Pekins

One thread for each breed. Threads are started by a moderator - add information about each breed, and contact us to add another.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Pekins

Postby Louth Chucks » 11 Jan 2012, 12:55

2011-09-10 16.09.02 (Small).jpg
Hi , im new to the breeding of chickens, and ive just acquired a rooster for my millefleur pekin hen. HOwever, the rooster is now 6 months old, but not sure if he is actually a millefleur himself. Do you think i should breed them? I have added the pics of each below.. theyre colouring is so different.. do u think he will change colour the older he gets? If hes not right i want to get a new rooster before breeding season!
All help appreciated..

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Louth Chucks

Liked in: 1 post

Postby kated » 11 Jan 2012, 17:58

Not sure if he is pure bred pekin - looks a bit of a mix. I'm not a pekin person and he is a youngster so I could be wrong.
kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 82 posts

Postby dan_sam » 02 Feb 2012, 19:51

One of my Chocolate ladies enjoying the sun this afternoon:

dan_sam

Postby jonewchick » 02 Feb 2012, 23:06

Louth Chucks wrote:
2011-09-10 16.09.02 (Small).jpg
Hi , im new to the breeding of chickens, and ive just acquired a rooster for my millefleur pekin hen. HOwever, the rooster is now 6 months old, but not sure if he is actually a millefleur himself. Do you think i should breed them? I have added the pics of each below.. theyre colouring is so different.. do u think he will change colour the older he gets? If hes not right i want to get a new rooster before breeding season!
All help appreciated..

Thanks

He doesn't look pure, sorry :( you better find different one for breeding.

Dan_sam - lovely chocolate! :sunny:
jonewchick

Postby Big D » 14 Feb 2012, 23:59

Do Pekin's dig?
If I'm ever asked this I can honestly reply......one Pekin does more damage to my garden than a flock of five Sultans and a couple of LF's put together :crybaby:

They are little feathery garden wrecking balls. Flower beds, pots, lawn edging nothing is safe from these little miners. If they weren't so cute you could get quite mad with them. Who knew something so small left such a large trail of destruction behind them :dontknow:
Big D

Postby steve_in_devon » 22 Feb 2012, 18:39

Looking for a cockerell pekin if anyone has any they need to get rid off.

Would love to increase my hens numbers aswell, as I have a lavender and a brownish one (not sure extact).
steve_in_devon

Postby Ilex Kent » 23 Feb 2012, 10:00

I have a very good quality proven breeder Millie Cockerel but i am in Kent . :(
Ilex Kent

Postby Ilex Kent » 24 Feb 2012, 06:04

Are you going to Salisbury Auction ?, i know someone who may take him there for you . :)
Ilex Kent

Postby Wilt » 10 Jul 2012, 16:13

Extract from book by Dr L C R Norris-Elye publication The Poultry Science Published circa 1903. :smt023

Chickens, are also food for the soul!

http://www.coachhousecochins.com
Wilt
Pullet
Pullet

Liked in: 16 posts

Postby Welsummer » 28 Aug 2012, 11:06

I have recently accquired 3 Pekins, I am 100% new to this breed and since Saturday have been reading up in a desperate attempt to glean knowledge so I can have an indication as to what sex my Pekins are. I bought them in a sale, they are fairly big and fluffy (big as in they need no heat lamp as they are well feathered, they have coombs and wattles, one appears more mature than the other 2. They are not in the best condition, (I now realise) in that they look a little mouth eaten and somehow flat, but I am hoping that with a good dose and some TLC they will soon start to shine.
However, I would like to know how I sex them!! I can't seem to find anything on here, and as I normally breed Welsummer (easy to tell) I wondered if there are any indicators. I have read pointy feathers round the neck is an indicator, well the larger one has these. As for colours, I have a white with black bits, a chestnut/brown/orange (take your pick) with some faint black bits and the large one is greeny black with white feathers around the neck, if photos ae required then I will tidy them up and take some.
Many thanks in advance. Ws
Welsummer

Postby jammin23 » 22 Sep 2012, 12:41

Hi guys this is my first proper post on here so I thought id share some pix of my pekins. I also have a question about my newly aquired cockerel I was told he was a silver laced but although he does have hints of lacing im not 100% sure if someone could help confirm whether he is or not!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jammin23
Chick
Chick

Liked in: 0 post

Postby kated » 22 Sep 2012, 15:09

He's a handsome chap, but not silver laced. I think it's more like a splash. Very pretty birds!
kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 82 posts

Postby jammin23 » 23 Sep 2012, 19:00

Thanks kated they are some blinding looking birds! Il try to get some more pics up of them if the weather clears up
jammin23
Chick
Chick

Postby Chris Kurzfeld » 24 Sep 2012, 09:15

I am about to get my very first Pekins next month - a black and white boy, a black and white girl and a black girl. :grin: . They hatched in June, how long before I can expect eggs?
Chris

love me, love my 4 dogs, 3 cats, over 100 chickens (but don't tell OH) and 7 sheep - oops, almost forgot the 2 tanks of fish!

I live in my own little world but it's ok - they know me here!
Chris Kurzfeld
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Liked in: 28 posts

Postby jammin23 » 28 Sep 2012, 14:33

Chris all my pekins are around 25 weeks old and ive had no eggs yet but im not holding my breath as ive read in more than one place that they might not lay till next year now!
jammin23
Chick
Chick

PreviousNext

Return to Breeds