Pekins

One thread for each breed. Threads are started by a moderator - add information about each breed, and contact us to add another.

Moderator: Moderators

Czech_chick

Re: Pekins

Post by Czech_chick » 08 Aug 2009, 11:05

My pekins are about 20wks old now and still cheep like chicks... which is cute... but will they cluck when they are older or do they always make this cute little noises? I really dont mind either way... just wondereing.. :drunken:

perfectpekins

Post by perfectpekins » 12 Aug 2009, 11:47

We are adding new pictures daily and currently working on pics of pekins at day old for easy colour identification, please visit our new members only site

http://www.perfectpekins.com

tammy68

Post by tammy68 » 20 Aug 2009, 20:31

Can someone please enlighten us as to the colour of the Pekin on page 5 if this thread and posted by linb879 at the bottom of the page. We too have 2 pekin girls who look identical to this one and we'd love to know the official colour. We bought them as being Silver Partridge but, having 2 proper coloured silver partridge hens, they are a lot lighter in colour; they are lovely though. Do we have a new and exciting colour here?

tammy68

Post by tammy68 » 22 Aug 2009, 10:21

Hi Linb879

I put the link from this thread showing your hen and I have had a response this morning saying that they think she is a Salmon or Silver Wheaten. I don't know if anyone else has any better suggestions. The lady who answered my post said that she herself is not an expert on Pekins, but at least she took the time to reply. Here is the link to it http://www.kelseyinfo.co.uk/cgi-bin/yab ... 1250889000 :-)

tammy68

Post by tammy68 » 26 Aug 2009, 20:41

I have been told that our two identical hens are Silver Wheaten - pale ones. However, we have been breeding them both, alongside two Silver Partridge hens, to a Silver Partridge cockerel and they are breeding identical babies to themselves :-)

ilex

Post by ilex » 04 Oct 2009, 00:56

Can anyone tell me at what age do Mottled pekins get their mottling ? Also milliefleur pekins how long does it take for good marking to show through ? Are they like Siamese kitten`s`s and Dalmatian puppies developing their making`s later on ?

ilex

Post by ilex » 04 Oct 2009, 08:17

ilex wrote:Can anyone tell me please at what age do Mottled pekins get their mottling ? Also milliefleur pekins how long does it take for good marking to show through ? Are they like Siamese kitten`s`s and Dalmatian puppies developing their making`s later on ?
Also same question about Ancona`s ?

ilex

Post by ilex » 04 Oct 2009, 17:37

ilex wrote:
ilex wrote:Can anyone tell me please at what age do Mottled pekins get their mottling ? Also milliefleur pekins how long does it take for good marking to show through ? Are they like Siamese kitten`s`s and Dalmatian puppies developing their making`s later on ?
Also same question about Ancona`s ?
DO you know the answer or know where i could find the answer`s Please :-)

power poultry

Post by power poultry » 18 Feb 2010, 17:11

Here's some pics of my guys

ilex

Post by ilex » 19 Feb 2010, 09:46

Beautiful photo's cracking Pekins .Great Cuckoos`s :grin: Thank You for posting =D>

chickenrun

Post by chickenrun » 03 Apr 2010, 19:55

HiYa

I would also like to know the answer to the Mottling question.......

I have a mottled boy from Perfect Pekins. he is now about 30 weeks old and Ive attached pics of 'Squeak' as a chick and as of today and he started off with mottling but now he has one white feather on his foot!!!! When will he get his mottling ... or have I really just got a black??

As a Baby

Image Now!!

When will he be mottled??????????

ilex

Post by ilex » 03 Apr 2010, 20:29

I have completely changed my strain of Mottled Pekin`s now. As the previous stock had fading mottling as they grew. :( The strain i have now are hatching Black Mottled and Blue Mottled . And are from a top show strain . It is all in the genes.

truebantamman

Post by truebantamman » 05 Apr 2010, 17:50

i got my first trio of black pekins this year from carisle auction and they are the best breed in my allotment (apart from the dutch) i was really suprised how friendley they are!!

Florence

Post by Florence » 12 Apr 2010, 22:33

I have a pair of pekins in a Forsham 603 ark(we also have 4LF in a separate house rather like a Broughton)I'd like to get a couple more pekins but I think the forsam ark is too small,how much space do I need for 4 pekins,they free range for at least 50%of the day.I would have room in the other house for another couple but we have never managed to get the pekins in with the others and somehow I rather think they are better in separate houses.

daisylover

Post by daisylover » 18 Apr 2010, 19:33

Theres a huge amount of info about Pekins and a lot of breeders on www.pekinheaven.com (dedicated Pekin site).