Pekins

One thread for each breed. Threads are started by a moderator - add information about each breed, and contact us to add another.

Moderator: Moderators

thesmokindog

Re: Pekins

Post by thesmokindog » 11 Oct 2010, 14:30

Hi all :help:

I have a slight problem, as posted before we purchased a partridge pekin and have since obtained a blue and they are both doing fantastic in their own run and given a part of the garden to scrat around on in the evening. I must admit that we have fallen head over heels for pekins and wanted some more of varius colours to add to them. On saturday we went to Derby auction again (mistake) just to have a look around and meet a friend who wanted to buy Orpingtons if any where available. And sure enough my wife spotted a box which said 3 Millefleur pekin hens POL, quality garvo fed, and to cut a long story short we bid and won them :grin:

The Problem - As we where standing with our new hens a chap walked past and said "they are all cocks mate, didn't you know" NO I BLOODY DIDN'T, how would I know..... :scratch:

The Question - At this age is there anything I can look for to confirm the sex of these birds. I don't mind one boy but no way can I have three. Are we just a little thick or have we fell for a typical auction rip off or both..

All 3 are now in quarentine for the next couple of weeks, I could hope for an egg as this would at least let me know that 1 was a hen....but which one ](*,)

If they are all boys then 2 of them are available free to a good home - I AM NEVER BUYING FROM AUCTION AGAIN - NEVER :angryfire:

Any help please
Andy

Chris Kurzfeld
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by Chris Kurzfeld » 11 Oct 2010, 15:24

Don't know Pekins as a breed as I don't keep them but 2 of them look very hennish to me - no pointy hackle or saddle feathers. Hopefully someone in the know will be along soon that will know more than I do about them.

I do buy from auctions but am very wary and only buy if I know - or am prepared to take a risk if youngsters. I remember a few months ago being at one aution and there was a box of 6 Cream Legbar growers (about 7 weeks old), on the box it said they were all pullets. Looked in and, breeding these myself and knowing they can be sexed at hatch, could see they were in fact all cockerels. There were other CLB breeders there to who said the same and we were annoyed that someone was trying to pass them off as pullets. A young couple wanted to buy them and was asked if they were looking for 6 cockerels - they were really upset that someone was trying to pass them off as girls when they weren't. The chap who was selling them was nearby and was furious we had put the couple off - I told him to either change the notice to all cockerels or I would report him to the auctioneers - exit one very annoyed thwarted bad seller with said cockerels in their box ( I wonder what happened to the poor things, although I think we know :( ).
Chris

love me, love my 4 dogs, 3 cats, over 100 chickens (but don't tell OH) and 7 sheep - oops, almost forgot the 2 tanks of fish!

I live in my own little world but it's ok - they know me here!

thesmokindog

Post by thesmokindog » 12 Oct 2010, 14:15

Thank you

Will check feathers today

Anyone else got any ideas

Reagrds
Andy

Kayte

Post by Kayte » 12 Oct 2010, 14:39

Id guess 1 boy, 2 girls but there is no proof that they are all the same said age.

We have been caught out loads with this too. Chris we actually brought some CLB "pullets" at auction the other month... 2 were boys which keeled over after 6 days and we are left with one who we have no idea over. We also brought a box of 9 pekin chicks a while back and 5 died :roll: and all are different ages so hard to compare them to each other.

Think most people learnt he hard way with auctions unfortunately

thesmokindog

Post by thesmokindog » 12 Oct 2010, 15:49

Thanks Kayte

If it is 1 boy and 2 girls then i'm very happy with that I will just have to wait and see..

Oh yes we have learnt the hard way, no more buying from auctions for us

Regards
Andy

petchickens

Post by petchickens » 15 Oct 2010, 19:41

:help: where can i get hatching eggs from i live in leicestershire and would love some pekins eggs to put in my new incubator :grin: (im new to chickens by the way ) i have 3 silkies (1 male) and 2 araucanas and 2 hybrids but really want pekins thanks

jamie1

Dags on Bums of my Girls

Post by jamie1 » 27 Nov 2010, 10:23

Hi all
Just found this website whilst browsing and it looks good. Question for you all, I have two mottled pekin bantams who are beautiful and about 6 months old, one is broody but im getting some eggs for her . We are in the city but they free range around our back yard

Question for you all . I picked up Penny an felt around her bum and she has a lot of hard poo caked on her bum , should i be getting it off , I didnt notice before as her fluff covers it all
Is this normal ? how can i clean her ? or should I

Im a first timer on the chicken front

Bubbles92

Post by Bubbles92 » 03 Feb 2011, 22:37

Ohh been looking at those images of the baby pekin. So cute! I can say they are one of my favourite breeds for some reason.

Matthew Waller

Post by Matthew Waller » 15 Feb 2011, 00:26

hello peking lover,:D

i have sadly for sale 5 millie fluer pekins, three 2010 bred hens and a nerly 4 year old pair, They used to be shown by the original owner i have not shown them my self but aparently they won accouple of competitions. i am asking for £100, i have not handled them alot so they are skitish with me but some more love and attention they will be perfect friends also for showing they just need a good molt and some dry ground. beautiful chickens great personalities.

i live in lancashire inbetween preston and southport.

when agreed purchase, if requested i will attempt to clean them all up for you.:D

enyquestions just PM me:D also look on bid4poultry and birdtrader as i have them up on their. if you feel more cumfortable useing a more secure website.

regards Matthew
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Matthew Waller on 20 Feb 2011, 23:25, edited 1 time in total.

julieszoo

Post by julieszoo » 15 Feb 2011, 15:06

Hi Matthew - you might get more response if you asked the mods to put this in the sales section, and gave your location :thumbright:

Matthew Waller

Post by Matthew Waller » 20 Feb 2011, 23:21

i was in a rush and was going to add more later :P i am going to finish it off now and put it up on the sales page:P.

Matt:D

Matthew Waller

Post by Matthew Waller » 22 Feb 2011, 00:40

thesmokindog wrote:Hi all :help:

I have a slight problem, as posted before we purchased a partridge pekin and have since obtained a blue and they are both doing fantastic in their own run and given a part of the garden to scrat around on in the evening. I must admit that we have fallen head over heels for pekins and wanted some more of varius colours to add to them. On saturday we went to Derby auction again (mistake) just to have a look around and meet a friend who wanted to buy Orpingtons if any where available. And sure enough my wife spotted a box which said 3 Millefleur pekin hens POL, quality garvo fed, and to cut a long story short we bid and won them :grin:

The Problem - As we where standing with our new hens a chap walked past and said "they are all cocks mate, didn't you know" NO I BLOODY DIDN'T, how would I know..... :scratch:

The Question - At this age is there anything I can look for to confirm the sex of these birds. I don't mind one boy but no way can I have three. Are we just a little thick or have we fell for a typical auction rip off or both..

All 3 are now in quarentine for the next couple of weeks, I could hope for an egg as this would at least let me know that 1 was a hen....but which one ](*,)

If they are all boys then 2 of them are available free to a good home - I AM NEVER BUYING FROM AUCTION AGAIN - NEVER :angryfire:

Any help please
Andy
i read through quickly what other people said. but didnt grasp from what i read if enyone figured it out for you. do you know the sex yet? if not look at my pictures as my hens look alot smaller than your apparent ones. so i would have to say they are cocks along with their black tails they seem alot like cocks. im not completly sure as this isnt my main breed that i concentrate on. good luck sigh finding out:D

would you like mine:P?

Matt:D

DrRob72

Post by DrRob72 » 10 Apr 2011, 21:16

Here are some photographs we took this evening of our growers, 2 different Frizzles and a Charcoal Cuckoo Roo.

It would be great to know what everyone thinks about them please.

Kind Regards
Dr Rob & Sarah.

South West Poultry.
http://www.southwest-poultry.com

jonewchick

Post by jonewchick » 03 May 2011, 11:01

they look like wearing evening dresses ;) lovely!

I'm rubbish with recognising colours so I need a bit of help with few of mine. Do you know what they are?

DrRob72

Post by DrRob72 » 03 May 2011, 11:08

Hi,
We would say the first one will be a golden partridge cockerel - as he has a gold collar coming through,
Next one lavender or blue coloured,
Third and forth not too sure - the third one looks like it has both blue,lavender and partridge and the last looks like a cockerel by the stance with a blue and a lightish tinge of partridge to the feathering.

Obviously this is just our observation and it would be nice to see what others think.

Regards
Rob & Sarah.