Pekins

One thread for each breed. Threads are started by a moderator - add information about each breed, and contact us to add another.

Moderator: Moderators

f1re_cr4cker

Re: Pekins

Post by f1re_cr4cker » 30 May 2010, 18:07

I am so excited I am getting 3 pekin chicks next weekend i cant wait!

Bradders

Post by Bradders » 02 Jun 2010, 08:40

Once my new pen is finished i want some more hens and i thought about Pekins
Are they easy to handle and are they flighty birds :?: and are they good egg layers

truebantamman

Post by truebantamman » 02 Jun 2010, 20:55

A brilliant bird for both showing and just pleasure, brlliant for kids and really easy to handle

ZacB
Chick
Chick

Post by ZacB » 03 Jun 2010, 06:46

Bradders wrote:Once my new pen is finished i want some more hens and i thought about Pekins
Are they easy to handle and are they flighty birds :?: and are they good egg layers
Only have a couple of Pekins Bradders but they are the most friendly of all our chickens. No objections to being picked up, big balls of fluff :grin:
Regular layers, although not the biggest egg, slightly smaller than banties & no to the flightly question.

f1re_cr4cker

Post by f1re_cr4cker » 07 Jun 2010, 08:28

my baby pekins!
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1 ... =623270124

i was just wondering is it normal for them to still be quite shy and flighty (had them since Saturday?) Is it just a case of handling them everyday so they get used to me?

CP

Post by CP » 07 Jun 2010, 08:32

Lovely birds f1re_cr4cker. :grin:

Food is an excellent way of getting them tamer. Don't rush them, they're still young & they've had a big change in their lives.
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero

Dado

Post by Dado » 19 Jun 2010, 09:45

Hello!

I want to show you my breeding Pekin bantams :)

I hope you like them! :thumbright:

Regards from Croatia!

f1re_cr4cker

Post by f1re_cr4cker » 20 Jun 2010, 13:42

aww they are lovely!

kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by kated » 20 Jun 2010, 15:16

They are beautiful! Well done!

robpolperro

Post by robpolperro » 02 Jul 2010, 22:49

Bought 4 more pekin hens the other day - all around 12 weeks old. One is a Wyandotte, Silkie, Pekin cross - looks like Road Runner with her tuft - will post pictures soon.

Does anyone have any advice on winter care? I know im a bit ahead of myself but they're in a run that can get quite muddy - they have paving slabs outside their door and we use wood chips and dust extracted hay for bedding. Will they need a heat lamp in extreme cold? - we're in a valley that doesnt see sun from Oct thru to Mar.

Cheers

Chris Kurzfeld
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by Chris Kurzfeld » 03 Jul 2010, 09:23

I don't have Pekins but got asked a question the other day - a friend of a friend wanted to know if I had them and if i did, did I have any pullets spare as she wanted to buy one or two for a special Birthday surprise for a girl who has some but has recently lost one. I said no but could find out if there were any near where they lived. The reply was that they had found a supplier but they wanted £15 each for them - now, I thought that was a good price to pay and is what I would have charged (if not more) for a POL Pekin pullet - but perhaps I am wrong, what is a fair price for a Pekin POL pullet?
Chris

love me, love my 4 dogs, 3 cats, over 100 chickens (but don't tell OH) and 7 sheep - oops, almost forgot the 2 tanks of fish!

I live in my own little world but it's ok - they know me here!

ilex

Post by ilex » 03 Jul 2010, 09:50

Yes, that is the going rate here . South East England . Unless a sort after colour or show bred Pekin .

thesmokindog

Post by thesmokindog » 13 Sep 2010, 14:27

Hi all

I am very new to this forum and quite new to poultry keeping. We started our poultry keeping with 3 ex battery hens, and after a little care and attention they have made nice hens and good layers. On Saterday we decided to go and have a look at our local poultry auction (god I hate these places), and we purchased this little lady for £3. As I am new to bantams I have a very simple question, what is she. I know she's a pekin and on the box it say partridge, is that right ?.
Like a complete fool I thought I could bring her home and simply put her with the others - OH NO they just turned into monsters on the spot, they didn't do her any harm but she was very shaken up. Needless to say I spent the rest of Saturday building her a new pen and run that she now shares with the Sussex cross pullet I bought at the same time for £1.

Aint she sweet

kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by kated » 13 Sep 2010, 14:42

She is lovely SD! Very pretty. Just a quick point - you are taking a risk putting her straight in with your existing chickens not just because they will not accept her straight off, but also she has come from a possible (probable) disease area. Auctions have birds from all different backgrounds some of which are not careful of their birds' health. Keep your newcomers away from the others for at least a fortnight.

thesmokindog

Post by thesmokindog » 13 Sep 2010, 17:39

Thanks for that Kated

They are seperated now and I will remember that in the future

Thank you
Andy