Pekins

One thread for each breed. Threads are started by a moderator - add information about each breed, and contact us to add another.

Moderator: Moderators

jonewchick

Re: Pekins

Post by jonewchick » 03 May 2011, 11:43

thanks Rob, the last one is a bit tricky as suddenly started developing a bit of salmon colour, maybe it's not so visible on the picture. I'm 98% sure he's cockerel as much bigger then others and acting like one :) also few of them started little cock fights as well.... :)

clairebear5

Post by clairebear5 » 05 May 2011, 08:33

Wills and kate our new additions !

Hen-Gen
Hen
Hen

Post by Hen-Gen » 05 May 2011, 08:54

Certainly a great range of colours in Pekins. Very nice, clairebear5. I think Grant has designated this colour 'vanilla'.
If you have nothing
Give it away

jonewchick

Post by jonewchick » 13 May 2011, 12:37

Growing up so quickly :)

most of my 18 are boys but I think I'll have some good looking girls as well, what do you think?

and my fav boys

Fairfax

Post by Fairfax » 13 May 2011, 12:46

Really nice Pekins - that boy in the bottom photo is a lovely colour. What colour is it?

I had switched my incy off but I was so disappointed at getting all those Pekin boys that I have just ordered 18 Pekin eggs! :lol: Maybe there will be definite girls in my next lot. [-o<

jonewchick

Post by jonewchick » 13 May 2011, 22:04

Good for you! What colours did you get? :)

Yeah, that's my favourite boy. I don't think he comes under any standard colour of Pekins cause he is like very light blue/grey with orange/salmon bits. I'll keep him for breeding cause I would like to experiment with colours in the future :D

I'm sure you'll have some pretty girls this time!

and oh, do you remember pictures of my two lavender pekins that were feathering differently? Well both look like boys to me :) or one will be a girl with big comb ;)

atlantis

Post by atlantis » 29 May 2011, 14:23

Hi new to this forum and to keeping chickens and i have just got two Lavender pekin bantams cock 22 weeks old and hen 30 weeks old and is laying well and was wondering what age do hens go broody as would like some chicks of them any help would be appreciated thanks chris

Fairfax

Post by Fairfax » 29 May 2011, 16:43

jonewchick wrote:Good for you! What colours did you get? :)
All sorts - Lavender, Black, Salmon, Buff - ended up with 24 eggs but have just removed 5 clears (mainly lavender which is the colour I really want) ](*,)
atlantis wrote:Hi new to this forum and to keeping chickens and i have just got two Lavender pekin bantams cock 22 weeks old and hen 30 weeks old and is laying well and was wondering what age do hens go broody as would like some chicks of them any help would be appreciated thanks chris
Welcome to the forum. :wave: Pekins are supposed to be a broody breed but unfortunately this cannot be guaranteed. A nice spell of warm weather might encourage her to go broody - and leaving the eggs in the nest box for a while (better still dummy eggs). Could you post some photos? :sunny:

atlantis

Post by atlantis » 29 May 2011, 17:14

Here they are.
Thanks for the info i'll leave the eggs in from now on and hope??

Fairfax

Post by Fairfax » 29 May 2011, 18:53

They are really lovely. Hope I end up with some like that. You know what'll happen - she'll go broody just when you don't want her to.

Carol70

Re: Pekins - real beginner

Post by Carol70 » 08 Jun 2011, 16:19

We are looking into getting 4 pekins..1 cockerel, 3 hens. My question is. 'IF' we allow chicks to hatch (never done it before) do we need to remove the cockerel after chicks hatch?
Obviously I need to do some research on this subject and really don't know where to start.. any Ideas please?
Thanks
Carol x

Hen-Gen
Hen
Hen

Post by Hen-Gen » 08 Jun 2011, 17:01

The cockerel would not be a problem. But the other hens would be. A broody hen really needs to go into isolation right through the mothering process as other hens will lay in her nest, disturb the broody and sometimes kill chicks.
If you have nothing
Give it away

Carol70

Post by Carol70 » 08 Jun 2011, 18:07

Thank you Hen-Gen. I clearly need to do a lot of research on the subject. Maybe I'll hold off on the 'hatching' aspect for a while, until I know a whole lot more. :?
Carol x

karen872

Post by karen872 » 18 Aug 2011, 23:46

This may be a dumb question but what colour is wheaten? I've had a search around the internet for pics but the colour seems to vary so much I'm confused :oops:

These are my chicks the dad was black mottled and the mums could be wheaten or lemon, any idea on what colour they are?

Pekin Keeper

Post by Pekin Keeper » 26 Aug 2011, 22:38

Here's 2 of my wee Pekins, a red hen and red rooster:

They won 1st place at a local Rare Breeds fair last weekend.