!
Penny and Freckles - the WArren Girls'
Star and Flopsy (the latter of the floppy comb) both members of the White Star Faction.
Fedora and Florence the Cream Legbars
Emily (see Emily lay) and Erica the Light Sussex babes
1 current husband aka the structural engineer
1 large organic allotment
The Lady Isabella Pickford-Fiennes, a feline of distinction and excellent mouser
organic chick
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 124 posts

Postby darkbrowneggs » 01 May 2015, 10:20

Out of interest never buy a Marans with white earlobes as in the middle of the photo posted by wcah80 - this is obviously a cross of some sort (Marans always have red earlobes) and crosses will not lay the dark brown eggs. there is information about Marans on The Marans Club website http://www.themaransclub.co.uk and details of suppliers and also if you phone the club secretary she may be able to help. As mentioned earlier - Marans should always have white rather than yellow legs, but some black at the front is permissible in pullets and this will normally fade as the laying season progresses
To follow my travel journal see www.thebusphoebeandme.us For lots of info on keeping and breeding Marans see www.darkbrowneggs.info
darkbrowneggs
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 32 posts

Postby organic chick » 04 May 2015, 17:02

Well we finally got one, picking up next month. And yes she has red earlobes. Thanks for everyone's help. :grin:
Star and Flopsy (the latter of the floppy comb) both members of the White Star Faction.
The Lady Isabella Pickford-Fiennes, a feline of distinction and excellent mouser

ladyplumber likes this post.
organic chick
Chick
Chick

Postby organic chick » 24 Jun 2015, 14:03

Well Mme. Mimi Maran is settling in well. Looks ready to lay but nothing since arrival. She is a Wheaten Maran. She looks huge against our little White Stars. Will post pics when I have more time.
organic chick
Chick
Chick

Previous

Return to Breeds