Marans

One thread for each breed. Threads are started by a moderator - add information about each breed, and contact us to add another.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Marans

Postby charliebear85 » 03 Mar 2011, 19:31

ok cool cheers for the comments :)

i have another chick looks exactly the same but with less white on the chest and that one has barred feathers coming through
what colour should the barring be on the chick?

cheersfor ur help :)
charliebear85

Liked in: 1 post

Postby laffinfowl » 03 Mar 2011, 23:34

For Marans black and grey/white but not as neat and defined as a Barred Plymouth rock,as they get older the pullets will be noticeably darker than the cockerels,usually can tell the difference when they are about 3 or 4 weeks old.
laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 197 posts

Postby charliebear85 » 04 Mar 2011, 11:34

oh ok cool :)

my other chick has got gray barring on the tip of its feathers il just have to wait till all its feathers come through :D

cheers for ur help :)
charliebear85

Postby storminstaffs » 24 Mar 2011, 13:12

my eggs that's hatching april fools day, out of the 12 i've seen movement in 9 of them :grin: which i think is fab for my 1st ever posted eggs, there cuckoo marans

there colour compared to my speckledy's egg
storminstaffs

Postby heneypenny » 24 Mar 2011, 13:24

Owwww, nice colour :grin:
heneypenny

Postby storminstaffs » 24 Mar 2011, 13:32

storminstaffs

Postby darkbrowneggs » 24 Mar 2011, 13:38

Hi pleased they are doing well for you.

I have been leaving them till the first one starts pipping then increasing humidty to 40 or just over. Don't be surprised if they take a little longer than you expect to hatch, and don't open the inccy once hatching begins (sorry if I am teaching my grandma/pa to suck eggs)

If anyone else is interested those are colour 4 eggs and I have (at present) some available just click on the little image of the world under my avatar to go direct to my Dark Brown Eggs website.

All the best
Sue
To follow my travel journal see www.thebusphoebeandme.us For lots of info on keeping and breeding Marans see www.darkbrowneggs.info
darkbrowneggs
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 32 posts

Postby heneypenny » 24 Mar 2011, 13:41

My marens eggs are brown with darker spots on....wonder why?
heneypenny

Postby storminstaffs » 24 Mar 2011, 14:52

darkbrowneggs wrote:Hi pleased they are doing well for you.

I have been leaving them till the first one starts pipping then increasing humidty to 40 or just over. Don't be surprised if they take a little longer than you expect to hatch, and don't open the inccy once hatching begins (sorry if I am teaching my grandma/pa to suck eggs)

If anyone else is interested those are colour 4 eggs and I have (at present) some available just click on the little image of the world under my avatar to go direct to my Dark Brown Eggs website.

All the best
Sue

yes there doing great, marked the one's i need to take out at lockdown to make it easier as well, lockdown is in 6 days \:D/
storminstaffs

Postby Chris Kurzfeld » 25 Mar 2011, 10:19

Marans eggs hatching as I type =D> :grin:
Chris

love me, love my 4 dogs, 3 cats, over 100 chickens (but don't tell OH) and 7 sheep - oops, almost forgot the 2 tanks of fish!

I live in my own little world but it's ok - they know me here!
Chris Kurzfeld
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 28 posts

Postby heneypenny » 25 Mar 2011, 10:47

How exciting :grin:
heneypenny

Postby Chris Kurzfeld » 25 Mar 2011, 11:15

They are froem my splash cock and blue and splash girls - hoping for a better result after the power cut disaster last time!!!!
Chris

love me, love my 4 dogs, 3 cats, over 100 chickens (but don't tell OH) and 7 sheep - oops, almost forgot the 2 tanks of fish!

I live in my own little world but it's ok - they know me here!
Chris Kurzfeld
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 28 posts

Postby charliebear85 » 02 Apr 2011, 22:18

does anyone kno if these are pure or cross breed marans?

chick one

chick two

Image Image

cheers
charliebear85

Postby laffinfowl » 03 Apr 2011, 09:40

Charlie if they are cockerels as most of us seem to reckon,then they are not light enough to be purebred Marans,might be easier to see if you got a pic of them standing or walking around,not always easy i know,if they are pure bred Marans cockerels,legs should be nearly white or off white and they should have a lot more barring and be a more light grey colour,the pullets would be a darker colour alright. Maybe we are all wrong and they are two Marans pullets :-k
laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Liked in: 197 posts

Postby charliebear85 » 03 Apr 2011, 21:01

ok cheers for that LF :)

well both chicks have black legs and only have barring on the chest there wings are black and in the sun have a tint of blue/green so im starting to think they are crossed with a black orp cuz the guy we got the hatching eggs off had black orps and he did say they could be pure or crossed

so im just gonna have to wait and see what they turn out like :)
charliebear85

PreviousNext

Return to Breeds